Talaria Dragon

HadesOmega

Here's a new bike coming out from Talaria. I guess it's suppose to compete with the Sur Ron Ultra Bee. Getting close to Redshift territory. Looks like it's got KYB suspension too.
220lbs
28KW Peak
70mph top speed
88V 55.8AH battery

Electrek info here:

talaria-dragon-eicma-9.jpg

talaria-dragon-eicma-6.jpg
talaria-dragon-eicma-4.jpg
talaria-dragon-eicma-7.jpg

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Chinese manufacturers are really trying. But in order to be taken seriously, they may have to do what the rest are doing, and what the Japanese did in the 1970's - design a bike that is not obviously inferior, hire a few top riders, and go racing.

VINSANITY

I think this thing will sell extremely well if $6,500 range, I was seriously looking at an Ultra Bee but this thing is better - I’m a trail rider so perfect for that - plus when I had the Alta EXR the 270 pound bike was just too heavy, and being able swap a second fully charged battery is really appealing to me.

HadesOmega

Chinese manufacturers are really trying. But in order to be taken seriously, they may have to do what the rest are doing, and what the Japanese did in the 1970's - design a bike that is not obviously inferior, hire a few top riders, and go racing.
I'm not sure how much the Dragon will be but not everybody needs a top of the line bike. Look at the Sur Ron Light Bee. It's not the most cutting edge bike but the barrier to entey isn't as steep as a Redshift or Varg. Here is my experience. I rode the Redshift when it first came out and I knew I had to have an electric dirtbike. But I couldn't afford one but I could afford a Sur Ron Light Bee. Sur Ron and Talaria are selling these bikes like hotcakes and there are all sorts of parts for these bikes. Alta is well you know what happened to them. Sometimes top of the line premium isn't what everyone can afford. Quantity vs quality I guess, not everybody needs the best quality.

HadesOmega

I think this thing will sell extremely well if $6,500 range, I was seriously looking at an Ultra Bee but this thing is better - I’m a trail rider so perfect for that - plus when I had the Alta EXR the 270 pound bike was just too heavy, and being able swap a second fully charged battery is really appealing to me.
Yeah I'm trying to get an Ultra Bee. The specs are pretty impressive for the Dragon and it probably has a gearbox you don't have to worry about the damn jackshaft. I have a race modified Light Bee and hard to justify buying an Ultra Bee and decking it out for racing. I have wowed a lot of people with how fast my Light Bee is but it's being eclipsed by these newer gen bikes. And I am constantly breaking it =P

I have ridden the Ultra Bee and I love it tho

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes top of the line premium isn't what everyone can afford. Quantity vs quality I guess, not everybody needs the best quality.
It may also be about jumpers vs non-jumpers. There is no way I will be taking any of these budget creations to a motocross track, until someone else does it first and doesn't kill themselves.

Fod

It may also be about jumpers vs non-jumpers. There is no way I will be taking any of these budget creations to a motocross track, until someone else does it first and doesn't kill themselves.
So still a chance if they get injured? JK:muutt:

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
So still a chance if they get injured? JK:muutt:
I have been riding and racing for 38 years. I have seen all kinds of weird motorcycle behaviors and resulting crashes. Saving a few dollars by buying a cheaper but unknown bike is not worth it to me if it may come with an ER visit, medical bills, several weeks/months on crutches, and physical therapy.

But a new bike that is ridiculously much more fast and expensive... now that is a completely different story. Suddenly, my brain invokes a completely different set of rationalization arguments, all of which are in its favor. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The experience with the Alta has been unexpectedly positive. Very few surprises of the unpleasant kind. The bike saved my ass multiple times when I obviously screwed up, and it never spooked me by doing something that it was not supposed to do.

SubSonic

sur ron Lt Bee or X are pretty much fast enough for many people -
the Bad suspension is the Biggest down side for me on surron -
trying to go fast on a surron gets pretty dangerous -
dont want to get injured hitting coke can size rock on trail

have 2300 miles on surron -
zero problems except suspension - purchased a set of KYB forks and clamps to
see if I could fit on surron and it just wont work -

a surron with Real KYB suspension and a 72 volt battery and controller is type bike I want -

I was surprised that the forks RST Killa are as strong as they are -
did not bend fork tubes or sliders - Dampening was worthless -
Rear shock - Fast Ace is pretty good and lasted well -

If the Talaria KYB suspension is Real and not just rewarmed bicycle suspension
I might buy one -

Hadesomaga Thanks for posting info on Talaria

HadesOmega

I have Manitou Dorado Expert forks and a vonkat rear shock. I've finally been able to tune the suspension where the bike is pretty decent riding off road trails. Basically you'd tune it so the suspension is really soft. I recently went on a trip to Moab and rode a bunch of the difficult jeep trails and the Light Bee did pretty good. It was just constant ledge hopping and jumping. The Light Bee was so much fun to ride in Moab. The range was barely enough to do some trails but stuff that would take Jeeps a whole day to do I could do it in about an hour.