Whymee's 2019 MXR Build

Whymee

Old and slow, but hopefull!
I forgot to add my experience on installing the Alta Skid plate that my good man WoodsWeapon sold me.

The instructions that came with the plate had me taking apart half the bike to install it. So I tossed them & proceeded with the install.

It is pretty much a PITA to install. I do not see how one would install with the very short fasteners included. I started out with very long M8 fasteners and as I got it tightened down I replaced the fasteners with shorter ones from my bolt bin. No way was I using those short bolts with red loctite on them. I think I used 3 different lengths. After the install, it is a nice skid plate though.

Why is every fastener that I have taken off have red or blue thread locking substance on them? I do not understand, at all. Even when there is a brass insert there is still thread locker on the fastener. I have been cleaning & then greasing the bolts that I have taken off. Paying special attention to any fastener that goes into an insert. I am under the assumption that there is little to no vibration present when riding. You would think the engineers thought this was an old Maico/CZ/TM400 (pick your poison) from back in the day!

I did notice during degreasing of the cosmoline substance off the chain, that is is one of my fav chains, Regina. I also see where there have been comments that the chain stretched like crazy after 5 hours or so. Gotta keep an eye on this fo sure! :)

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Thanks Phillip! About time, eh? Hurricane delayed it a few days it seems.

Can anyone tell me what front number plate fits this MXR? It stands to reason since it is a CRF fender that a CRF plate would mount up. Just want to make sure. Do not want to order the wrong one.

Replaced the shrouds, F&R fenders earlier. Sure is several different collars & fasteners to take that rear fender off. Somehow I need to figure out a better fastener system. More to come on that.

Started installing my graphics. That rear fender graphic looks to be a bear. So I cut it & going to make it a 3 piece. I may not use the center section. To be decided later.

Here is a sneak peek...

View attachment 1286

Of course not done yet. Taking my time yanno! I have all weekend!
So awesome, worth re-posting!

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I took the Haan wheel set off of my 2018 TC250 and proceeded to mount them up to my Alta.

I started with the rear first. I ended up using the Alta spacer on the sprocket side & the Haan spacer on the brake side. I also had to machine a 3mm spacer for the brake side. I am waiting on a 53T sprocket & the rear will be done.

The front was another story. Used the Haan spacers. Had to machine 2 6.75mm spacers to center the wheel between the forks. The brake caliper needed 2 6.75mm spacers too.

I am not to sure I am going to run with this setup. I may invest in some AER48 triples & then I can loose all the spacers. I also plan calling Keith at KSR, where I bought this wheel set, & see if he has any spacers that will work with the Alta front end.

I also emailed Dirt Tricks, the mfg. of sprockets & see if they will make me a 53T Rear sprocket. I likey the Zirconium sprockets they sell.

All for now...

Let me know if they are willing to make you a 53T in the zirconium. I was about to order a 50T rear to drop the final drive by 5% to mellow out the snap of map 4 because they only have up to a 52T listed.

Whymee

Let me know if they are willing to make you a 53T in the zirconium. I was about to order a 50T rear to drop the final drive by 5% to mellow out the snap of map 4 because they only have up to a 52T listed.

They are sending a chrome 53T to be coated in zirconium for me. If you want one coated too, give Zach a call at 775-267-6361 and let him know.

Later tater...

Whymee

More parts trickling in.

White Fork guards
53T Sunstar sprocket

Oh, I did order up some suspension too. Be here Monday.
Thinking about pegs. Just cannot seem to make up my mind.

I am looking around for triple clamps. From what I can see, using clamps from other AER48 machines, mainly KTM & Husky, I do not think they can be used. The top of the neck is extremely large on the Alta. The other AER48 bikes, their clamps would hit the neck where the nuts are for the hold down for the bar perches.

Anyone have any insight? I see lots of info for 4CS applications, but not for AER48's.

Whymee

I struggled with my Ohlins purchase.

The Angel on my left shoulder's advice was "wait until Alta makes a statement on its future before you throw good money after bad".

The other voice bellowed out " Listen Mac, how many years of competitive motocross are left in you? You are no spring chicken anymore! Grab the Lion by the tail and tug hard, see what happens! DO it up right, and on the plus side, this suspension might stretch out the time you have left to moto."

Both made good sense. I cut the check.

The install went well. Everything bolted on up front as expected.

The rear was another story. I pulled the linkage out to regrease & upon the install of the shock, to my horror, the shock was about 2 inches longer than needed. After a few minuted of head scratching, then comparing shock lengths, I decided that I had flipped the linkage 180 degrees from where it should have been. What a relief that was!

The shock was an extremely tight fit. But all is well in Whooville for the time being. :giggle:

I did request that an o-ring be put on a leg, to ease tuning. That was forgotten. I really want one of the neat looking blue o-rings I see floating around on others Ohlins forks. I just need to find 'em!

Whymee

I have been dragging my feet with the Ohlins install on the Alta. Just kinda waiting to see what happens, yanno?

Went ahead this weekend & took the plunge. Here are the results...

Alta_Ohlins_1.JPG

I have had revalved suspension before. Several sets. Always wanted a set of "Top shelf" suspenders. I pray that Alta pulls through in some fashion. If not I am going to have a very expensive paperweight!

Still have not rode it yet. Waiting on some sort of news from the motherland first..

autohog

Sometimes in my Builds I talk about issues that directly relate to the machine that I am building. This is one such case. Hope you do not mind...

