AMA and Electric Motorcycles in AMA races

DonCox

Stark had a PR saying No thanks. They want to race the gas bikes.
Here is the press release.

Stark Future Challenges MXGP Proposal for Segregated Electric Support Class

Barcelona, 13th March. Following numerous questions, comments, and opinions, Stark Future would like to offer its take on the recent Press Conference held at VILLA LA ANGOSTURA (Argentina) on 8th March 2024, during the first MXGP event of the season.

Stark Future, a prominent innovator in motocross, firmly opposes MXGP/ Infront's proposal to introduce a separate Electric Support Class alongside MXGP events. While recognizing the goal of driving technological advancements, Stark Future believes that segregation is not the solution. Instead, seeing integration as an opportunity for all sides to thrive. By embracing new technologies at the highest level of racing, Stark Future envisions making racing more captivating for fans while fostering the strongest technological improvements across the board.

"As CEO and Founder of Stark Future, I firmly believe that segregating electric bikes into a separate class undermines the essence of true competition in motocross. Our mission is to break barriers and showcase the potential of electric technology on equal footing with internal combustion engines, Motocross thrives on innovation and pushing boundaries, and segregation only hinders our collective progress towards a more inclusive and dynamic sport. World Trials have done a great job on including Electric with combustion and have shown that when the platform is competitive it has it´s place amongst combustion counterparts"

With a commitment to pushing the boundaries of motocross performance and innovation, Stark Future firmly believes in true competition and integration, where the fastest machines go head-to-head, driving innovation and pushing the sport to new heights. The vision of Stark Future is to build the fastest motocross bike in the world and demonstrate that Electric is not a compromise but a formidable contender.

Stark Future understands The creation of a separate class for electric bikes, as proposed by MXGP, compromises the essence of competition and risks stifling progress. Instead of fostering innovation, this approach fragments the championship and dilutes the level of competition. Stark Future advocates for the integration of electric bikes into the existing MXGP grid framework, which would promote innovation and benefit the broader motocross community while offering better viewing figures for MXGP programs.

Stark Future recognizes the importance of innovation in the future of motocross. Integrating electric bikes into MXGP would revitalize innovation within the sport and address challenges such as noise pollution, maintenance costs, and accessibility.

In conclusion, Stark Future urges MXGP/ Infront to reconsider the proposal for a separate Electric Support Class and explore avenues to seamlessly integrate Electric bikes into MXGP and MX2 grids. Stark Future is ready to embrace this challenge, and invites industry stakeholders to join in promoting innovation and ensuring that motocross continues to thrive for generations to come.

Beagle

Interesting news from Austria, Florian Peissl just finished 16th (15-17) in MX Open (top category) on a Varg, he completed two 30 min races (technically 25 min + 2 laps) in the afternoon without any range issues.

Beagle

This is quite interesting, and it makes sense from their point of view to cater to OEM fears and slow down everything.

Just don't see the logic for preventing electrics amateur racing?

In the meantime, things are heating up where federations and organizers are freeer from OEM interference.

Beagle

Looks like this weekend FIM explorer round has been quietly cancelled, as ever their communication is appalling, not sure what it means for the rest of the season.

Anyway here are some nice close up shots of Honda CR-E prototype

jswr450

I agree that the yz400 killed two stokes, but it was because it was better. Most people don't remember when 500cc two strokes were the top class, until 250cc two strokes were actually faster. Unless it's vintage racing, I think the AMA should embrace the fastest machines available for the sport. Imagine being able to buy a Factory 450 for $13K. Stark is actually cheaper than everyone else....not even counting maintenance.

B. FRANK

honda is famous for their fit and finish. this is a prototype not finished product. prototypes are for testing and making adjustments so they may not mount things in such a way that would make it difficult to swap out and/or adjust. sometimes things are left uncovered to show components used and sometimes things are not shown to stay ahead of the competition. I am confident that if Honda ever releases an e mxer that it will be beautiful and perform well. in the mean time Yamaha will rush something out to be the first and in Yamaha tradition it will either be great or really suck, that's what they do.

Oded

I really hope this is a prototype. It can not be used for enduro riding with these exposed cooling tubes, they'll be crushed by a rock sooner than later.

