SV software license, potential subscriptions, smart bike ramifications etc

fsfs

Does the display have any connection to the vehicle? For example, Altas need all modules to be "handshaked" via CAN for the vehicle to function. If persay a Stark owner had there display damaged or removed, can the bike still function?

There are two WiFi/BlueTooth modules. One is in the VCU (vehicle control unit). The other is in the "dock" which is right beneath the phone. It talks to the VCU via CANbus and the phone via BlueTooth (charges phone via Qi -- notice the red LED on the phone).

You can choose to use your phone as a "key". If you choose to have your phone be the key then the VCU must establish communication with the phone (via the dock). The VCU also knowns if the phone is physically docked because of the Qi charger. If you choose no security, the bike will run without the dock.

There are other ways to secure the bike, but I won't go into that now.

Redbull

In my questions to Stark support, it seems that there are at least two levels of security. One is using the phone as a key (mentioned above in this thread) and the other is if it gets stolen, you can contact Stark and provide a legit police report and if the bike has connectivity (via the 4G inside the VCU), they can locate and brick it. That technically means that your location data is likely available all the time when the Varg phones home (which it is supposed to do every second).

Redbull

A few more clarifying questions I previously sent to Stark:

1. Will I the user be able to locate and brick the bike if stolen or is that something you have to do?

2. If I have the bike permanently at my remote property without cell service anywhere, will I be able to get the bike its OTA updates via WiFi (which is connecting via Starlink satellite internet service)?

3. Is there an option to opt out of OTA updates?

4. What happen if the phone gets stolen but not the bike? What problems are caused by not having the phone? Will someone be able to control the bike if they have the stolen phone?

Here is the reply:

Thank you for contacting Stark.

In case the bike gets stolen, the user will have the possibility to login to his Stark account on any device and report it to us. Once we have validated the report, we could potentially lock it, provided that there is connectivity to the bike.

Of course, for OTA services an internet connection is required, usually wifi and/or LTE.

Opting out of the OTA services is not an option as these could be related to safety issues and also maintaining the systems updated, which could be warranty relevant.

The Stark phone is paired via bluetooth, so it’s possible to make changes to the VARG’s features within the bluetooth protocol range. In case the phone gets stolen, you can unpair it by logging in to your Stark account on any other device.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with at this moment.

Best regards,

Stark Support Team