Poll: Primary Use of Your Alta?

What is the primary use of your Alta?

• Total voters

F451

Hey guys,

Newb here, wondering if anyone would care to help me understand how you guys are using your Altas? Before they (apparently) went belly up I was all fired up to buy one. Now I'm depressed and drowning my sorrows in some fancy whiskey my neighbor gave me recently. I'm wildly going back and forth on trying to pick one up in the next few months (if there are still any around), or just giving up on Alta and going back to waiting (forever) for one of the big OEM's to come out with an Alta comparable (or preferably better) dirt bike.

I'm really having a hard time with the idea of dropping a lot of coin for a product from a company that no longer exists. Dang it.

Anyway, I'm mostly interested in seeing how many people primarily use their Alta for trail riding as that is basically all that I do. It seems most either use them for MX or for the street. But if lots of people are trail riding with them and making it work, I'd love to hear more about that (have read a ton of threads here, but haven't seen on specific to usage so if there is a thread out there already please let me know).

For the poll, I realize it is simplistic and that people will use them in multiple ways, but I'm looking for the "primary" usage data.

Any input, either via the poll or a comment is appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Ed

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Hi Ed,
Check the flea market section, there are a couple of machines listed that maky still be available, some even within a reasonable drive of your location.

When you get one, show us a picture. Good luck!

F451

This fall during one of the local off road race weekends, was trail riding with some friends and hanging around with the club who were putting on the race. I heard that Skagit Valley Motorsports was going to have an Alta available for test rides. I was hoping to get a test ride in, but kind of forgot about it once I got there and was visiting with friends and trail riding.

Sitting around the camp fire that evening one of the younger go-fast types was talking up the Alta bikes big time. He seemed to know what he was talking about and it was obvious that he LOVES Alta. I asked him a few questions and at one point he said "If you ride one you will want one. You will buy one."

I thought that was a pretty bold statement, so I determined to be sure to get a test ride in the next day. The next day came and I rode a bunch of trail miles, did a bunch of visiting with friends, kind of forget about the Alta, broke camp, loaded up my KTM ('16 350 XCF-W) and gear and walked into the woods to take a last leak before I hopped in my truck for the long ride home.

On the way back from the woods I walked right by the Alta, a '17 MX, so stopped to talk to the guy from the bike shop about it. He insisted I take it for a ride. I told him no, all my gear was put away, I was shot (I really was, I'm old and slow and not that healthy and don't like to ride when my energy level is low, its too scary). But he basically wouldn't take no for an answer, so I got my helmet and gloves and figured I'd just putt down the road, maybe hit a mellow trail just to get a feel for it. I didn't even bother putting on my riding boots or goggles (I never ride without them and all my other gear normally).

2 seconds of advice (start out in 1, don't crack the throttle hard in 3 or 4 unless you have plenty of room, etc) and I was off.

VERY strange sensation whirring out of the parking lot like I was on a golf cart. Got out on the road, nailed it, immediately jumped it up to 2. My foot is trying to shift and the fingers on my left hand are reaching for a clutch lever.

OH MY GOD THIS IS FUN!!!

Hit some easy, basically level single track.

OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS BIKE AND I MUST HAVE ONE! I was cracking up in my helmet. COMPLETELY forgot how exhausted I was. I didn't want to bring it back, ha ha.

After 15 mins or so of trail riding I got back on the dirt road back to camp, clicked it into 4. Wheelie-ing like a mad man.

Came back to camp with all kinds of questions re range, suspension, charging rate, costs, etc.

After that I couldn't stop thinking about getting an Alta. Couple of weeks later Alta goes dark. I'm like, are you f'ing kidding me?!!! What that hell?!

So now here I am, wondering if its still worth it to consider buying one.

I guess if I heard that lots of people are trail riding with them and loving them I might be swayed to purchase one. If the bike had longer range, 70 miles or so of single track and a quick change battery option, I would be shopping for one right now. As it is, I'm leaning towards sitting on the fence until someone makes an electric KTM trail bike type equivalent.

Here I am about to head out on my short test ride on their '17 MX. That was a fun day.

I think I can honestly say the Alta is the most fun dirt bike I've ever ridden, and I've ridden a ton of them over the years.

IMG_2342-M.jpg

F451

Hi Ed,
Check the flea market section, there are a couple of machines listed that maky still be available, some even within a reasonable drive of your location.

When you get one, show us a picture. Good luck!

Thanks, I have been checking out the classifieds here, as well as seeing what my local dealers have, but I'm reluctant to make the investment if Alta is going away, which it appears to be doing. Of course I'm holding out hope, but its not looking good to me.

I may still consider buying one if Alta ultimately does dissapear, but will have to see. Would mean selling my KTM, so would be a bit before I had cash in hand anyway.

Just bad timing all around.

snydes

Staff member
Ed,
I would assume the worst and hope for the best and base your decision on that. If the batteries last as long as Alta claimed they should, and you are not an aggressive rider who busts up their bike a lot, you may never need any significant manufacturer support. Right now the main consideration are future battery service and replacement displays, and I believe eventually we will have support for those items.

TonyWilliams

User asked to be "deleted"
Welcome, Ed.

It seems like we are pretty evenly split between the MX/MXR and EX/EXR owners. You wouldn't buy a bike with a headlight for a MX track, but you might buy a MX bike for trail riding, so I'd think that most owners do trial riding at least part-time.

Poll - which Redshift model do you own?

I bought the EXR primarily for Vet MX, knowing that I can get a bike with very little change from the MX version (18” wheel, oil forks, rear spring) and I can ride trails, fire roads, desert, etc. Even ride to work, if I want.

The EXR is my do-it-all bike.

F451

Thanks for voting in the poll and commenting everyone! Very informative, looks like for the ones that have responded, there are a lot of people using their Altas for trail riding. Hmm....Lol.

