the fork has snap rings which apparently mate to the fork guards

Theo

Some time ago I noticed that the outer tubes of the fork had snap rings which, I supposed, held something and I didn't investigate futher.
This evening I noticed that the right one is worn in a spot in which it seems like it may rub against the fork guard, which is pretty close to it, and that it looks like it doesn't hold anything.
Well, I think that I've found an explanation that I want to share since it makes sense and since maybe other people could find useful:
link to ThumperTalk
I will rotate those rings, then.

rayivers

As an alternative... on my WP forks I loosen the fork-guard screws and pull the guards away from the upper tubes - sometimes pretty hard - then re-tighten. It may take several tries and possibly a little heat, but I've always ended up with zero contact so far.

erSitzt

Theo

[...] This evening I noticed that the right one is worn in a spot in which it seems like it may rub against the fork guard, which is pretty close to it. [...]
As an alternative... on my WP forks I loosen the fork-guard screws and pull the guards away from the upper tubes - sometimes pretty hard - then re-tighten. It may take several tries and possibly a little heat, but I've always ended up with zero contact so far.
Before noticing the worn spot I had removed and reistalled the guard, so I thought that maybe I had installed it in the wrong position. Therefore, I removed that guard again and reinstalled it, but this time I kept it pulled away form the stenchion while I was tightening the screws: now it seems like it doesn't rub anymore if I compress the fork; maybe it will rub sometimes while riding becuase of the vibrations.