TCMB371 Video Thread

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
"Heavy"... The bike actually feels lighter than a 250cc bike when riding. It is only heavy if you pull on the bars to loft the front wheel or lift the entire bike on the bike stand.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
"Heavy"... The bike actually feels lighter than a 250cc bike when riding. It is only heavy if you pull on the bars to loft the front wheel or lift the entire bike on the bike stand.

I think he was comparing it to the 150's he was testing that day. Of course it feels heavier than a 200lb pinger. I think our bikes feel about the same as a 450 feels.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
think he was comparing it to the 150's he was testing that day. Of course it feels heavier than a 200lb pinger
This makes sense.

I think our bikes feel about the same as a 450 feels.
But how can this make sense? Out bikes feel like a 450 only when you have to physically lift them because they weigh the same.

But subjectively, when riding, there is no comparison to any 4-stroke. I think when cornering they are easier to toss side-to-side than even a 250cc 2-stroke! Just do not try to pull the bars to lift the front wheel, then they will once again feel like a 450.

Matt

E-Rider
I picked up a 150 a few weeks back and have been putting some time on it. After a 30 minute moto on my track I switched back to the Alta and while it corners amazing it does feel like a boat in comparison lol. I love it still obviously but I definitely noticed the weight comming straight off a light bike.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Yeah i just bought a 2021 Kx450 and it feels alittle lighter when riding it compared to my alta. My alta still handles like its on rails, though, but the new kx450 handles really well,too.

synics

Yeah i just bought a 2021 Kx450 and it feels alittle lighter when riding it compared to my alta. My alta still handles like its on rails, though, but the new kx450 handles really well,too.
My buddies 2021 KX450 felt TERRIBLE compared to my 350 and ESPECIALLY compared to my Alta

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The "light feel" of a bike (and a car too), besides the obvious weight of the vehicle, also largely depends on the stiffness of the suspension springs and the tuning of the dampers.

The softer the springs, the less compression damping, the more rebound damping -- the heavier the bike will feel. The suspension will pack up, it will get bogged down in chatter bumps, and it will pull on your forearms as if you are actually carrying it.

The stiffer the springs, the more compression damping, the less rebound damping -- the lighter the bike will feel. It will fly over the bumps and will feel featherlight. But the movements of the suspension might get too busy for some tracks.

I have two nearly identical MXR bikes. The front fork pressures and the rear spring rates are the same. The damping differences are barely noticeable.
The KTM World revalved bike feels heavier. But it sticks better on jump landings and I prefer it on soft terrain and sand tracks.
The Precision Concepts revalved bike feels lighter. It feels very playful and I can ride it faster on hardpack tracks.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
If this wedding thing is going to interfere with riding time, we might just need to organize an intervention. A dude’s gotta have some priorities.

synics

Haven't been to Perris MX in a while. Its a really tight track with lots of jumps and rutty corners. Even so, 14/52 gearing is prime here. Enjoy!

Do you lose low end torque going up to a 14 sprocket? I'm running 13/53 and it feels fairly the same.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Do you lose low end torque going up to a 14 sprocket? I'm running 13/53 and it feels fairly the same.

Not really. If anything, the bike puts the power to the ground better, rather than just spinning or wheelieing easily. Its still quite easy to wheelie. I like it because it moves the power higher in the mph range.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor

DonCox

You can enable telemetry recording on any GoPro that is a 5 Black and up. I have the base model hero 5 but i flashed the Hero 5 Black firmware onto it, so its essentially a hero 5 black.

A .wav file is recorded alongside your video that contains all of the telemetry data. You have to use the GoPro Quik app to overlay the telemetry onto the video manually.
Great videos. I like the telemetry , I will have to see if I can add it to my GoPro. I see the links above Thanks