Bodhi Rides

If you are an AMA member, and plan on racing ANY AMA race , I'm sorry, but we are explicitly excluded for any AMA competition. A friend with a Yamaha conversion wanted to try to qualify for Lorreta Lynns, and was told he couldn't. He called AMA and got Mike Burkeens on the phone. Simple answer it is in the rules and NO. He was very adamant about it. I am being nice with only that word.
My friend who want to race his electric, has a handicap that does not allow him to shift, due to an accident. So cannot ride a stardand bike in that race, the Lorretta Lynn qualifiers, Mammoth , any AMA race. An Alta or 2 got to race mammoth in the past, but now they will not be allowed. Let alone all the new Stark owners.
So if you are an AMA member and want to race AMA races, and all 40+ and older classes, are open motor size classes, so it could be a 100 or a 500cc or Stark power, you need to talk to someone to get you voice heard. This rule needs to be changed. The manufactures got the Mini bikes included because they sell them. What can we do?
Here is the new rule addendum.

View attachment 10789
I’m just wondering if this doesn’t have to do something with what an advantage the electric bikes have offer a standard motorcycle…just the tuning available makes it almost a cheater bike out of the gate…not to mention that it’s better in many respects than a gas burner

Duncan

The AMA came out with Supplement 2024 Rules that states "Electric motorcycles are only permitted in the Mini-E Class"
I responded to this absurdity by sending AMA the email below.
I directly asked AMA their reasons why they did this. I will follow up here if I get an answer.
I encourage everyone to send a short message to AMA expressing your frustration and disagreement with the rule.
You can go to americanmotorcyclist.com, scroll to bottom, click "Email the AMA" and type your message. Don't need to be an AMA member.

Hello AMA,

I have been an avid off road motorcyclist for 53 years. As a member of the Rhody Rovers Motorcycle Club here in RI I have helped organize many off road events.

Currently I own one internal combustion engine (ICE) bike plus three electric bikes: Alta, Stark Varg and NIU.

I have learned with dismay that AMA has set rules that prohibit all electric (except Mini E) bikes from all AMA competition events.

From AMA 2024 Supplemental Rules Sec. B. 2.: "Electric motorcycles are only permitted in the Mini-E Class".

Please inform me as to why this was done.

Electric bikes are the future of our sport. The numbers will continue to increase and the technology will continue to improve. Contrary to what AMA has done in its current rule, we need to find ways to allow and encourage electric bikes.

Electric bikes offer many advantages over ICE bikes including:

1) very quiet noise level
2) programmability (can set max HP, etc.)
3) reduces direct fossil fuel consumption
4) reduces direct air emissions
5) reduced maintenance costs

I say "direct" above because the electricity consumed for charging electric bikes is partially from renewable resources and partially from fossil fuels. As time progresses the ratio of renewable/fossil will continue to increase. Reducing the consumption of our planet's finite reserve of fossil fuels is our obligation in consideration of future generations.

Our government is continually imposing stricter regulations on ICE. A case in point is the prohibition of ICE landscape equipment in CA. The noise and emission standards are already strict for of road non-closed course bikes. Sooner or later, our government will probably restrict off-road closed circuit bikes.
Electric bikes are the answer to these impending regulations.

The significantly reduced sound level of electric bikes is a huge benefit. Probably the major public complaint by the public towards off road bikers is the noise level. Many motocross tracks have been shut down for this one reason.
Electric bikes solve that issue.

Rather than blatantly posing a 'no electric bikes' rule I respectfully request the AMA to take an intelligent approach by conducting a study to develop rules to govern electric off road bikes in AMA events. This should be conducted and implemented by AMA as soon as possible.

I am not sure what AMA has against electric bikes but I offer the following proposals for AMA to consider in its electric bike rulemakings:

1) Limit maximum to XX Horsepower (easy to program)
2) For dead engine start events the start button incorporates a X second delay
3) Has a forward-facing noise emitter of XX dB to provide rider awareness

My son, Ethan, runs a successful and unique racing series here in New England: J Day Off Road. It is (luckily) not AMA-sanctioned. Ethan has come up with rules to effectively allow electric bikes, not discriminate and provide a level playing field for all riders.

There are many electric bike owners out there who are frustrated by AMA's prohibition of electric bikes. I look forward to AMA's response to the above and I offer my input as an impetus to formulate fair, forward-thinking rules for electric bikes.

