Perry Mountain 24 Hour Challenge -- June 1-2, 2019

snydes

Staff member
I don’t know where the potential riders listed stand for this race at this point. Emoto2577 proposed the idea and then dropped off the map and never followed up.

CK696

Hey guys,

Sorry I have been away. I sadly lost my father recently. and shortly after that, I decided he was the reason why I moved from AZ to Louisiana, and as such, I have decided to move back to AZ this year.

I wanted to let you all know, I am still very interested in this, if there is a spot for me. I have been spending a lot of time on my MXR, and I have her dialed in just about perfect.

I've been training with some top 5 intermediate racers, and a few expert class, in our local races out here (LACC and SERA), and I'm banging bars with those guys. The only reason I am not racing the Alta, is the faster and better I get on the MXR, the shorter and shorter the battery life is getting. There is no way I can finish a 90 minute hare scramble, as hard as I am pusher the bike now.

At any rate, if you still have room, I am still very interested.

MrTaskRacing

The nice thing abou the Perry Mountain 24hr Challenge, is that is usually never " sells out ". the venue is pretty large, and they are super flexible and nice, so I would think if you wanted to continue to try and organize, that you have plenty of time to do so. If you get something organized my May time period, you should be good to race I'm sure.
Brad Belcher, the President of Perry Mtn is a peach and would be very accommodating.
Sorry to hear about your father CK696. Hang in there man~
Mark Slover at Task Racing

Larry Wolfe

I just finished watching that full course video.... that's a really nice loop! 2 laps is definitely possible depending on the rider as you said. Then 1.5 to 2 hours max recharge time depending on what bike you have and how far down you ran it, which if making two laps it should be pretty low. The 6 bike format should be about ideal for the Alta.
What class would we run in? I'm down too!

leeo45

Geezer in denial
What class would we run in? I'm down too!

That will depend on who is on the team or teams. Here are the team categories for the six bike teams based on the 2018 rules.

- Open Six Bike team: Unlimited rider ability class. No restrictions on rider ability or age.
- Novice Six Bike team: Limited to only ‘B’ and ‘C’ class racers. No A riders allowed in Novice. No age restrictions.
- 30+ Six bike team: All riders must be over the age of 30 at the time of the race. ID’s will be checked.
- 45+ Six bike team: All riders must be over the age of 45 at the time of the race. ID’s will be checked.

The cutoff ages for the age based classes change on occasion so you'll need to see the 2019 rules to be sure if you are thinking about an age class. Also, Phillip posted a link to the 2018 rules and a synopsis of the key rules in post #31 of this thread. If the team is interested in competitively racing in a class, you can look at lap times and finishing positions from previous races to see how the age based classes compare to the Novice and Open classes. People are usually pretty good about not sandbagging in the Novice class in this race, but a strong 'B' rider is still plenty fast.

evh1

brrrrt...brrt...brrrt!
Really -
at one time we had 6 folks signed up. Maybe they have the Forum thread notes turned off. I'm not sure I wanna do Ironman..but it's possible.
Hopefully, we will get MrTaskRacing to do us an Alta lighting discount pkg

wildman240

brrrrt...brrt...brrrt!
Really -
at one time we had 6 folks signed up. Maybe they have the Forum thread notes turned off. I'm not sure I wanna do Ironman..but it's possible.
I already have my light kit from him and I've even upgraded it to be water resistant. I'm heading up to NY to be on the NE 24hr team in July. Was planning on this one to be a good shakedown test since it's in my backyard from Atlanta.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
brrrrt...brrt...brrrt!
Really -

Here is the list from Snydes post on page three plus adding Larry from this page. I think everyone on the list should get an email notice with this post. I have TBD grandkid duties in the Summer, but I will be glad to help in the pits if I can make it.

@Emoto2577 :ricky:
@snydes :ricky:
@MattB :ricky:
@Philip :ricky:
@CK696 :ricky:
@evh1 :ricky:
@wildman240 :ricky:
@Larry Wolfe :ricky:

Dates are June 1 & 2, 2019 (3 months from tomorrow)

Here is the updated info on the 6 rider classes:

SIX BIKE CLASS TEAMS
- Six Bike Team Classes will be:
Expert - Limited to a maximum of two AA class racers.
Sportsmen - Limited to a maximum of two A class racers.
Novice - Limited to only ‘B’ and ‘C’ class racers. No A riders allowed in Novice.
30+ - Riders must be over the age of 30 at the time of the race. ID’s will be checked.
45+ - Riders must be over the age of 45 at the time of the race. ID’s will be checked.
Women - Riders must be female at the time of the race. ID’s will be checked.
- Six Bike Teams are allowed up to six riders and six bikes per team.
- No rider substitutes after registration closes at 8:00pm on Friday 5/31/19
- Any team that allows a non-team member to ride or that rides a non-team bike will be disqualified.
- Riders can share bikes with teammates if necessary.
- All bikes must remain in the team’s assigned pit area at all times when not being ridden.
- Six Bike teams are not allowed backup bikes or parts bikes in their pits. Only the six race bikes.
- Six Bike teams are eligible for both their class trophies and top 10 overall trophies.
- Six Bike teams are only eligible for Six Bike Overall payout.[/quote]