AltaPoll121018-M.jpg

My old Husky WR125 in the woods that I like to ride up here in the PacNW:

IMAG2627-M.jpg

I'm fortunate to have access to a friends place that has about 80 acres of trails that is about 45 mins away from me, an Alta would be perfect there. I also like to go up into the mountains and that is where I think range anxiety would set in. For the mtn rides, they can vary, but are usually in the 30 - 40 miles range which ends up being a mix of forest road, double track, and of course miles of single track. Occasionally they are longer (with less single track), and occasionally we get royally lost and the miles can add up quickly then, but that is rare nowadays with GPS being so common.

Generally we like to be able to go at least 70 miles or so on a tank of gas, 100 mile range is preferred, even if most of the rides are 30 - 40 miles in a day. I'm not sure the Alta would be the best bike for those mountain rides unless 15-20 mile loops were done to make sure you don't run out of battery 30 miles out on a 40 mile ride.

Out in the mountains this fall with my KTM. I just bought it right before I test rode the Alta. I love the KTM, but I think the Alta is more fun to ride.

IMG_2790-M.jpg

snydes

Staff member
From what I have heard, you would be cutting it uncomfortably close at 40 miles, especially if you are talking about a lot of open forest road riding. We have quite a few off road guys here that love these things though.

F451

From what I have heard, you would be cutting it uncomfortably close at 40 miles, especially if you are talking about a lot of open forest road riding. We have quite a few off road guys here that love these things though.

From what I have been reading, I agree. I think for the mtn rides I would start out on 10-15 mile loops and see how it goes. And we don't ride the forest roads much, just use them to connect trails, but occasionally we'll take the quick way back on the forest roads, so the decreased range at higher speeds would definitely need to be kept in mind.

Its kind of blowing my mind that Alta looks to be going away as I had already come up with a plan to get a Alta and see how it goes, then planned on upgrading to whatever e-dirt bike might suit my purposes better (longer range, quick change battery, etc) in a couple of years, and I thought Alta would likely be the e-dirt bike of choice in the coming years based on what they've achieved so far.

If I had a bit more disposable cash this would be a no brainer, but the reality is I'm not sure its a good idea to plonk down that kind of cash for so many unknowns (sounding like a broken record here). The devil in me is telling me to sell my old Porsche and buy a Alta with those funds, then I could keep my KTM while I tried out the Alta and see where developments go with support for the bike (primarily worried about the battery and display). It looks like lots of people here are committed to keeping them going, but you never know how that goes.

Plus I'm kind of tired of maintaining old and odd ball vehicles, at this point in life I just want to charge it up and go. If I need a part I like to be able to go online and find it easily, not go on a hunt hoping I will find what I need (my '06 Husky was getting like that, my '05 Beta 525 is a bit like that).

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
From what I have been reading, I agree. I think for the mtn rides I would start out on 10-15 mile loops and see how it goes. And we don't ride the forest roads much, just use them to connect trails, but occasionally we'll take the quick way back on the forest roads, so the decreased range at higher speeds would definitely need to be kept in mind.

Its kind of blowing my mind that Alta looks to be going away as I had already come up with a plan to get a Alta and see how it goes, then planned on upgrading to whatever e-dirt bike might suit my purposes better (longer range, quick change battery, etc) in a couple of years, and I thought Alta would likely be the e-dirt bike of choice in the coming years based on what they've achieved so far.

If I had a bit more disposable cash this would be a no brainer, but the reality is I'm not sure its a good idea to plonk down that kind of cash for so many unknowns (sounding like a broken record here). The devil in me is telling me to sell my old Porsche and buy a Alta with those funds, then I could keep my KTM while I tried out the Alta and see where developments go with support for the bike (primarily worried about the battery and display). It looks like lots of people here are committed to keeping them going, but you never know how that goes.

Plus I'm kind of tired of maintaining old and odd ball vehicles, at this point in life I just want to charge it up and go. If I need a part I like to be able to go online and find it easily, not go on a hunt hoping I will find what I need (my '06 Husky was getting like that, my '05 Beta 525 is a bit like that).

With the wild elevation changes we ride in in the Puget sound area, I manage to get 35 miles pretty safely with a wide mix of trail and pavement. As for reliability, second only to an anvil; lube the chain, charge the battery and hit the trails. But as much as I love my Alta, I just can't see it as my only bike, still need something for longer rides.

F451

Could an additional battery (double range) mounted as side bags work in the forest?

That would definitely work and would be awesome but not for the single track riding we like to do. It would add too much weight and they would end up getting destroyed, or at a minimum getting hammered every time you had even a slow speed get off. I can pretty much count on eating dirt at least once or twice on a ride. If I don't go down on a ride it would be unusual.

The folks that do more forest road riding like the "adventure bike" crowd might be interested in side bag mounted batteries for extended range. I get bored on the forest roads, but I can see the attraction.

I'm thinking for mountain rides as things stand now, I would have to do 10-20 mile loops with a plan to charge the bike up at lunch time before heading out for another loop. Of course then I need to consider what type of charger I have, what type of generator I need, can I secure the generator while I'm out trail riding, etc.

F451

With the wild elevation changes we ride in in the Puget sound area, I manage to get 35 miles pretty safely with a wide mix of trail and pavement. As for reliability, second only to an anvil; lube the chain, charge the battery and hit the trails. But as much as I love my Alta, I just can't see it as my only bike, still need something for longer rides.

Right on, thanks for the input on the local scene! I think I could be happy with 35 miles or so.

And yes, the decreased maint and reliability is a huge positive. I also like the idea of helping to advance the battery powered vehicle industry industry in general, I think this is the future and I'm ready to get on board as soon as I can.