BAD NEWS

JethroTX

MIles is correct. I'd point out that there's likewise little known about the HD split. Several talk about Marc & Co. ALTA had a new CEO and Executive Chair, Arno Harris since January. Any comment on his role in this?

Miles Prower

MIles is correct. I'd point out that there's likewise little known about the HD split. Several talk about Marc & Co. ALTA had a new CEO and Executive Chair, Arno Harris since January. Any comment on his role in this?

Thanks JethroTX — I didn't realize that Arno Harris had taken on the CEO role. As we know, the #1 job of a CEO of a growth company is to raise capital, so it makes sense that someone of his stature in private-equity and alternative energy is doing exactly that. I met Arno Harris back in the '90s when he was doing biz dev for Red Envelope, and my software company at the time was courting strategic partners. Looking at his LinkedIn today — he's obviously a total badass. His wife is one too. In addition to having an impressive CV in solar, he's a partner in Better Ventures, which has a track record of supporting socially conscious tech startups.

strider

Hope they do not rebadge Altas as KTMs and paint them orange.
Why? I'm new to dirt riding so have no baggage with previous makers. But I don't care what the plastics look like as long as the bike lives on, continues development, and I can keep getting parts.

Also, that 10-year thing everyone keeps talking about ONLY applies to emissions equipment, which of course doesn't apply to us. There are ZERO legal requirements that a manufacturer support a product beyond the warranty period stated at purchase.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Why? I'm new to dirt riding so have no baggage with previous makers. But I don't care what the plastics look like as long as the bike lives on, continues development, and I can keep getting parts.
Colors do matter. Denying this is like saying that you have no preference in the colors of your cars or clothing. Most people have one or more favorite color, it's just the way it is.

I used to have a strong preference for red and Honda bikes. I also liked the white/red Yamahas, and I liked the old white/blue KTMs of the 80"s and 90's. I didn't like the orange/black and especially gray KTMs of the recent past and present. The current TLD/GoPro KTM have much better color choices. But then, none of the factory KTM US riders have ever been my favorites. Also, I have spent too much time and money fixing KTMs' suspensions, so I do not want the orange color to remind me about all the wasted dollars and years.

The last half a year I really started liking green because most of my favorite riders have been riding green bikes. If I ever buy another gas bike it will most likely be a green Kawasaki.

I just want to be like Tomac and not like Musquin. Or at least like Anderson and Osborne.

Josh402

Ok, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed big time that Alta can find a new investor, but should the company go under completely, does that mean we’ve ended up with bikes that are essentially paper weight? I can’t see myself holding on to something like this when it has no official support. And I’m worried about the value if I decide to sell it.

WoodsWeapon

Ive spent 30 years building and buying obscure bikes and brands. Purchasing an Alta is just another extension of that for me.
Im no financial genious, but this isnt a big surprise to me. Providing reps with vans, bikes, and paychecks adds up quick. I dont know how a dealer demo situation works, but thats gotta be a large overall expense too. Add in a powersports market that has all but dried up except for side by side sales, and I can see why Alta suffered this fate.

strider

Colors do matter. Denying this is like saying that you have no preference in the colors of your cars or clothing. Most people have one or more favorite color, it's just the way it is.
Thanks for the comments and I agree with you. To me it felt like your comments were complaining about the color of the sheets on the patient's deathbed when we should be focused on whatever gives us a chance to keep going. If the choice is Orange or dead; I choose Orange.