Triple Clamps Alternatives

Wnuudiction

This is the official info that Alta emailed to me:

This applies to the 2017 MX models. The 2018 MX appears to have all the same components. The SM and MXR models obviously have different springs.

Wheels
· 2014 KTM specs and bolting patterns
· Front will need a 7mm spacer between the disc and the hub
· Outer spacers are to Alta specs
· Warp 9 is our current supplier and is allowed to support aftermarket
Suspensions
· KTM 2014 4CS forks, 0.52 kg/mm spring rate (RaceTech has 0.54 - FRSP 434654; Slavens Racing has 0.55 kg/mm)
· KTM 2014 shock, 6.3 kg/mm spring rate (RaceTech has 6.6 - SRSP 652666 & 6.0 - SRSP 652660)
Controls
· Harnesses allow for 2” handlebar risers
· Levers that fit Brembo masters will fit our bike (2014 KTMs)
Brakes
· Front and rear brakes and brake pads are from 2014 KTMs
Pegs
· 2015 Yamaha YZ250F OEM will fit
Graphics
· Factory Effex has the template and can do custom kits
Sprockets
· 2014 KTM specs front and rear
Handguards
· Universal mounts will work
Bodywork
· Our MX front fender and number plate is from the 2009 CRF450R (we use Acerbis)

So I bought a wheel set on Craigslist off a ktm 500 exc, I wanted to be able to run real road oriented tires on the stock rims and then tubliss and super soft off road tires on the ktm set. Should I just order 7mm individual spacers, or is someone making a plate that goes under the disc.

Kurlon

If you're going to make something, make a spacer for the caliper bracket, and source a couple longer bolts. That'll be the strongest combo.

gprix1

So I bought a wheel set on Craigslist off a ktm 500 exc, I wanted to be able to run real road oriented tires on the stock rims and then tubliss and super soft off road tires on the ktm set. Should I just order 7mm individual spacers, or is someone making a plate that goes under the disc.

To use a KTM front wheel I just used a KTM triple clamp. Any ‘13-‘15 should work. I got a set off eBay for $150. Had to do a very minor amount of grinding (~1mm) on the top of the cross-bridge on the lower clamp to clear the frame and allow full steering lock to the stops.
Also, the axle stuck out so I trimmed it down and there was still enough threads for the end-bolt to tighten up after. You could also just use an OEM KTM axle if you don’t want to cut the Alta one.
You’ll also need a ‘13-‘15 KTM fender and number plate which I like better anyway so that was a plus to me as well.
A member here asked if steering lock was reduced with narrower triple clamps, no it did not reduce steering. In fact, surprisingly it may be slightly more. I think this is because at full lock the fork tubes are slightly more forward and at a narrower part of the frame negating the loss from the narrower clamps.
Oh, and this clamp will also allow you to use any brand steering damper you like that works with a KTM. You just have to tack the post mount to the frame.
191ECDFB-A3B2-4321-A437-74D5FDF586D8.jpeg

thsm007

To use a KTM front wheel I just used a KTM triple clamp. Any ‘13-‘15 should work. I got a set off eBay for $150. Had to do a very minor amount of grinding (~1mm) on the top of the cross-bridge on the lower clamp to clear the frame and allow full steering lock to the stops.
Also, the axle stuck out so I trimmed it down and there was still enough threads for the end-bolt to tighten up after. You could also just use an OEM KTM axle if you don’t want to cut the Alta one.
You’ll also need a ‘13-‘15 KTM fender and number plate which I like better anyway so that was a plus to me as well.
A member here asked if steering lock was reduced with narrower triple clamps, no it did not reduce steering. In fact, surprisingly it may be slightly more. I think this is because at full lock the fork tubes are slightly more forward and at a narrower part of the frame negating the loss from the narrower clamps.
Oh, and this clamp will also allow you to use any brand steering damper you like that works with a KTM. You just have to tack the post mount to the frame.
View attachment 715

