TKO ECR eMoto

Oded

The bright side is that this kind of terrain & riding is very conservative on the battery.
Slow technical trails, even with many climbs, does not stress the battery.
Speed is the main battery range enemy.

DonCox

Mark, at Xemx1, will have 2 bikes in the TKO race, one will be ridden by an "A" enduro rider. Here are 2 video links to the rider Shawn Clark riding the bike, and then talking about it afterwards, and towards the end of the second video, you can see how fast the battery can be changed. I think they plan on the 14 mile lap to change the battery at 10 miles.

Number Six

I'm taking all my lights off, I've got wrap around hand guards, sxs skid plate, adding rear disc guard. I'm going to have a new rear tire put on by the kenda tire vendor, I've got tubliss installed, I'll have them put in a new bladder. Otherwise it's a bone stock mxr.
Unless you're tall & can easily reach the ground with both feet - consider doing everything possible to lower the bike if even a little for TKO.
Kind've a dual edged sword - you'll scrape bottom more often but having the option to put a foot down in sketchy situations might keep you upright more often.
Altas aren't light & having to pick one up several times during a loop in 90 degree temps will use a lot of energy.

privateer703

AOF Addict
Unless you're tall & can easily reach the ground with both feet - consider doing everything possible to lower the bike if even a little for TKO.
Kind've a dual edged sword - you'll scrape bottom more often but having the option to put a foot down in sketchy situations might keep you upright more often.
Altas aren't light & having to pick one up several times during a loop in 90 degree temps will use a lot of energy.
That's actually a pretty good idea. I am tall (6'-2"), but I'm about just barely flatfooted on even ground.

wildman240

Well, I pulled the trigger. We'll see if any other Alta's show up. I really would hate to be the only Alta and then lose to a bunch of Storm Bee's because I'm not a top rider.
If I would have had a couple more weeks lead time I would have signed up. My biggest race this year was Ironman in the 24hour at Perry Mountain in AL...took 6th. (only electric bike in the entire event) And finished up taking 5th overall in class for the SORCS harescramble season.

20220604_075244.jpg

285269397_470329458319585_7866026998144652987_n.jpg

JP racing

I can attest to that after running a couple NETRA hare scrambles. Mine also seems to have a tendency to topple over high side if I get stuck on an incline which is super fun to pick up.

On that note does anyone have a good solution for a rear lift loop? Best thing I could figure out was on the side, and it wasn’t great.

DonCox

A little update on the TKO. This is info from my friend that is there, so I can't confirm all the info. Jojo on the XE4 got 1st place in the electric Class out of 32 e-bike entered. There were Alta's, but he didn't know how many. There were 400 bikes in this qualifier today Jojo was the 2nd Ebike, and 4th overall. In the second race today he was 39th and the only ebike to finish. I think he may get to race tomorrow. But Shawn is a Pro A rider, so he will race tomorrow in the big race on another XE4. Here are a few pics.

Race Bike.jpg

Race Winners.jpg

Racing.jpg

enjoythesilenc

just a guess looking at the winners pic. Winner rode an EM trials bike and might be someone noteable? 2nd is as described by doncox and third, i;m not sure but Tucker neary stated that whoever beat him would get an electricbikerider tee shirt. cant wait to get more feedback etc

DonCox

Red Bull Youtube is starting to post some stuff on the TKO, but not the Ebike race yet.
This looks pretty fun??gnarly???

There was a promotional video for the E-Bike race also on RedBull Youtube

privateer703

AOF Addict
So I did not finish the race, but to be honest I'm not surprised. The problem I had though was not what I thought I would have had. I managed the rock sections without too much difficulty. It wasn't pretty and it took a lot of my energy, so when I got into the single track I was tired. My problem was the hill climbs in the single track section. It was slick, but not that bad, the hills weren't that steep, but I just kept losing traction and spinning out. I realized my mistake after the race was trying to stay in map 2 in the single track. I should have switched down to 1. After numerous small injuries and sheer exhaustion I ended up bailing about halfway through. I was at about 1:45 in when I quit so I knew I wasn't going to make the 2.5 hr time limit. So as far as the competition, there was the factory rider on a storm bee, 3 guys from EM on Escapes, one Cake, a bunch of Sur Rons, and me. There were no other Alta's. I did see the XE4 bike, pretty nice. I do not know how they finished but I know that when I signed up there were only 25 total ebikes, and about 7 bikes never showed up for the start. I heard that a couple of racers entered both the ebike class and the regular class, I think they did the prologue on their SurRons to see how it would do, but then decided to do the full race on their ICE bikes. So only about 18 ebikes actually raced. I'm real interested to see how those EM's did, they were allowed to swap batteries during the race... I felt that was unfair after they already made the course shorter. In any case I'm going to go back, but not till after I practice some more. I'm glad I did it, it was really fun even though it was totally brutal.

Oded

So I did not finish the race, but to be honest I'm not surprised. The problem I had though was not what I thought I would have had. I managed the rock sections without too much difficulty. It wasn't pretty and it took a lot of my energy, so when I got into the single track I was tired. My problem was the hill climbs in the single track section. It was slick, but not that bad, the hills weren't that steep, but I just kept losing traction and spinning out. I realized my mistake after the race was trying to stay in map 2 in the single track. I should have switched down to 1. After numerous small injuries and sheer exhaustion I ended up bailing about halfway through. I was at about 1:45 in when I quit so I knew I wasn't going to make the 2.5 hr time limit. So as far as the competition, there was the factory rider on a storm bee, 3 guys from EM on Escapes, one Cake, a bunch of Sur Rons, and me. There were no other Alta's. I did see the XE4 bike, pretty nice. I do not know how they finished but I know that when I signed up there were only 25 total ebikes, and about 7 bikes never showed up for the start. I heard that a couple of racers entered both the ebike class and the regular class, I think they did the prologue on their SurRons to see how it would do, but then decided to do the full race on their ICE bikes. So only about 18 ebikes actually raced. I'm real interested to see how those EM's did, they were allowed to swap batteries during the race... I felt that was unfair after they already made the course shorter. In any case I'm going to go back, but not till after I practice some more. I'm glad I did it, it was really fun even though it was totally brutal.
Sounds like you did well. These are tough courses, and it takes much experience to complete. Next time will be even better.
Good job!

privateer703

AOF Addict
No. I did horrible. I hope there is no video of my start. I did pretty decent through the rocks. Still not keeping one foot on the pegs at all times, but the bike handled great. There was one bright spot, about 2/3 through the first rock section, there is a boulder that is perfectly ramped, but most people were too tired to attempt the straight up shot and took the long way around the boulder. It's a heavily watched section so I sent it straight up. Still not pretty, but fun. I'm just glad all my real suck took place in the unwatched single track section.

privateer703

AOF Addict
I didn't want to make this an excuse, but I used a Shinko Cheater on the rear (19") with Tubliss, but it was a really worn tire. I had intended to buy a new tire from Kenda, the events main sponsor, but I got there around 1PM Friday afternoon and they were sold out. The tire seem to be fine in the rocks, even though they were pretty slippery. But those spent tires really didn't help me in the single track hills.