Supermoto 17" wheels for EX(R) ?

ecd

I'm interested in getting a supermoto 17" wheel set to swap in, as easily as possible. (I plan on riding dirt on most weekends, then swapping to 17s for the week if I want). My assumption is that the EX(R) tears through knobbies when ridden on the street, more than other bikes.

Has anyone done this? Are there any specific wheel recommendations? I'd like it to be plug-n-play. I don't even know if the rear would support a 5" rim or 4.5"

WoodsWeapon

My first thought is youre never gonna get an SM brake setup to be plug and play. I also vaguely recall reading Warp9 is allowed by Alta to sell wheels/hubs independently, but not positive.

Kurlon

The EX basically uses KTM pattern wheels, with a minor tweak on the front. Getting a rear to fit should be easy, lots of options out there, just gotta know the right year KTM to say the bike is (I don't recall off the top of my head but someone should have that in their notes.) Up front, again it's a modern KTM pattern EXCEPT that the front rotor is spaced 7mm further away from center than KTM. Alta uses wider clamps and their own front spacer pattern / axle to accommodate this. If you get a KTM pattern front wheel you'll need to verify it works with OEM spacers, you'll need a 7mm rotor spacer ring with longer bolts, at which point you should be good to go. Match up your fork to whatever KTM runs it to get a sumo caliper kit that'll bolt up. Because the rotor is 7mm offset from normal, if you get a radial caliper adapter you'll have much better odds of a common sportbike radial clearing the spokes BTW.

Or, just order wheels from Warp 9, they've already got hubs setup the right way and can just lace them to 17s. They don't have a mag front hub yet though, and they're not comfortable with brake rotor spacers so you'll have to wait a bit for those to be available FYI. (Assuming they bother, can't imagine there is going to be a ton of demand for that setup.)

ecd

I should clarify that when I said plug-nplay, I meant keeping the smaller 260mm front brake rotors, rather than upgrading and dealing with special adjustment brackets. Though I'm interested in learning about that setup as well

Kurlon

In that case the only thing you have to watch out for if not getting an ALTA specific front wheel is the 7mm rotor offset from normal KTM pattern wheels. You can either space the rotor out, or space your caliper IN with slightly longer bolts and a spacer plate between the bracket and fork. (Space the caliper in, better plan than spacing the rotor out.)

Ultratoad

Since it doesn't sound like you are gonna go racing.... I'd purchase another set of EXR wheels.... Lace a 19" to the front.... Pick-up some gumballs.... AND go out and have some fun....

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
In that case the only thing you have to watch out for if not getting an ALTA specific front wheel is the 7mm rotor offset from normal KTM pattern wheels. You can either space the rotor out, or space your caliper IN with slightly longer bolts and a spacer plate between the bracket and fork. (Space the caliper in, better plan than spacing the rotor out.)
Yep, I can confirm this works. I had 7 mm worth of washers between the caliper and the axle lug bracket with a Yamaha front wheel when I ran a KYB SSS fork on my MX. It was pretty simple. But if you can space out the rotor instead, then it would make switching from dirt to road wheels a lot simpler.

There is usually a plenty of KTM dirt bike supermoto wheel sets sold on eBay. All you have to worry about is that the axles are of the same diameter.

BEZ23

I’ve ordered a setup for my MXR from Warp 9 to include a 17” complete setup, and retain the stock front rotor size for quick swap outs. It isn’t an oversized rotor but I figure the engine breaking/regen will help out in slowing me down considerably enough as long as I keep the rear tire on the ground. My MXR does tear through knobbies very quickly on tarmac. And just an FYI the 5” rear will work with up to a 160 rear tire I was told. Will report back when I can verify that. I’ll also be offering plug and play SM kits once I verify fitment. Let me know if anyone is interested! Great forum and I enjoy reading everyone’s experiences with these awesome bikes.

Kurlon

But if you can space out the rotor instead, then it would make switching from dirt to road wheels a lot simpler.

The challenge is coming up with a spacer that won't sheer bolts on the rotor. If you use individual spacers on each rotor bolt, epic fail in VERY short order. A ring spacer will last longer, but Warp 9 told me they still had issues with the bolts in that arrangement. Spacing the caliper however, you're dealing with larger diameter bolts that'll deal with the extra load much better.

gprix1

I’ve ordered a setup for my MXR from Warp 9 to include a 17” complete setup, and retain the stock front rotor size for quick swap outs. It isn’t an oversized rotor but I figure the engine breaking/regen will help out in slowing me down considerably enough as long as I keep the rear tire on the ground. My MXR does tear through knobbies very quickly on tarmac. And just an FYI the 5” rear will work with up to a 160 rear tire I was told. Will report back when I can verify that. I’ll also be offering plug and play SM kits once I verify fitment. Let me know if anyone is interested! Great forum and I enjoy reading everyone’s experiences with these awesome bikes.

Hmmm.... this sounds very interesting.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
I'm interested in getting a supermoto 17" wheel set to swap in, as easily as possible. (I plan on riding dirt on most weekends, then swapping to 17s for the week if I want). My assumption is that the EX(R) tears through knobbies when ridden on the street, more than other bikes.

Has anyone done this? Are there any specific wheel recommendations? I'd like it to be plug-n-play. I don't even know if the rear would support a 5" rim or 4.5"
I will simply confirm an EXR will eat knobbies for breakfast on asphalt...

ecd

Just a quick update on those interested. I received the rims yesterday and am mounting the tires Monday. I'll update with the results and pics!

Looking forward to the update. If it works for you, I'd want to try the same.

This is the response I got from Alta asking about 17" options on the EXR:

You can purchase our supermoto wheel set from your Alta Motors dealer. You will need wheel spacers for the EXR's smaller diameter axle (21.93mm±0.02 VS the supermoto's 25.6mm±0.1). You will also need a caliper relocation adapter if you wish to run the larger 320mm SM rotor.

BEZ23

Hey @schwankl , thanks for the follow up. Installation went well, and was almost too easy (with the exception of using 100lb's of pressure to bead Q3+'s). The 5" rear with a 160 does touch the chain and swinger but after a couple miles it rubs in quite well. The 4.25 rear shouldn't have any clearance issues. She's purdy, and lots of fun. The swap can be done in less than 15 minutes as long as you don't need to break/swap chains to accommodate dramatically different sized sprockets. I have these kits available but don't know what the rules are here about directing you to other sites. If you search #RedshiftSMR on IG you can see some more pics. Thanks for all the resources and late night reading everyone.....love my Alta. Let me know if you have any other questions!
2018-08-02 14.32.28.jpg

Top Bottom