Varg Silent Passing Issues

rk42

Hey everyone,

So I've been ripping around on the Varg for a bit now and it's mostly awesome. But there's one thing that's been bugging me, and I wanted to see if any of you have faced the same.

Whenever I'm out there, especially in heavy traffic, passing becomes a real headache. I've had more than a few people tell me they didn't hear me coming. I've even had a couple of unintended bumps with others and one guy crashed because of that, not fun.

I know some folks might suggest shouting out or something, but constantly yelling "On your left!" or "Coming through!" seriously throws off my breathing rhythm during motos. It's just not a viable long-term solution.

Has anyone else run into this with their e-bikes? I'm thinking of maybe fitting a horn, controlled via a clutch lever or something. Any other suggestions or mods you've tried?

Cheers

fsfs

Hey everyone,

So I've been ripping around on the Varg for a bit now and it's mostly awesome. But there's one thing that's been bugging me, and I wanted to see if any of you have faced the same.

Whenever I'm out there, especially in heavy traffic, passing becomes a real headache. I've had more than a few people tell me they didn't hear me coming. I've even had a couple of unintended bumps with others and one guy crashed because of that, not fun.

I know some folks might suggest shouting out or something, but constantly yelling "On your left!" or "Coming through!" seriously throws off my breathing rhythm during motos. It's just not a viable long-term solution.

Has anyone else run into this with their e-bikes? I'm thinking of maybe fitting a horn, controlled via a clutch lever or something. Any other suggestions or mods you've tried?

Cheers

Here is a horn on an Alta. Seems OK?

DonCox

My answer is a regular Bicycle bell. on the left bar. They are not made real solidly anymore, they kind of fall apart after some riding. I'm thinking of a motorcycle panic rev sound machine, my next invention.

Glen Helen 316AMPS.jpg

fsfs

This definitely works! A button for the index finger would be nice, maybe a thumb throttle like on rental e-scooter, mounted on the other side..

How close to the handlebar grip did you mount your power/map button assembly? If there is enough space a horn button might fit there nicely. Then, as stated before, a sur-ron horn could work.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Then, as stated before, a sur-ron horn could work.
@Swank171 , @fsfs -- What is a "Surron horn"?

Are you recommending to buy and bolt it on and then figure out how to power it?

Alta EX/EXR bikes also have the same horn unit, I have three of them lying around already, but they won't work on the Varg or the Alta MX/MXR without a 12V power supply (or additional harnesses).

Swank171

You could put any horn on it. It’s going to take a little wiring but there are dc/dc converters out there that are easy to work with and small. You wouldn’t need much. 12v 3a would prob be plenty for a horn. Warp 9 has a sweet horn switch for the Surrons too so it’ll look slick.

I like sneaking up on people so I won’t be putting one on but I’d recommend anyone not wanting to spook people to do so. I also don’t mind making dirtbike noises if I wanna let someone know I’m taking the inside. Hahah.

HadesOmega

I pass all the time in races without a horn just gotta wait for the right moment to pass safely. I do have a horn and I always forget to use it. In some races I will call on your left or on your right.

Remember it is your responsibility as the passer to pass safely. If you pass them and spook them well that's on them you didn't hit em or anything. Riders shouldn't pay attention to what is behind them just in front, that can lead to them crashing because they're no focused on riding.

fsfs

@Swank171 , @fsfs -- What is a "Surron horn"?

Are you recommending to buy and bolt it on and then figure out how to power it?

Alta EX/EXR bikes also have the same horn unit, I have three of them lying around already, but they won't work on the Varg or the Alta MX/MXR without a 12V power supply (or additional harnesses).

A sur-ron horn is a small horn (about 100 to 105dB) that draws 1.5A at 12V. You could jerry rig a horn onto a Varg or Alta. The question is if you want a horn enough to jerry rig it.

fsfs

FYI this is on an EXR which came with a horn stock. @fsfs will there be an enduro kit for the Varg? (has all the necessary harness and parts to make the bike road legal?)

I don't know if an enduro kit for the Varg is planned. From an electrical perspective there is not an issue. What I am not sure about is the mechanical perspective -- the physical mount points for the lights and other hardware, what needs to be done with the plastics, etc.

rayivers

I don't know if an enduro kit for the Varg is planned. From an electrical perspective there is not an issue. What I am not sure about is the mechanical perspective -- the physical mount points for the lights and other hardware, what needs to be done with the plastics, etc.

Re the mechanicals, I just inventoried an Alta street-legal conversion kit and it had 24 parts, including two wiring harnesses and a different rear fender. Lots of stuff.

bearorso

In a way I'm surprised that Varg have not given thought to this problem.

They could provide a power outlet, and a suitable horn, from std. To avoid potential for someone to jury rig their own, tapping into the Varg system, and, potentially royally buggering things up.

Me, as I'm a electrical nincompoop (yet I'm wildly interested in E Bikes) , I'd set up a little self contained horn, with it's own little rechargeable battery.

I can see some people getting p**sed of at E riders yelling or tooting a horn, but that's down to them being doodles, provided the E rider is not being abusive / is being polite.

A previous posters reference to a bike sound / panic rev sound from a buttoned horn might be a good idea - people are used to, and expect that.

I've such a long silencer I made on my 500 2t, and the chamber is near fully covered by protection, that I have a bit of a problem with people not knowing I'm there / scaring them. It's as quiet as a mouse, and is completely drowned out by other riders, mostly, bloody loud 4ts. So much so I make use of the Horn (it's plated) and my very loud voice, at times.