I have been doing some research about generators. Last thing I want to fight at the track is charging issues. And yes I want to be a good neighbor at the track. I want a quiet gen set.

Seems the Alta chargers might be a little finicky when it comes to the generator used. Probably due to the voltage and/or the "dirty" sine wave the cheaper gen sets produce. I personally think the Alta chargers want "clean" voltage. This would mean some type of 240v inverter generator. That narrows down the prospective gen sets immensely. And yes, the cost goes up.

Speaking of clean voltage, I called WEN generators & asked what the Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) is of the electricity produced. They said less than 25% THD. Now keep in mind, that from what I can find, the acceptable THD for an inverter generator is <5%. And I bet a dollar to a doughnut that most cheepie generators out there are going to be around this "dirty" THD output. You can read what dirty power from a gen set can do here. If nothing else understand this: For units that measure greater than 6% THD, the electrical wave can cause sensitive electrical circuits, such as computers or other minor electronics, to lose life. These components may malfunction or operate improperly. Our chargers are more than "minor" electronics. I believe a generator for our Alta's is not a place to be frugal (cheap). 'Nuff said.

Sizing of Gen set: People smarter than me have posted elsewhere on the interwebs, that you should size the generator to be using 80% of its power (running watts) relative to the load you will be using. This makes sense to me. Why run a machine at 100% of its ability/capability , when you can size the gen set for 20% head room and have some room to play with.

The fast charger eats 16 amps @ 240V = 3840 watts + 20% (768) = 4608 watts including overhead. The gen set should produce at least 4608 running watts @240V, if properly sized.

This limits my generator choices, obviously. As of right now, my pick of the chick is a Honda EU6500is/EU7000is. Pretty damn pricey at around 4000 toads. *gulp* I do not like to purchase used electrical items. I might have to look around at the used options that are close to me, if there is any.

Other options are the Briggs Q6500 and the Yamaha EF6300iSDE .

Time to hit up Craigslist...

Also, I have my MSO in hand. Hopefully my MXR will be here the first week of October, or so. I am almost giddy with anticipation! Now I have to design a grafix kit. I will be the first to admit my artistic skills are limited...
Did you ever find out what the THD is for the Briggs Q6500?

Whymee

Well, the build has ground to a halt. I have done most of what I need to do to race it next year. Right now it is wintertime, so I didn't even get to ride it yet. To be truthful, Alta's bankruptcy (or whatever it is) has taken the wind out of my sails for now. I might get excited again next spring, I might not... :unsure:

So much so, that I bought 5 RZ350's and am currently restoring them this winter. This will keep me busy!

If I had to do it all over. I would have not bought the Alta. I would have waited 'till spring.

I did find out the THD on the Briggs. But I forgot. Had to look it up again! Very clean power. THD of less than 3%

Emoto2577

I wanted to order in some "high maintenance/ wear" Parts.

I have been hearing chatter about the chain defense (I assume on the swingarm) being a high wear item, so I proceeded to hop on the interwebs to look for a fische. I soon come to the conclusion that fisches for Alta's are not out there.

I called my dealer & he said the only thing he has is a parts list, which I will include at the bottom of this post. I looked through this parts list. What a bunch of BS. Almost impossible to find the part you are looking for without a picture to tell you what sub-assembly said part goes to. I hope someone has a better idea here. Although it does have the dealer cost & retail price. Nice.

This forum will not accept .csv files. Bummer...

I'll see what I can find tomorrow

autohog

Hey Whymee, where did you order your sticker kit? I’d like to do my KTM 250SX and future Alta I hope. BTW did you order your bike thru a dealer?

autohog

Thanks Phillip! About time, eh? Hurricane delayed it a few days it seems.

Can anyone tell me what front number plate fits this MXR? It stands to reason since it is a CRF fender that a CRF plate would mount up. Just want to make sure. Do not want to order the wrong one.

Replaced the shrouds, F&R fenders earlier. Sure is several different collars & fasteners to take that rear fender off. Somehow I need to figure out a better fastener system. More to come on that.

Started installing my graphics. That rear fender graphic looks to be a bear. So I cut it & going to make it a 3 piece. I may not use the center section. To be decided later.

Here is a sneak peek...

View attachment 1286

Of course not done yet. Taking my time yanno! I have all weekend!
So cool 👍🏻

Whymee

Hey Whymee, where did you order your sticker kit? I’d like to do my KTM 250SX and future Alta I hope. BTW did you order your bike thru a dealer?

Yes I purchased my ride from a dealer in Florida.

I left no stone unturned when searching for graphics for this Alta. Just couldn't find a kit that does the uniqueness of the Alta justice. I seen a pic of this kit somewhere, and tracked the company down. To my surprise they are located in Australia. Very nice company to do business with. Several emails back and forth, with proofs provided, as I made changes to the basic design. I would not hesitate on doing business with them again!

LIBERTY ALTA Full Graphics Kit

Emoto2577

I wanted to order in some "high maintenance/ wear" Parts.

I have been hearing chatter about the chain defense (I assume on the swingarm) being a high wear item, so I proceeded to hop on the interwebs to look for a fische. I soon come to the conclusion that fisches for Alta's are not out there.

I called my dealer & he said the only thing he has is a parts list, which I will include at the bottom of this post. I looked through this parts list. What a bunch of BS. Almost impossible to find the part you are looking for without a picture to tell you what sub-assembly said part goes to. I hope someone has a better idea here. Although it does have the dealer cost & retail price. Nice.

This forum will not accept .csv files. Bummer...

Altafische.png