And the link to the full 2019 rules and info: 2019 Perry Mtn 24

evh1

I already have my light kit from him and I've even upgraded it to be water resistant. I'm heading up to NY to be on the NE 24hr team in July. Was planning on this one to be a good shakedown test since it's in my backyard from Atlanta.
Would you share your light info and details with me in a PM?

wildman240

Waterproof? Do tell!
This is what I did....and may take it even further:

Baja Extreme 24Hr Racerpack
10″ Rech. Batt. Light Bar WITH Factory Baja Gore Fork Mount Pkg

He has given us special pricing with the "code" he posted on the lighting thread. And the savings is significant.

I disassembled the 10" bar light and used clear silicone to increase water resistance...both on the end caps and on the entire length of the lens area. Both inside and out. They clearly state to not submerge the lights in water or basically subject them to pressure washing. Well, we race in the rain/mud and I, at least pressure was my bikes. So I was compelled to help ensure they last longer by doing this to the lights. I have not finalized my plan on waterproofing the bar light switch (the interior of the switch is exposed) that gets mounted to the handlebar, but thinking foam and a rubber gasket arrangement should do the trick.

I'm also considering adding a full size Shorai battery under the seat and do a hardwire to it so I don't have to worry about changing out the battery pack on the bar light either.

snydes

Staff member
Registration for the Perry Mtn 24hr run is now open. Is this still something ya'll have an interest in ?
And crickets...anyone else? Or am I signing up to do Ironman (as painful as the recharging breaks would be)?

I think in order for this group to become a reality someone needs to step up as the lead guy for the race. The original poster of this thread Emoto2577 dropped off the planet so I think we can count him out. I have no doubt MattB is still game. I'm not sure myself, I think I'm down to a maybe. I'd would like to see a group do this one.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
If this race was closer, I would be interested, but June is not a good time of year for me to get out on the road more than a couple states from home.

If there was a September or October event, different story. Although in October I hope to be participating in the starvation ridge event.:ricky:

wildman240

Cat wrangling time. Who is willing to commit to doing this race? I plan on registering next week...so I'm either going to have a few other people's names/details or I'll be doing the impossible Ironman. Deadline to get me your respective details (First/last name, birth date, etc.) is Wednesday. I will not be able to get to the event early (ie, Thursday or before late afternoon on Friday) so don't count on me to score prime real estate for the pits. Showtime gents, 10 SECONDS! @motomatt50

wildman240

This is what I did....and may take it even further:

Baja Extreme 24Hr Racerpack
10″ Rech. Batt. Light Bar WITH Factory Baja Gore Fork Mount Pkg

He has given us special pricing with the "code" he posted on the lighting thread. And the savings is significant.

I disassembled the 10" bar light and used clear silicone to increase water resistance...both on the end caps and on the entire length of the lens area. Both inside and out. They clearly state to not submerge the lights in water or basically subject them to pressure washing. Well, we race in the rain/mud and I, at least pressure was my bikes. So I was compelled to help ensure they last longer by doing this to the lights. I have not finalized my plan on waterproofing the bar light switch (the interior of the switch is exposed) that gets mounted to the handlebar, but thinking foam and a rubber gasket arrangement should do the trick.

I'm also considering adding a full size Shorai battery under the seat and do a hardwire to it so I don't have to worry about changing out the battery pack on the bar light either.
UPDATE: I did get a Shorai battery that I will be adding to this kit. I'll be making a foam cradle so it can live reasonably happy under the seat. Not done yet...so no photos. Will post when complete.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Cat wrangling time. Who is willing to commit to doing this race? I plan on registering next week...so I'm either going to have a few other people's names/details or I'll be doing the impossible Ironman. Deadline to get me your respective details (First/last name, birth date, etc.) is Wednesday. I will not be able to get to the event early (ie, Thursday or before late afternoon on Friday) so don't count on me to score prime real estate for the pits. Showtime gents, 10 SECONDS! @motomatt50
I am in. PM sent.

@Emoto2577 :ricky:
@snydes :ricky:
@MattB :ricky:
@Philip :ricky:
@CK696 :ricky:
@evh1 :ricky:
@wildman240 :ricky: