AMA and Electric Motorcycles in AMA races

Marko_Flux

The regulation seems to be written to run a stock capacity Stark specifically (123kg does come out exactly for an enduro spec Varg), as well as the 420V max limit (which is again exactly what Stark has). So if we have our 450V bike with a slightly smaller batpack, we can't go. 41kW on the battery before inverter and motor losses seems more like a 250cc equivalent. At least measuring power on the DC line leaves a lot of wiggle room at low speeds (until they come up with wheel torque, but a 450 in 1st gear produces a lot, so curious what they'll define as reasonable).

Notice also the second document pertaining to safety. There's implication of dropping a couple grand on PPE, not an issue for a world champ team, but very much so for privateers in national events:
https://www.fim-moto.com/fileadmin/...rical_Regulations_14.05.2024.pdf?t=1729236559

Don't know how to feel about this...on one hand they're at least making an effort to give a framework for electrics to be alongside gas, on the other it sometimes feels like finding ways of making the statement, without really allowing much in the fine print. It's an ongoing development, the FIM talks with the OEMs (electric and not).

Beagle

I'll say that this part

"The FIM reserves the right to update the EOT/BOP at its discretion (and at any time) in the case of an imbalance. In case of dispute, the decision of the FIM Technical Director is final."

does not exactly inspire confidence nor encourages manufacturers to develop electric bikes.

It could mean allowing 450 V, could also mean suddenly deciding electric bikes need to be 140 kg or 36 hp...

I'm (not really) wondering if they could agree less penalizing rules if electrics struggle... performance-based rules are supposed to work both ways.

123 kg may look like a reasonable weight for standard enduro Varg though they could probably lighten it up a bit for Superenduro (do ICE bikes come at the same weight as series model?). For instance Stark last year had removed 1/4 of its battery cells to race SX tour, saving around 7 kg.

Marko since you're here I'll try my luck: any idea what kind of racing you would like to try at first to promote your bike? I mean for Stark it was AX UK in 2023 but whenever you're ready you would have many more opportunities.

Top Bottom