Thinking about getting another e-dirt bike: Which One?

F451

I went with Luna Cycles Sur-Ron. Luna has great customer service, I have found out that all you have to do is email them and they will take care of you. I have made a couple mods, Motocross bars, grips, and will soon add hand guards. The first place I took mine was straight to the motocross track. I had a blast.

Thanks. I've been following the Light Bee X thing for a while now, I'm considering getting one, but am torn. At 6'5" I think its just too small for me.

I just emailed Ubco US to see if they are giving any test rides on their FRX1, supposed to be coming out in July 2021. They are down in Oregon, so maybe I can get a ride on one before then, it sounds like an upgraded Sur Ron, might be a bit bigger too.

And re Luna, I emailed them a couple of times about the Storm Bee, their responses was they didn't know anything about the Storm Bee, have no plans to sell it. Basically, go away. Very strange. Didn't give me a warm and fuzzy. Lack of spare parts and warranty service has me a bit concerned with the Sur Ron's. If the Ubco's have the performance of a modded Light Bee X, plus good parts and warranty service, that would have me leaning towards the Ubco.

Unless of course someone comes out with a lighter Alta comparable bike in the meantime, or a well sorted kit option, then its back to hand wringing decisions, Lol.

enjoythesilenc

Until proved otherwise, the storm bee is a turd. Luna are bicyclists who happen to like electric augmentation. The light Bee is almost out of their wheelhouse so that explains the ambivalence towards the storm bee and motorcylists interested in them.

The bantamweight format is wholly different from the Alta and is worth investigating. Put down a deposit on the Ubco or the Drill in hopes that they can keep the ball rolling.

OR better yet, a Mark911 bigwheel youth mx conversion would be interesting.

F451

I think the 2021 KTM- E have some improvements for 2021. Not sure though.
Worth checking out -

KTM Freeride E-XC 2021

Any idea what the improvements are?

If the Freeride E had a charger that worked with 110V and was a full sized bike sized bike I'd be more interested. The lack of 110V charging limits charging opportunities in the US.

F451

Until proved otherwise, the storm bee is a turd. Luna are bicyclists who happen to like electric augmentation. The light Bee is almost out of their wheelhouse so that explains the ambivalence towards the storm bee and motorcylists interested in them.

The bantamweight format is wholly different from the Alta and is worth investigating. Put down a deposit on the Ubco or the Drill in hopes that they can keep the ball rolling.

OR better yet, a Mark911 bigwheel youth mx conversion would be interesting.

Agreed on all points.

I'm very interested in the Ubco FRX1, but like many of the e-dirt bikes, it looks small. No quick charger either. I sent an email to Ubco US to see if I can get a test ride on one, hopefully I hear back from them and can get a ride on one.

And the little that I know about Mark911's projects looks very promising, but not interested in a youth sized bike. I read somewhere he's working on a Yami 125 conversion, that would be sweet (or better yet a KTM/Husky 125 conversion). Although it would take a lot of convincing to get me drop the coin on a conversion bike, too many unknowns.

Its too bad the Altas are such porkers otherwise I'd be investing in another one.

If only we had a half weight/half capacity Alta battery that could be installed, that would be killer.

Oded

Any idea what the improvements are?

If the Freeride E had a charger that worked with 110V and was a full sized bike sized bike I'd be more interested. The lack of 110V charging limits charging opportunities in the US.

Not sure about the improvements. Did read that it has a 3.9 kwh battery.

Will make a nice trail and play bike.
The Freerides were not meant to be high end enduro or motocross bikes in the first place.

73Thing

KTM got a battery upgrade a few years back and this year it has a much needed improved formula brake system. Its seems to be a very well sorted bike but at a high price.
I like the design and weight of the Drill One but is a bit on the high price side as well. Its hard to spend more for one of these bikes than a Alta especially when we all know how good an Alta is!!

F451

Its hard to spend more for one of these bikes than a Alta especially when we all know how good an Alta is!!

Exactly. I'm spoiled with my Alta. I'd get a second one if they weren't so heavy. Lack of mfr support is also a major issue for me (although we've been fortunate self-supporting and having Liquid Performance for parts so far).

As long as you are just talking test rides, can you swing a leg over a Cake in your area?

I would like to one of these days, and of course if I do I will report back to the Alta faithful. Everything I have heard about them, they are very capable, high quality bikes.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Cake was giving test rides at Carnegie OHV in Tracy, CA earlier in the Covid lockdown. I didn’t take a ride because they were only doing reservations at the time, and I hadn’t signed up earlier. My son and I were on our Altas.

The Cake Kalk (Lime cake?) looked very small next to the Altas. It is about the same size and weight as the Sur-ron light Bee, and has very similar specs. But it is $13k vs the Light Bee’s $4k price.

