BAD NEWS

privateer703

AOF Addict
I doubt former employees have any clue what is happening with the sale of the company.
What they might know and might be able to tell us now that Alta is no more is who made the damn display.

datadog

I doubt former employees have any clue what is happening with the sale of the company.
What they might know and might be able to tell us now that Alta is no more is who made the damn display.

Doubtful. And if they did, there's likely an exclusive agreement since Alta designed the board and firmware. I recommend that the community works on a replacement.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
Doubtful. And if they did, there's likely an exclusive agreement since Alta designed the board and firmware. I recommend that the community works on a replacement.
Long shot but it’d be nice if suppliers were notified so we (owners) could continue to cut the middle man (Alta) out of equation & purchase components directly from them. Even if we had to buy in bulk (500) units of whatever. It’s better than Suck IT!! With an inoperative motorcycle.

Mark911

There are plenty of open source EV displays available from a simple pack SOC indicator to full on computers. The problem is that all the sensor data is encoded via CAN. And although the displays mentioned have CAN capability it's worthless without Alta's CAN database. I suspect if someone only wanted a few signals (Battery state, MPH, etc) they could sniff the comm line and by trail and error figure out the convention, but you'd need to be pretty determined with the right testing equipment. There are other displays that can be hardwired to the pack for SOC indication but require access to full pack voltage and without proper isolation I can't recommend those.

rtf

Alta is no more so I do not expect a message from the company. IF the employees are released from their NDAs (if ever), one of them might give an update.

If that’s the case, then it’s a little disingenuous when the CEO has made multiple random post on this forum about hoping to be able to share information “soon”. Thank you Judas for sharing the information you have recently, I originally started seeing your post on another forum a while ago and was always thankful for you taking the the time to reply.

Motophyllic

I do believe the board can be duplicated fairly easily? I think a dealer with a laptop with the latest firmware is the best solution. With the firmware, could we flash an after market display?

Rocketz152

Not to join in the mob mentality but I agree that all of this was handled terribly and was extremely unprofessional by Alta... First we find out before most dealerships over social media, then we get swindled into spending more money with the company to get parts, and now we’re left trying to get parts developed and made so we can actually use our bikes if something breaks... I truly believe in the electric movement and I love my bike but there is a line here that is being crossed. Anyways, happy new year everybody and I’m hoping/ looking forward to some feesable solutions for us owners this year...

Rocketz152

Swindled?. It's fortunate that someone is spending the time to send out the parts they have left, they could easily just auction all of it.

Except for batteries and displays... which are a necessity for the bike to work... not to mention how many people have received their parts??? How do we diagnose a check engine light if something else goes wrong? Like I said the owners are really being left out to dry on this... my dealership didn’t know about any of this until I called and informed them... like I said I love the bike but basically being SOL if anything goes wrong really sucks...

Butch

Poseur
It unfortunate that this all went down the way it did. The internet is certainly a blessing and a curse. We seem to have expectations of immediate answers.

Like all you guys, I love these bikes. That is why I just got another!
I am fortunate to live in the Silicon Valley where all the technology for the bikes exists; I think I will be riding Altas for a long time. My TMRacing 250 2T might get lonely.

Happy New Year!

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
It unfortunate that this all went down the way it did. The internet is certainly a blessing and a curse. We seem to have expectations of immediate answers.

Like all you guys, I love these bikes. That is why I just got another!
I am fortunate to live in the Silicon Valley where all the technology for the bikes exists; I think I will be riding Altas for a long time. My TMRacing 250 2T might get lonely.

Happy New Year!
Should the day come that my Alta quits working, and I can't get it going, I will put money on the table for your TM. Thats one of my bucket lists bikes to own. Just by your posts, I can tell you have a nice collection of 2 wheeled machines.

ElectricMoto

If the company is no more, who is there to enforce an NDA? :D
...Somebody will buy "Alta" either with intentions to make something out of it or sell physical or intellectual assets. The new owners will for sure have Lawyers looking after that the signed NDA's are still valid. But surely the old Alta Engineers and partners will have a much looser grip on them.

Kurlon

Actually, I'd be curious to know the terms of the NDA, California is very NDA unfriendly, if those NDAs prevent the employees from finding work in related fields they're not valid for example, unless Alta is providing continuing compensation IIRC?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I'd be curious to know the terms of the NDA, California is very NDA unfriendly, if those NDAs prevent the employees from finding work in related fields they're not valid for example, unless Alta is providing continuing compensation IIRC?
Nice! I love it.

@Judaslefourbe -- AOF members would like to officially extend an offer to you to become our Alta Engineering Consultant. You will be paid monthly with whatever funds the members gather that month, of with whatever you agree with them on an individual basis. There!

strider

Yes, they could go work at Tesla or HD or whatever regardless of what the NDA says, but they can't give or sell Alta proprietary info (nor could they have taken anything with them). Whatever they can recreate from memory at their new employer is fair game (unless it was patented by Alta).

FrancoLizard

I was poking around on LinkedIn the other day where there are profiles for around 50 or so former Alta employees. I was curious to see how many folks had updated their profiles with new employers. It looked like the majority had not. Can't read too much into that, as sometimes people just don't update their profiles. But I expected to see more folks with new jobs. The optimist in me is hoping there are plans to re-incarnate the company in some form or another.