This piece of machinery is SWEET - Redshift EX

Duncan

That is correct. My EX rims don't have rim locks but do have rim lock holes with rubber plugs.

This prompted me to view the models at altamotors.co and indeed the MX and MXR are shown with rim locks but not the EX.

That's OK, if not running inserts I pitch the stock rim locks anyways in favor of Motion Pro Lite Lock rim locks.

Duncan

Another way to go is steel spike points inserted around the rim inside bead circumferences that stick into the tire beads and prevents tire slip. Had that setup stock on a couple of Can-Am's back in the 80's. Advantage is better wheel balance compared to rim lock but disadvantage is when you get a flat it doesn't hold tire like a rim lock does.

rayivers

Motion Pro Lite Lock rim locks.

These are the only rim locks I've ever had fail on me (plastic and metal sections separated, both front & rear). They come with really cool nuts and collars though, which I now use w/oversized Emgo locks on my Zero wheels. Maybe I just got some defective ones.

Ray

Oded

I decided not to install rim locks, as I was worried about wheel balance (use the bike for road commutes as well). So far so good, but it doesn't prove anything of course..

Fod

These are the only rim locks I've ever had fail on me (plastic and metal sections separated, both front & rear). They come with really cool nuts and collars though, which I now use w/oversized Emgo locks on my Zero wheels. Maybe I just got some defective ones.

Ray
Yeah I also cracked 2 before I stopped using them. One cracked with only one tire use and the other with 2 or 3 tire changes. MP told me they are pretty much disposable and are not meant to last past a couple changes.

Kurlon

I decided not to install rim locks, as I was worried about wheel balance (use the bike for road commutes as well). So far so good, but it doesn't prove anything of course..

You just balance the wheel after installing a rim lock. Common trick is thick solder wrapped around spoke ends for weights. Even without locks I'd balance them to be honest.