Speed and Firmware

Alta_mxr

I was curious if there has been any changes to firmware on the MXR? Was thinking I would update if needed also wouldn’t mind getting my speedo corrected to match my gearing change at the same time.

datadog

Unfortunately, there isn't any provision in the interface to change the ratio to compensate for gearing changes. Your dealer should be able to look up your VIN and tell you if your firmware is the latest version.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Bikes displaying an incorrect 10% higher speed seems to be a standard industry practice. No idea why motorcycle manufacturers keep doing this.

A higher displayed value encourages speeding, shortens the warranty period, and hurts the resale value.

Time to write to your congressman to request a new speedometer accuracy legislation! Keep them busy working for you. Else, they will be working on other laws for others that you will not want.

snydes

Staff member
Unfortunately, there isn't any provision in the interface to change the ratio to compensate for gearing changes. Your dealer should be able to look up your VIN and tell you if your firmware is the latest version.

Datadog, you’re talking like someone who gets their paychecks from Alta Motors....

Fog 25

It’s nice that we have two or three Alta workers on the site now? They will be able to get some real in the field feed back and we can get answers on our questions now.👍

strider

Bikes displaying an incorrect 10% higher speed seems to be a standard industry practice. No idea why motorcycle manufacturers keep doing this.

A higher displayed value encourages speeding, shortens the warranty period, and hurts the resale value.

Time to write to your congressman to request a new speedometer accuracy legislation! Keep them busy working for you. Else, they will be working on other laws for others that you will not want.
There are regulations on this that state that the speedo may be high by as much as 10% but may not read low. I believe this causes manufactures to err on the high side so as to stay clear of the regulators. I had never thought about dual-sports spinning the rear tires causing additional excess miles to pile up.

That being said, it looks like Alta's warranty is purely time-based so excess mileage accumulation wouldn't impact warranty coverage.

Also, wouldn't a higher displayed value DIScourage speeding, as the bike would show you going faster than you actually are? I'm not defending the practice. I have dealt with this for year with street bikes. I had one model that was so bad I installed a bike computer on the front wheel to give me an accurate speedo, similar to what folks are doing here...

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
wouldn't a higher displayed value DIScourage speeding, as the bike would show you going faster than you actually are?
For the first five minutes -- yes. When you will be going 5-10mph over the limit and start seeing cars on your rear wheel, passing you on both sides, you will quickly realize that your speedometer is wrong. Then you will start adding 15-20mph to its reading, or whatever is necessary to not get run over. You will be "speeding" all the time. Sometimes for real, and sometimes just in your imagination. And you won't be able to obey the speed limits because you won't know your exact speed.

Top Bottom