2019 NE 24hr Challenge July 20th & 21st 2019, Team AltaOwnersForum.com is Official!

snydes

Staff member
Quick update... very busy and poor to no cell signal otherwise we would have not kept everyone hanging.

I’m happy to report we had a successful event, everyone went home in one piece and not a single mechanical/electrical issue with all six bikes. Finished in the bottom half of our class, which wasn’t bad all things considered. Much more to come!

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Quick update... very busy and poor to no cell signal otherwise we would have not kept everyone hanging.

I’m happy to report we had a successful event, everyone went home in one piece and not a single mechanical/electrical issue with all six bikes. Finished in the bottom half of our class, which wasn’t bad all things considered. Much more to come!
(y)

Can't wait!
:lurker:

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
IT WAS A BLAST!!! I am not an enduro racer, or much of a trail riding guy, but I still had so much fun!

It's the bike, how effortless it is to ride in the most brutal conditions, and of course all the cool guys who ride these bikes who came to race and to cheer.

Our team was mostly skilled at 40+ C, but @Matt was way younger and way faster, so we had to sign up our team for the Sportsman class, which was probably considered to be the 3rd fastest out of 10+ classes because we started in the 3rd row after all the crazy fast guys.

All the bikes ran great. All we can do for next time is work on improving the riders. We are all dead tired right now. But very happy.

My third bottle of beer has just reached the intended effect and I am about to crash and sleep for 12 or maybe 24 hours.

privateer703

AOF Addict
Being the least skilled rider in the group, I was excited and really nervous going into this. I've got over 20 years street riding experience, but I've only been riding dirt for two years and I've never raced before. I expected it to be hard and I was looking forward to pushing myself. It didn't disappoint, until it did. Trying to push myself on my first loop out I had more than a couple minor falls mostly due to my lack of experience of race condition trails (crazy rutted corners) and a couple of particularly slippery rooty sections. When it came to my second loop out I tried to keep it a little easier in the tighter single track and try and push myself only on the open fire roads. One particular turn wiped me out pretty badly and two other hard falls caused me to really take the last third of the course a bit slower than I wanted. After checking my injuries, they were a little worse than I had thought and I decided it was time to call it quits before I really hurt myself. Injuries and dreadfully slow lap times aside I had a great time and met some fantastic people!
Big thanks to everyone who gave me advice, stayed patient and picked up my slack when I DNF'd. @Matt hooked us up with help from his friends and family. On top of putting up fast laps, when we were in need of something to cook dinner on Friday, he got us a gas grill in like 15 minutes while he was still at work! @OneLapper for organizing this event and posting a crazy fast lap time at like 2AM in seriously dark woods and supplying a monster diesel generator to keep everyone charged. If you are going to do a race like this you should make sure @wildman240 is on your team, he's a complete pit team all by himself, tools, parts, food, drinks, most importantly to me medical supplies, and more snacks than a commissary. Thanks to @Philip for really trying to give me advice and improve my skills and putting some solid lap times in. Can't wait to see your goPro footage so I can relive the corners I wiped on. Last but not least big thanks to @snydes who had to take what would have been my go out during torrential downpours at 4AM in the morning through a thoroughly wiped out and horribly rutted course.
All in all I probably won't compete in this event next year, but I had a great time and I WILL come back and actually finish this race. I feel I need to get a little more experience under my belt before I do that. I encourage anyone to try it, skilled or not, because even though it was hard, it was fun. So to sum up my injuries; blisters on both hands, minor cuts, some major bruises, a not-quite-dislocated shoulder, and a small hole in my knee. PSA: Wear protection! My dumbass could have prevented some of my injuries had I worn knee guards. There's your race inexperience right there, but I don't think that would have kept me from having to quit the race. You've got to know your limits, and I had passed mine. Last thanks to non-forum member Zack, Matt's friend who came to take pictures and video of us. That poor dude got terrible sunburn waiting at the last straight before the finish line to get some video of my sorry ass after I took twice as long as I'm sure he expected. Gnarly pics of my knees to come soon I'm sure.
edit:
I also want to apologize to the Alta community as whole for making the bike look so bad. Oh so bad. On the bright side EVERYONE got a chance to check out the Alta on a race course up close and personal as they passed me.

snydes

Staff member
Privateer is being too hard on himself! He completed the laps he went out on and after he decided to stay in was a invaluable help in the pits. Additionally if it was crucial that he go out again I’m pretty sure he would have, so absolutely no harm done or apologies needed!

