Owner's Review 10 minute review

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I must be the only one who thinks the bike needs more low end pull (all maps). I bought an 11t countershaft sprocket but I'm too afraid to use it, it's soooooo tiny. Going up 1 t on the counter and down 6 on the rear........., that's like 10 teeth total smaller on the rear! Just can't see it working on my local tracks (maybe Glen Helen).
Check out the torque plot at the bottom of this post. A smaller front sprocket will give you more torque at speeds below 25mph. But even the fast riders around here rarely can use more than 40 ft-lbs of torque at that speed because it all goes straight into the wheelspin.
Alta Redshift MXR and MX on a Dyno - Riding Maps Demystified

I think you should try your 11T and then try a 14T and see which one works better. Remember, you should be in Map 4, else you are limited to just 36hp in maps 2 or 3, on both the MX and the MXR.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
I must be the only one who thinks the bike needs more low end pull (all maps). I bought an 11t countershaft sprocket but I'm too afraid to use it, it's soooooo tiny. Going up 1 t on the counter and down 6 on the rear........., that's like 10 teeth total smaller on the rear! Just can't see it working on my local tracks (maybe Glen Helen).

I suggested that Alta change the internal gear reduction so that a more conventional rear sprocket could be used while gearing down a bit. Probably isn't in the cards as it would require a major change to the integrated (cast) frame. A bigger rear sprocket, even if someone made one, would make the bike squat worse than it already does.
Mark I don't have enough seat time yet to make that judgement but I would question regardless of gearing the built in TC is what your feeling on low end. But that brings us back to Phillips request to modify map settings...

Mark911

Yes, I know that's the conventional wisdom. However, I'm mostly talking about pretty tight typically 1st/2nd gear rut corners where the centrifugal force generates plenty of traction. That's where the ICE bikes can gap me.

Fod

I wish I could lay down some serious throttle like that in corner! I would be on a van ride to the ER! Glad my redshift has more power then I will ever need...but I would be more glad to know how it feels to want more power then the redshift has in a rutted corner! :eek:

Mark911

I wish I could lay down some serious throttle like that in corner! I would be on a van ride to the ER! Glad my redshift has more power then I will ever need...but I would be more glad to know how it feels to want more power then the redshift has in a rutted corner! :eek:

I guess I need to restate. I'm not looking for more power, just better "snap" in those situations. That instant rush of thrust just off the pilot jet. Not too much (aka Yam YZ250), but more than I got now. Maybe lower gearing would help, maybe not. But that little 11t is so small I think the chain could start skipping teeth!

Reactions: Fod

Fod

I guess I need to restate. I'm not looking for more power, just better "snap" in those situations. That instant rush of thrust just off the pilot jet. Not too much (aka Yam YZ250), but more than I got now. Maybe lower gearing would help, maybe not. But that little 11t is so small I think the chain could start skipping teeth!
I am the other way...I am not able to control a snappy bike...I want it smooth as hot butter on a KY and Teflon coated swimsuit on the cover of SI!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
What I think you secretly want is a software clutch!

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
few observations
kickstand IS a tad too long
already have the desire for map1 0-35% & map3 35-100% I like the initial pickup of map 1 but when its go time its GO time!

suspension will need some tweaking... but responsive to clicks so thats encouraging waiting until everything is broken in

curious or torquing specs & procedure of steering head bearings as mine feel rather 'loose'

range is not an issue.

nehighors already growing tired of my generator running - hope the adapter pigtail from Elite I ordered gets here soon

wouldnt want to spend 6 hours let alone 6 days on the pavement on the 6 day OE knobbies to & from the trails is 'squirrly'

curious to see the CG #s the bike feels rather light when upright but picks up heavier than my KTM 1290 SAT! when dropped

the lack of being able to put the bike in gear to elimnate rolling is entirely fustrating - as in trying to load it in an uneven trailer

again IMO a rider needs a secondary redundant method of power delivery to rear wheel not totally reliant upon 1 right wrist - hope a 'clutch' of sorts is in the works that will be backward compatible please - with an integrated parking brake!

snydes

Staff member
I think some sort of parking brake is an excellent and rather necessary idea, especially for the EX and SM’s.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
curious to see the CG #s the bike feels rather light when upright but picks up heavier than my KTM 1290 SAT! when dropped
Nah. Nothing is as heavy to lift as a big KTM Adventure bike. I was able to lift this one two years ago, without scraping off all the plastic to rotate it. I may never be able to repeat that feat.

IMG_20161209_1635193.jpg

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
Nah. Nothing is as heavy to lift as a big KTM Adventure bike. I was able to lift this one two years ago, without scraping off all the plastic to rotate it. I may never be able to repeat that feat.

View attachment 591
Least you can put those big heavy pigs in gear - you don’t have to wrestle it up & keep it from running away down the hill or hold the brake....

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Least you can put those big heavy pigs in gear - you don’t have to wrestle it up & keep it from running away down the hill or hold the brake....
I couldn't do that. I had a Rekluse clutch on it. But I used workarounds if I had to park it on a hill for a while -- an Allen key to release the Rekluse preload.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
I couldn't do that. I had a Rekluse clutch on it. But I used workarounds if I had to park it on a hill for a while -- an Allen key to release the Rekluse preload.
Your an Animal!!!

I’ve had to rotate mine a couple times! Once in simple sand paper terrain 😒

strider

Interesting idea on the parking brake. Tesla's have a pawl, a small metal cylinder that is pushed by a solenoid into holes that are cut into one of the reduction gears. Shouldn't be that heavy to add, although it probably wouldn't be able to be retrofit into existing bikes. For those, the brake lock idea is an interesting.