Accessories available at MotoMinded

MotoMinded

By far the popular direction is Option 2. Unfortunately, not enough sales # yet to get on BRP's design schedule.
I will keep this thread posted with updates if BRP circles around.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
I'm reading that many owners want the best of both worlds. Great tractor like low end with enough top end speed to ride down the freeway. I gotta tell you, the Alta is good but it has limitations. Can you crank in 100 amps at almost zero motor rpm? Probably. Do you want to? I wouldn't, unless you like the smell of burnt motor windings! The Alta is like those "hub drive" electric bicycles. They're pretty darn good until you try and start out on a steep hill. At almost stall motor speed the amps shoot up and the motor begins to fry. That's why all the good e-bikes (Bosch, Yamaha, etc) put their power through the standard derailleurs. The downside of these power systems is complexity, weight and cost.

Alta, like all OEMs, had to make compromises. The decisions regarding the design of the motor (and support systems) probably weren't that much different than any of the big 5. All electric motors are not created equal. Some are slow speed torquers, others are high speed demons and everything in between. Nothing does everything well, gas or electric. That's why transmissions were created. Obviously, Alta decided that the advantages of a "gearless" system outweighed the disadvantages.

And to their credit, they developed an integrated system which really stretched the limitations of a "gearless" drive system. In fact, I'd bet most of us would say it's better than our ICE bikes in almost every respect, save a few. Trying to stretch the operating envelope even further into conditions that the motor was not designed to accommodate doesn't sound like a good idea to me. At least not until we have access to a bunch more data via the onboard data loggers.

I suspect that there's programable "governors" regulating all the critical performance parameters anyway. To make any meaningful changes you'll need to gain access to these first or figure out some workaround. Not easy to do without assistance from Alta.
I have been saying this for years and years now. Even though electric propulsion has a mile wide long "power band" so to speak, our bikes, along with Tesla and other EVs could benefit from a 2 speed tranny, a low range direct drive unit via gear reduction and a high range like an overdrive, that could be selected on the fly, kind of like changing gears on a gasser. Brammo was experimenting with this before they vanished. Would have been interesting to see their findings.

strider

I have been saying this for years and years now. Even though electric propulsion has a mile wide long "power band" so to speak, our bikes, along with Tesla and other EVs could benefit from a 2 speed tranny, a low range direct drive unit via gear reduction and a high range like an overdrive, that could be selected on the fly, kind of like changing gears on a gasser. Brammo was experimenting with this before they vanished. Would have been interesting to see their findings.
Back in 2008 Tesla tried to put a transmission in the Roadster. They claimed they were unable to find a unit that could handle the torque so the prototypes were locked into second gear. They eventually sourced a reduction gearset from Borg Warner and have stuck with that model ever since.

It'll be interesting to get more details about Tesla's upcoming Roadster. They are claiming 250mph with 3 motors (one front, 2 rear). Their current AWD models use 2 motors (one front and one rear) with slightly different gearing. In certain conditions one motor or the other can be switched off to increase efficiency.

I don't recall if Tesla said the new Roadster would or would not have a transmission in order to both reach such high speeds and also accelerate rapidly (<2s 0-60).

Transmission makers have made a lot of progress in recent years with dual clutches and other things that should be able to handle the high torque of an EV. They are heavy though....

gprix1

Motominded,
I have a product request that should be very simple but also very useful for Alta owners.
The map switch buttons are very vulnerable and easy to damage. I ripped the red rubber covers off of a few buttons the first week. After that they got worse and now the middle and top buttons are gone completely.
Fortunately, Hudson Valley had one more left in stock which just showed up today but I'm afraid to even put it on without some protection.
Could you guys make something that clamps to the bar and protects the buttons? Maybe raised sides so you can press into it but a knee or a boot won't rip the buttons off in a get-off.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The map switch buttons are very vulnerable and easy to damage. I ripped the red rubber covers off of a few buttons the first week.
That is a generic switch. It should be available for purchase in many places, I just do not know which ones. Digikey maybe??