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Great event! It was just awesome to meet everyone on the team! Six strangers with only this forum (and an Alta) in common, coming together to get this event done is quite an accomplishment! Having nearly no experience with the event, totals noobs really, there is SO MUCH to learn on how to do this event better next time. My god, just moving everything from the camping ground to the pits was a huge effort! No pit bikes or ATVs were allowed, and if you didn't bring a bicycle to get back and forth, you were bumming.

I'm already designing, for next year, a larger diesel generator/trailer with integrated gas grill, refrigerator, clothes dryer, canopy, lights, Alta charging stations, pressure washer, shower, sleeping quarters with AC..... lol, but totally serious. Some teams joined forces by combining their pit area (15x30 or 15x15' spaces) so they could bring in full size RVs! Having all your stuff with you in the pits is priceless.

It was great to meet every one! Everyone was so generous with their time, money, and supplies. Seriously, the unspoken "No Tally" mentality really made this event work so smoothly. Food, drinks, supplies, @wildman240's INSANE pit tent, it was all awesome.

More to come on the course, bikes, as well as pictures. I've had 14 hours of sleep since Thursday 6:30am, drove my bus for 16 hours towing a 26ft trailer, I'm fried!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I am not sure about everyone else but I am feeling freaking awesome AFTER this 24-hour race. I have been bitching about a tight and sore lower back and poor sleep for over two years. After a couple of stints this 24-hour race fixed all of that! Feeling better than ever now. Can't wait to go race again!
:ricky:

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
HUGE HUGE HUGE thanks to @MrTaskRacing for hooking us up with all the bike and helmet lights. He was there himself racing, selling kits and supporting riders like me all day and all night, and sponsoring the race too!

The lights worked amazingly well, and I even bought and installed a second helmet light after my first night stint.

The helmet lights are way more effective than the main bike light. They always shine exactly where you look. But the bike light is installed lower and it has a great feature of creating contrasting shades behind road bumps, making them way more visible. You really need both.

If I had a choice, I would install either one or two helmet lights on the sides of the helmet rather than the top. The top light shines directly through your line of sight highlighting all the small bugs, the rain, and the 2-stroke smoke. At high speeds it looks like riding in a snowstorm in winter. The lights installed on the sides bypass the line of sight not highlighting anything that is in front of your face. Also, I would install the helmet lights as low as I can because then they would also work to contrast and highlight the road bumps.

MrTaskRacing

Thanks Phil to you and the Team! Was great to meet you and Mark DaVia and his daughter!
I friggin stacked hard on my third lap into a rock garden. Was dicing it out with a guy in front of me, and I decided to take a hot line to try and pass him. Got a little frisky when I saw it was both loose and fixed rocks and gave some throttle to keep the front end light and float over stuff, but caught
a kicker on my rear tire and the rear of the bike kicked dead side ways and it high sided me off the bike head first into the rock garden. So my hot line wasn't such a hot idea!
After that, I pretty much couldn't move too well, so I threw in the towel. Got my kidney bad and my elbow pretty good.

Well done to you guys. You beat us. I guess electric is truly better that gas in the end!
Thanks to all of you for your support. I sincerely appreciate it!!
Look forward to seeing you all again next year!!!!!!
Cheers, Mark

Bruise1.PNG

Bruise 2.PNG

snydes

Staff member
PS--- I never knew I could have a double love handle. That takes some skill :p

Whoa... holy hematoma Batman! Keep an eye on that! Sorry I didn’t get a chance to meet you! Too busy trying to manage our pit situation to break free.

Your lights were awesome, absolutely fantastic lighting. Riding at night was by far my favorite part of the event. I went with the dual helmet lights and definitely don’t regret it. I actually liked running them on the low power setting a little better, seemed to have less glare in the dust without any real reduction in visibility. Kinda like trying to run high beams in fog I suppose.

Hope you heal up fast!

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
@MrTaskRacing , whoa! That looks like it HURT(s). Hopefully you can get back to normal soon.

The lights were great, as well as the Task Racing Goggles! They aren't the prettiest, but I had ZERO fog issues and that was priceless! Thanks again for the sponsorship!