Hey dude thanks for the post. I just bought an 18 EX friday. I race enduro and H/S. B 250. Mostly I bought the bike just as a practice bike (access to more riding due to stealth).. I don’t think range will realistically allow even a hot pace 2hr h/s. Anyway I’m trying to set it up as similar as I can to my other dirt bikes. And I’m finding I really wish they had kept the entire front end KTM... Do I understand your post that I can use any 14 Ktm triple and axle to get standard rims and a damper set up? No sacrifice in turn radius? Both my racing bikes are ‘14 Ktm 2t so I have so I have many parts for that MY lol. I also want my bars higher. I assume any 2in riser set up will be compatible? I also really like this disc guard for many reasons.. Disc Guards

I assume if I use the 14 axle then I should be able to run that guard... am I missing anything?

gprix1

Hey dude thanks for the post. I just bought an 18 EX friday. I race enduro and H/S. B 250. Mostly I bought the bike just as a practice bike (access to more riding due to stealth).. I don’t think range will realistically allow even a hot pace 2hr h/s. Anyway I’m trying to set it up as similar as I can to my other dirt bikes. And I’m finding I really wish they had kept the entire front end KTM... Do I understand your post that I can use any 14 Ktm triple and axle to get standard rims and a damper set up? No sacrifice in turn radius? Both my racing bikes are ‘14 Ktm 2t so I have so I have many parts for that MY lol. I also want my bars higher. I assume any 2in riser set up will be compatible? I also really like this disc guard for many reasons.. Disc Guards

I assume if I use the 14 axle then I should be able to run that guard... am I missing anything?

Yes, any 13'-15' triple clamp should work. There is a small amount of clearancing (~1mm) you'll do on the top of the bridge support on the lower clamp. It will be obvious when you put it together because it will barely touch the bottom of the frame preventing you from getting to the steering stops at full lock. Once you do that you're golden.
As far as high bar mounts and disc guards that replace the wheel spacer, yes anything that is will work on a KTM will now work on your Alta including steering dampers. If you add a steering damper, you'll need to weld a post onto the top frame as I'm not aware of any clamp-on posts for the Alta.
Of course you will now be able to use KTM wheels but you will need to lace up a KTM hub if you want to be able to use your old Alta wheel any more. I bought a Tusk KTM hub on Rocky Mountain and sold the Alta hub here in the classifieds People want them to build SM and second wheel sets.
Yes you will need a shorter axle. I cut mine down and the threads inside were deep enough that the bolt still snugged up tight. If you are not comfortable cutting the axle you can just buy an OEM KTM one.
Don't forget you'll need a KTM wheel spacer too. I know your disc guard will handle the left side but you need at least one more for the right. Although, if you are already using that disc guard on your other bikes you probably already have one or two spares.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Alta should probably stop commonizing parts between the MXR/EXR and SM(R). Aftermarket KTM clamps should be plentiful and inexpensive, if ordered in wholesale quantities.

gprix1

Alta should probably stop commonizing parts between the MXR/EXR and SM(R). Aftermarket KTM clamps should be plentiful and inexpensive, if ordered in wholesale quantities.

Agreed.
I do understand they were trying to avoid the expense of a one-off triple-clamp, hub and axle for the SM but it sure would have made access to aftermarket parts and wheels a lot easier for their customers. Fortunately, it is a relatively easy fix.
Alta, I would like to suggest using the parts inventory you have for your SM model and updating the others in the next model year with a narrower setup.

gprix1

What bothers you with the EX's front end, compared to your KTMs?
The hub, triple clamp, and axle are wider. This makes it so you can’t swap wheels with common KTM wheels as the brake rotor will not align. Also, bar mounts are different so people can’t swap those to their preference or get commonly available steering damper mounts. Switching to KTM clamps, hub and axle fixes all of these issues.
There is nothing wrong with the stock stuff if you don’t intend to change it or use other wheel sets.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The stock clamps do not seem to keep the front wheel as straight as other clamps can. They seem to deform permanently, not necessarily from the twisting but definitely from the clamping bolts. Perhaps the aluminum in them is a bit too soft.

snydes

Staff member
The stock clamps do not seem to keep the front wheel as straight as other clamps can. They seem to deform permanently, not necessarily from the twisting but definitely from the clamping bolts. Perhaps the aluminum in them is a bit too soft.

Do we know who makes KTMs clamps?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps Alta makes the triple clamps themselves, or should make the triple clamps themselves. They have a steady demand for them, so this probably justifies buying a CNC mill.