Sincerely,

Duncan B

Johnny Depp

The AMA came out with Supplement 2024 Rules that states "Electric motorcycles are only permitted in the Mini-E Class"
I responded to this absurdity by sending AMA the email below.
I directly asked AMA their reasons why they did this. I will follow up here if I get an answer.
I encourage everyone to send a short message to AMA expressing your frustration and disagreement with the rule.
You can go to americanmotorcyclist.com, scroll to bottom, click "Email the AMA" and type your message. Don't need to be an AMA member.

Hello AMA,

I have been an avid off road motorcyclist for 53 years. As a member of the Rhody Rovers Motorcycle Club here in RI I have helped organize many off road events.

Currently I own one internal combustion engine (ICE) bike plus three electric bikes: Alta, Stark Varg and NIU.

I have learned with dismay that AMA has set rules that prohibit all electric (except Mini E) bikes from all AMA competition events.

From AMA 2024 Supplemental Rules Sec. B. 2.: "Electric motorcycles are only permitted in the Mini-E Class".

Please inform me as to why this was done.

Electric bikes are the future of our sport. The numbers will continue to increase and the technology will continue to improve. Contrary to what AMA has done in its current rule, we need to find ways to allow and encourage electric bikes.

Electric bikes offer many advantages over ICE bikes including:

1) very quiet noise level
2) programmability (can set max HP, etc.)
3) reduces direct fossil fuel consumption
4) reduces direct air emissions
5) reduced maintenance costs

I say "direct" above because the electricity consumed for charging electric bikes is partially from renewable resources and partially from fossil fuels. As time progresses the ratio of renewable/fossil will continue to increase. Reducing the consumption of our planet's finite reserve of fossil fuels is our obligation in consideration of future generations.

Our government is continually imposing stricter regulations on ICE. A case in point is the prohibition of ICE landscape equipment in CA. The noise and emission standards are already strict for of road non-closed course bikes. Sooner or later, our government will probably restrict off-road closed circuit bikes.
Electric bikes are the answer to these impending regulations.

The significantly reduced sound level of electric bikes is a huge benefit. Probably the major public complaint by the public towards off road bikers is the noise level. Many motocross tracks have been shut down for this one reason.
Electric bikes solve that issue.

Rather than blatantly posing a 'no electric bikes' rule I respectfully request the AMA to take an intelligent approach by conducting a study to develop rules to govern electric off road bikes in AMA events. This should be conducted and implemented by AMA as soon as possible.

I am not sure what AMA has against electric bikes but I offer the following proposals for AMA to consider in its electric bike rulemakings:

1) Limit maximum to XX Horsepower (easy to program)
2) For dead engine start events the start button incorporates a X second delay
3) Has a forward-facing noise emitter of XX dB to provide rider awareness

My son, Ethan, runs a successful and unique racing series here in New England: J Day Off Road. It is (luckily) not AMA-sanctioned. Ethan has come up with rules to effectively allow electric bikes, not discriminate and provide a level playing field for all riders.

There are many electric bike owners out there who are frustrated by AMA's prohibition of electric bikes. I look forward to AMA's response to the above and I offer my input as an impetus to formulate fair, forward-thinking rules for electric bikes.

Sincerely,

Duncan B
While your intentions are noble, more rules and handicaps aren’t necessary. J-Day doesn’t use any additional rules AFAIK?

As soon as the Honda is released, the rules will change.?

Duncan

While your intentions are noble, more rules and handicaps aren’t necessary. J-Day doesn’t use any additional rules AFAIK?

As soon as the Honda is released, the rules will change.?
J Day does address electric bikes in its rule book. There is a Pee Wee electric class while certain other Pee Wee classes prohibit electric. There is also scheduled E-Moto races on specific Saturdays. For full sized bikes, under the heading "Staging Procedures", it states:
*** Racers with (ALL ELECTRIC) i.e (Stark, Alta) bikes on the starting line will have to have the THROTTLE HAND on top of their helmet during the (7-10) second lift of the green flag. Once the green flag is waved for the start of the race then the racer can reach for the throttle and go ***

Don't understand why you say "more rules and handicaps aren't necessary".

I don't see how to address AMA's prohibition of electric bikes without rules allowing specific electric bikes and specific electric bike procedures that make things fair and safe.

Have not received a response from AMA on my letter but will continue to pursue!

Top Bottom