ALTA SM NOT CHARGING,NO ERROR CODE, JUST SAYS"AC GROUND NOT DETECTED"

snydes

Staff member
Unfortunately it’s unlikely there will be a dealer at this point who will be willing or able to help. If you can happen to find a dealer who still has their laptop they will probably tell you they can’t do it without the Alta server being online. Another option would be @C5tor ’s loaner laptop (if he’s still offering that service) and try it yourself with some phone help.

B. FRANK

the dealer where I bought the bike is now out of business so that's a dead end and I don't know of any other Alta dealers in my area. if I can buy a laptop that runs linox how can I go about updating my firmware? ie..what do I need and how do I do it? I really love this bike and don't want it ending up a dust collector in my shed.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
the dealer where I bought the bike is now out of business so that's a dead end and I don't know of any other Alta dealers in my area. if I can buy a laptop that runs linox how can I go about updating my firmware? ie..what do I need and how do I do it? I really love this bike and don't want it ending up a dust collector in my shed.

Pretty much everything you need to know is in the Resources section of the forum. The "How to Use" videos are incredibly helpful. And if you hit a snag some of the people on the forum know this stuff inside and out and are super helpful. Just post your questions.

--> AOF RESOURCES Forum

--> How to Install and Use the Multitool

--> C5tor Alta Multitool Laptop kit available to Lend

snydes

Staff member
Update;
Got together with B.Frank today.... another great Alta owner by the way. Anyhow, we did the firmware update and unfortunately it’s looking like we might have an on board charger issue. B left the bike with me and I’m working with Rashid510 to get it figured out. I’ll update as we go.

B. FRANK

gotta take a moment to say what a fine group of people are on/in this forum. as stated above I took my bike over to snydes today and he updated my Sm's firmware. unfortunately that didn't do the trick. snydes was on the phone with rashid510 most of the time I was there and I can't believe that the two of them took the time with my bike when they should have been enjoying the last weekend of summer. thanks to everyone who gave suggestions and/or advice and a special THANK YOU to snydes, his wife(who's cool as hell) and rashid510, I believe they will get this fixed. I'm good with nuts and bolts but programing and electrical circuitry is way beyond my understanding.

Mark911

Yep. Its more complicated than a Fuse. Just FYI. Rashid.

Yes, that’s pretty obvious since the decision was made to change the whole unit instead of repairing the broken one. Whatever the fix it’s always a good thing when a fallen Alta gets back on the track! Good work guys.

B. FRANK

just wanted to admit that this charger issue was most likely my own stupid fault. when I bought the bike the dealer said" it's got a smart charger so it won't overcharge the battery so just leave it plugged in and it will always be ready to ride". I've had the bike a little over 2 years and it has 715 miles on it, I figure that's about 20 hrs riding time, so the poor bike has been plugged in for over 2 years!!!! I read on this site about battery storage and was glad I'm too old to be able to kick myself or I would have hurt me bad!

B. FRANK

woohoo!!! my sm is up and running thanks to snydes,rashid510 and electrobraap and I will be heading out Sunday to bring her back home. I recently purchased extra sm wheels from liquid performance and since a sm is half dirt bike I'm putting knobbies on the extra wheels. if I like it better as a dirt bike I may switch front ends with my Ktm 350excf or just use the extra alta mx wheels I have (also from lp). being on this site has made me yearn for a dirt alta but this voice in the back of my head keeps telling me" you already own a Norton and how much fun is hunting down parts for that, and they were in business for 60+ years" so now I have a few choices which include waiting to see what the Japanese come up with. on a side note I do believe that not long from now battery rebuilding will become commonplace, since most seem to run the same cells. maybe soon you can bring your battery casings to someone who will replace all the small batteries and rewire them...any entrepreneurs out there pay attention!! you could be the next bill gates or Elon Musk. me , I'm to old and stupid and prefer to pay someone else to do the work while I play. pss. I usually don't let others work on my bikes unless they can do things I can't, these toys can kill you.SM WHEELS.JPG

Top Bottom