Which US companies sell basic liability insurance for the Alta?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Please recommend to me some dirt bike insurance companies that would insure the Alta.

I just wasted an hour on the phone with two companies - Merkel and Progressive. First, they could not find my bike... then they could not find my VIN...

I just need a cheap basic liability coverage to be legal. Thanks!

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Did you try confirming if your VIN is correct? Sometimes if a digit is off there configurator goes wonky.

Both my Altas go through progressive. No issues for the past three years (did both online)

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I have had no issues using Geico, did it online. Play with the quote tool, you can get more coverage for the same price, it seemed like the minimum policy price was $99 per year.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Just called Geico. I hesitated because a few years ago they stopped offering auto coverage in Michigan. But I called, and they found my VIN immediately, and insured it!!!

Now I am paying for my Alta Redshift MXR (!!!) and my Honda ST-1300 less than what I was paying for just the Honda alone with Merkel!

Thank you, guys!!!

:ricky:

B. FRANK

Please recommend to me some dirt bike insurance companies that would insure the Alta.

I just wasted an hour on the phone with two companies - Merkel and Progressive. First, they could not find my bike... then they could not find my VIN...

I just need a cheap basic liability coverage to be legal. Thanks!
MY SM WAS INSURED THROUGH PROGRESSIVE BECAUSE STATE FARM COULDN'T FIND THE VIN BUT LATER CHANGED THEIR MIND AND INSURED ME, ALSO CHECK OUT DIRTLEGAL.COM THEY CAN GET YOU TITLED, REGISTERED AND PLATED IN ANOTHER STATE AND THEN JUST SWITCH EVERYTHING OVER TO YOUR STATE OR LEAVE IT

leeo45

Geezer in denial
For those of you with your ALTAs insured with Progressive, you may want to read the details in your policy documents to make sure there are no exclusions for electric motorcycles. Hopefully things have changed since 2018 when I bought my EXR, but I don't want someone to find out they aren't insured when they attempt to file a claim.

When I was buying my EXR, I had a motorcycle policy with Progressive that had been active since 1978 and had covered many different bikes. I was attempting to add the ALTA as a fifth bike on the policy. When I provided the VIN to my agent, he told me he couldn't add the ALTA. I spent a lot of time on the phone with Progressive going all the way up to the corporate office on risk policy. They told me very specifically that their corporate policy was "electric bikes are unacceptable risk for coverage" and they would not insure the ALTA. I moved everything to Allstate and saved some money on my annual premium, and of course had them confirm in writing that they provided coverage on electric motorcycles.

Motophyllic

I use State Farm, $25 a year for non-Road coverage in case the bike is stolen or damaged and $120 per year for full coverage on the road

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
I have had no issues using Geico, did it online. Play with the quote tool, you can get more coverage for the same price, it seemed like the minimum policy price was $99 per year.
Yep, Because I have USAA, they don't insure motorcycles, Geico is my go to for 2 wheels and has been since the early 2000s.