Also, the looks just aren’t my style. Definitely the Ikea/Lego/Volvo boxy swedish aesthetic. Maybe ok for a city commuter, but definitely not for a dirt bike.

F451

Cake was giving test rides at Carnegie OHV in Tracy, CA earlier in the Covid lockdown. I didn’t take a ride because they were only doing reservations at the time, and I hadn’t signed up earlier. My son and I were on our Altas.

The Cake Kalk (Lime cake?) looked very small next to the Altas. It is about the same size and weight as the Sur-ron light Bee, and has very similar specs. But it is $13k vs the Light Bee’s $4k price.

Also, the looks just aren’t my style. Definitely the Ikea/Lego/Volvo boxy swedish aesthetic. Maybe ok for a city commuter, but definitely not for a dirt bike.

Yes, the small size of all of these bikes is really annoying to me. I guess not everyone is a 6'5" freak like me, so there is that.

And agreed on the styling of the Cake bikes, or more accurately the design. The ridiculous square shapes of the components right behind the front wheel, all I can think about it how quickly I would be destroying them while slamming them into logs, rocks, step ups, etc. Seriously, what are they thinking?

Besides the high price and small size, that is the one thing that is keeping the Cake off my short list (which has exactly no bikes on it right now, Lol).

And broken record time, but can someone just produce a full sized e-dirt bike like the Alta already? 125/250/450 frame size please. KTM, Honda, Yamaha, what are you waiting for?

Are they afraid of cannabilizing their profitable 4 st sales? Are they concerned about killing their spare parts business? Angering dealers? Afraid of the FIM/AMA? Do I need to resort to conspiracy theories here, cause I'm just not understanding.

ElectricMoto

Not sure about the improvements. Did read that it has a 3.9 kwh battery.

Will make a nice trail and play bike.
The Freerides were not meant to be high end enduro or motocross bikes in the first place.
KTM Freeride, Looked at the 2021 ( I do have both 2016 and the New Generation + 2019 Bikes) The only thing I can see that is new is the Brakes and maybe BNG

F451

KTM Freeride, Looked at the 2021 ( I do have both 2016 and the New Generation + 2019 Bikes) The only thing I can see that is new is the Brakes and maybe BNG

That was the impression that I got when I was looking into the E-XC recently, no changes to range or power for 2021. No 110V charger, no quick charger.

It's too bad, a 110V charger would make it a lot more attractive to the N. American market. Quick charger would appeal to all markets.

Add in the 7/8ths frame size + high price tag and its a non-starter for me.

bayodome

My buddy finally posted a address where you can ask him questions. I thought it was a website, but it is page with the bike picture, and an email address to post questions.
Sales@XtremelectricMX.com

Heard back from Mark yesterday. Seems likes a nice guy and is working on some exciting stuff. In short, he is attempting to make e-conversion kits that anyone can install and can handle A-level motocross and off-road riding/racing. Can't wait to see how his work progresses!

bayodome

This is already availlable in Germany: eAntriebe - Pohlbock

Already knew about Pohlbock and they are doing great work as well and something I'm considering. However, the one thing that so many companies have yet to accomplish (and I feel is the biggest miss) is a plug-and-play conversion kit, Pohlbock included.

If there is a simple option that doesn't require customization, then I believe off-road riders will take to e-conversions much, much more. Motors with interchangeable mounts to get them to fit within any of the Big Five frames and battery assemblies that maximize capacity within whichever frame you have. I realize this is much easier said than done, but it is what Mark at XtremelectricMX.com is attempting to accomplish. Most people don't want to modify their $5000+ chassis for obvious reasons. At the same time, it makes the most sense to use those tried and true chassis that have been developed over decades, and simply replace the drive systems.

Shanghai Customs has essentially accomplished this with their E-Cub conversion kit. Obviously a Honda Cub/C70 with a hub motor is nothing at all like a motocross bike, but the concept is there. They've done all of the R&D necessary to provide every part (including battery and controller and a whole lot more) a customer needs to do a complete conversion from ICE to electric.
eCUBkits-22_60262c52-de7e-4abe-ae26-284a490cfff4.jpg

wwmotors

Concerning MX bikes: What must happen first in my opinion, are rules for E-MX competition bikes from the Motorsportauthorities. There must be rules, which say something about enginepower (min-max), battery energy (min-max), which is obilgatory, to be allowed to compete in different classes, to be built. As long as we have no rules, no manufacturer, like the 4 japanese or KTM, will build E_MX bikes. When this rules are given, manufacturers and the privat people can build their products and compete. Without rules, the competition will never begin!