This piece of machinery is SWEET - Redshift EX

Duncan

Picked up EX Saturday, logged 15 miles Sat and 24 miles yesterday consisting of juicy technical New England single track.
All I can say is this 63 years young A Enduro rider has found nirvana.
Here's some comments:
Range: after 32 miles I had 1/4 charge left so I figure she is good for 32 miles.
EX v MXR: I agonized and flip-flopped over this decision for a while but glad I did the EX. Got lights, 18" wheel, 26.16 degree rake, enduro maps, skid plate and suspension is surprisingly good for rocks and roots.
4CS Fork: I did a ton of research on what to do for alternatives to the 4CS which I did not enjoy on two previous KTM's. I considered Ohlins TTX insert, WP cone valve, etc, ended up buying a lightly used WP open chamber fork, best fork I ever had for New England terrain was the open WP's on my 2015 350 XCFW. Anyways after two rides on the stock 4CS I am amazed at how well Alta spec'd these, they soak up the rocks, and stiction is minimal, I may just stay with the stock 4CS fork.
Kickstand: nice piece of craftsmanship but it partially occupied the space where my heel goes, will bend bracket to tuck in more but will still in the way.
Battery: It's my understanding that both the R and the A batteries are 5.8 kWh so they hold the same amount of energy, it's my understanding the R doesn't taper off as much near end of charge and can handle heat better associated with rapid discharge as experienced in MX racing and R also has better characteristics when cold. Speaking of heat, won't it be great when someone invents a battery that does not expel waste heat which is both inefficient and a hassle to deal with (coolant and pump). My coolant pump seems to run constantly, wouldn't it be better to put a thermostat on it? By the way the more recent EX's got an improved A battery which has an improved 9V battery and improved buss.
MXR V MX/EX: It's my understanding the so called 20% changes for the MXR are: the A battery, seat grip, pegs, frame protector bent in at top to not catch boot, linkage slightly different.
Gear Lube: Anyone know the recommended lube type and quantity?
Parts: If anyone hears about a tall seat available please send up a smoke signal.

Oded

Great review. I also ride an EX and love it. The shocks perform well (mostly rocky terrain) and I see no reason changing anything at the moment.

The gear oil you need is 75W90. Replacement is simple.

I use lower foot pegs by fastway (you'll need the Yamaha YZ250 version). Helps a bit for taller riders. If you find a taller seat, please share.

How different the type if terrain you ride on from the Israely kind, shown in the video?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the Forum, Duncan! That's a pretty comprehensive review that you have here, I like it!

The 4CS: I really like how Alta tuned it for trail riding. I suspect the MX and the EX might share the same suspension settings. I had to add more spring and damping for motocross, but I wish I had an EX that I could keep stock. I would ride it everywhere outside of MX tracks. Although, I surely would be tempted to jump some whoops every now and then. @Oded -- The thing that I like(d) about my stock MX suspension is the plush ride for relaxed riding and an improved traction when climbing steep uphills.

MXR V MX/EX: The biggest changes, besides the battery and the rapid charger, are the AER48 forks and the newer rear shock with a more normal MX linkage.

Gear Lube: SAE 75W-90 gear oil; only 80 ml.

Seat: If anyone hears about a WIDE seat please smoke as well.

Duncan

Oded - New England consists of a lot of rocks dumped by the glaciers and loamy dark soil. Some riders don't like the riding because it is sometimes difficult to find a trail where you can let your bike breathe and find some rhythm. Your terrain almost looks like Utah or Nevada.

Philip - yes I failed to mention the big changes with the fork and shock! I believe the rapid charger can be used on the MX, MXR and EX.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the rapid charger can be used on the MX, MXR and EX.
Yes, I heard the Rapid charger can charge the A-batties faster as well, but only the R-batteries can use its full capability. It might make a difference for me when I have only a narrow window to charge between the races or practice sessions.

Duncan

Although I am no longer racing we have the "J Day" series here - normally consists of an MX track and a woods section and an extreme section, 2 motos, and he just announced that electric bikes can enter for free!

Duncan

Photo shows my quick way of improving rear brake modulation as I wait for the Fasst Company brake return spring to arrive.

Banged out 30 miles today single track and this time I let the battery charge go all the way down to zero until it would not move. At first the last couple bars on the graph start blinking then after about two miles there are no bars showing upon which I had about two more miles before she went totally dead then if I waited 10 minutes with the key off and turned it back on it would be enough to take me about another quarter mile.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Ducan, I’m in NE Connecticut and picked up a 2017 MX from Paul this morning. He said to say hello!

I’ll be doing some NETRA and JDay events. Maybe I see you at one.

It’ll be a couple weeks before I get back from a business trip but I’m really looking forward to getting out there with this bike.

Philip, great forum btw. Looks likes it’ll be the place for Alta owners and fans!

Duncan

Onelapper; great to have you on board, I'm sure you will get a kick out of your new MX, there's nothing like riding a whisper quiet bike, especially if you encounter other trail users.
One thing I recently noticed is neither wheel has a rim lock, could result in ripped valve stem especially if running low pressures, so I will be adding rim locks or going to bib mouse inserts.

Get through that business trip and lets ride!