Perry Mountain 24 Hour Challenge -- June 1-2, 2019

leeo45

Geezer in denial
I have made a new 24 hours of Starvation Ridge thread so that all the West Coasters could participate!

24 hours of Starvation Ridge in WA -- October 27-28, 2018

I saw the videos in the new Starvation Ridge thread and thought I would add one to this thread. The Perry Mtn terrain is nothing like the open fields in Washington. If you have raced an NEPG enduro in the southeast, the 24 hour trail is similar, but slightly more open and a little less technical, plus it normally includes a section of their MX track. Some of the trail is the same as their annual Gobbler Getter enduro. 2015 seems to have been a low dust, low mud year. Also, a little surprised there weren't more bikes seen during the lap.

This video will give you a little bit of an idea why you need lots of lights.

snydes

Staff member
I saw the videos in the new Starvation Ridge thread and thought I would add one to this thread. The Perry Mtn terrain is nothing like the open fields in Washington. If you have raced an NEPG enduro in the southeast, the 24 hour trail is similar, but slightly more open and a little less technical, plus it normally includes a section of their MX track. Some of the trail is the same as their annual Gobbler Getter enduro. 2015 seems to have been a low dust, low mud year. Also, a little surprised there weren't more bikes seen during the lap.

This video will give you a little bit of an idea why you need lots of lights.

Point taken.

The price difference on the race level lighting isn’t huge, at that point I guess it needs to be a balance of lumens vs. battery time. The 12” bar from Task is only something like $50-$60 more than the 10” but the time drops significantly. The top option is a hybrid system that utilities both a battery and the bikes existing power, which we’re not sure yet if the Altas circuitry would support the draw. The helmet lighting options are a bit less extensive. One light or two.

Either way it’s going to be a pretty big purchase per bike, which isn’t a deal breaker for me but may be a problem for other potential participants.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
OMG, his headlight and helmet lights are horrible!

I don't know for sure, but I suspect these are actually very bright and good lights to be able to record a lap at night. Getting even good lights to work well in this type of terrain with all of the whoops and elevation changes is a real challenge. You can see why you need lights on the bike and helmet, plus you need some "flood" type lights in addition to any long range "spot" beams.

Ideally, you could come up with a set of quick-release mounts to move lights between bikes and riders. You'll have some time between rider changes. You might be able to get by with just two sets of lights and a few extra batteries.

And another point that will seem obvious until you're in the heat of the race.... Make sure everyone gets to ride during daylight, even if it means shorter stints than are needed for the ALTA batteries. You don't want your first lap to be in the dark. Slow and dangerous.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I would rather buy my own lights. Moving lights from bike to bike is going to add to the stress and not to the fun. Then, setting them up at a wrong angle could make the racing more dangerous. Also, I will use these lights more than once, I am sure.

snydes

Staff member
I would rather buy my own lights. Moving lights from bike to bike is going to add to the stress and not to the fun. Then, setting them up at a wrong angle could make the racing more dangerous. Also, I will use these lights more than once, I am sure.

I agree. Maybe we can see if we could arrange a group buy with Task Racing.

MrTaskRacing

2018 24 Hour Challenge

Perry Mountain 24 Hour Challenge

June 2019

6 man 6 bike class.

25-30 minute laps average.

Track consits of motocross track, grass track and and some of the best flowy woods in the nation.

Use Task Racing helmet lights and light bar with external battery.
Task Racing

Possibility of having 240v ran to our pit.

I need atleast 5 guys for a team

If we are able to get multiple teams we could create E-class

Who is in?

TASK RACING:
When you are ready to organize a Team, I can help. This is an exciting project I'm happy to help sponsor a full Alta Motorcycle team with some discounted/sponsored lighting . I attend this race every year, so it would be really fun to see. This year we saw an Alta pull the hole shot by like 5 bike lengths, which was eye opening! Talked with Steve a bit, and I can steer you guys the right way on your bike and helmet light set ups. Just reach out with a representative of the Team, and I'm open to a conference call or just giving you a sponsored team discount under a specific coupon code on my website and you guys can order on your own. Task Racing is THE RACERS CHOICE -- this is what we do--24hr racing and night racing/riding. We have the set ups, we just need to figure out what is best for you. At race pace, one helmet light and one light bar is enough light to get you around the track at race pace, at least with our products;-)
Let me know if you need any help. Feel free to reach out via phone or email. Happy to help gents! Cheers, Mark Slover at Task Racing

evh1

Guys...syndes posted an offer to ride the 24hr with y'all.
I am very interested. I did the 24hr on the inaugural race and it was crazy fun. I think an all Alta team would be great. Keep me in the loop. I'm 58 but still into moto. I've ridden SERA at Vet B alot so I hope I can stay on pace. Many miles at Maplesville thru the years will help too I reckon.
Lighting discussion is very good. The light rep chiming in is nice. Maybe by then Alta will be in good shape and might be all over this with it having national exposure now and even in the bike mag articles. Unique opportunity.

MrTaskRacing

Guys...syndes posted an offer to ride the 24hr with y'all.
I am very interested. I did the 24hr on the inaugural race and it was crazy fun. I think an all Alta team would be great. Keep me in the loop. I'm 58 but still into moto. I've ridden SERA at Vet B alot so I hope I can stay on pace. Many miles at Maplesville thru the years will help too I reckon.
Lighting discussion is very good. The light rep chiming in is nice. Maybe by then Alta will be in good shape and might be all over this with it having national exposure now and even in the bike mag articles. Unique opportunity.

Saw an alta at last years Perry Mountain. Pulled the holeshot by like 6 bike lengths over 450's in the pro class. Was cool to see!!

evh1

Saw an alta at last years Perry Mountain. Pulled the holeshot by like 6 bike lengths over 450's in the pro class. Was cool to see!!

I think that was Eric from Max Motorsports on an MX. It was a ridiculous holeshot coupled with a dead engine start that favors an Alta big time. He showed me a video of it and now I'm dreaming of doing the same.

snydes

Staff member
I've used my '17 MX in three SORCS hare scrambles since I've had it...and had three decisive holeshots. That endurance race sound like fun.
You are welcome to put your name in the hat for this race! We have 6 guys that have said they are willing to try (7 including the southeast Alta rep who supposedly said he is interested). If we get enough for multiple teams the original poster (who has seemed to have vanished unfortunately) said he might be able to put together an e-class.

wildman240

You are welcome to put your name in the hat for this race! We have 6 guys that have said they are willing to try (7 including the southeast Alta rep who supposedly said he is interested). If we get enough for multiple teams the original poster (who has seemed to have vanished unfortunately) said he might be able to put together an e-class.
Sign me up! I'd love to be a part of that event.