Flux Performance - eMX startup from Europe

Marko_Flux

@ssmyers102 that is just peak power, you can choose to have 30 max. For range, we'll see if there is a modular approach possible to the battery pack for production, to enable multiple choices for range/weight.

@Philip thanks, the media reaction has been....explosive. From what we gathered 29 media globally, including the likes of MXA and RacerX. Our inboxes are bursting. Even had our first spam attack today, maybe we're stepping on someone's toes :LOL:.

Looks like the world is finally ready for electric dirtbikes. Stark did an amazing job at pushing the conversation in the global spotlight. Now let's see who can deliver!

bayodome

Hey guys, new podcast giving some insight into the thinking, process and status of FluxMoto!

Fullnoise Article

Spotify podcast link

Google podcast link

Amazon podcast link
Thanks for sharing! I'm going to be honest, there's no way I'm listening to a 2 hour podcast.

Can you give us the quick details? When do you think you'll have your first production bike? Are the projected performance numbers accurate? Will it be available in the US or is it Euro only for now? How will you guys separate yourselves from Stark?

Great to have another eMX company out there. Whoever officially comes to market first will literally have complete control of the consumer eMX market. Will it be Flux?!

Marko_Flux

Thanks for sharing! I'm going to be honest, there's no way I'm listening to a 2 hour podcast.

Can you give us the quick details? When do you think you'll have your first production bike? Are the projected performance numbers accurate? Will it be available in the US or is it Euro only for now? How will you guys separate yourselves from Stark?

Great to have another eMX company out there. Whoever officially comes to market first will literally have complete control of the consumer eMX market. Will it be Flux?!

-production bikes released in 2023, first output to customers in 2024
-numbers are accurate and we will be adding proven curb weight and real life range soon
-it will be available globally from the first bikes onwards (US is a key market)
-main separation; our thesis is range is the biggest problem yet to be solved and we're tackling that on many fronts. Tech is the key, we focus on in-house drivetrain R&D to solve those issues, as well as safety

We won't be first, but we aim to be the best. I think it's naive to think it will be a singular-brand dominated market (especially when the big boys come) and see positivity in many players, as the main competitors are ICE bikes. It's not a zero sum game, more bikes->more tracks->more people->more bikes. We can dream of tracks in suburbs, but no-one will invest without a user base there, so it goes hand in hand.

This sport has every reason to expand rapidly. Unshackled by the barriers of entry in accessibility and complicated maintenance, I believe A LOT more people will come and join the fun.

2hrs is indeed very long, but the format allows putting bullet points in context and exploring the nuances, if you're into that, I recommend a listen.

Number Six

Production ready product in 23 for 24 delivery seems quite ambitious given that a working prototype doesn't appear to yet exist. Or have I got that wrong ?
Assuming that Stark does in fact deliver the 1st production run in Dec / Jan as planned - you'll need to deliver something with an advantage over that well funded competition.
Lighter, cheaper, longer range, functioning clutch or something to distinguish yourselves as being a more desirable option.
Really do hope you're able to do that as it benefits everyone & raises the standard for future machines.
Current times for e-moto bikes reminds me of the early seventies thru early eighties where the engineering efforts of the time resulted in huge performance gains year upon year.
The Golden age has just begun.

bayodome

Swank171

Curious how things are going with this project? Have been following it since the beginning and really interested to see next breakthrough.

bayodome

They've been slowly making progress. Glad to see it. But any e-startup that's trying to hit the market in a new way to beat out Stark. Make it cheaper or better, or conceptually different. Offer an extra battery or free battery rental and hot-swap system that would allow the bike to be lighter. Market competition is a good thing, but Stark is making that hard at the moment.

Swank171

They've been slowly making progress. Glad to see it. But any e-startup that's trying to hit the market in a new way to beat out Stark. Make it cheaper or better, or conceptually different. Offer an extra battery or free battery rental and hot-swap system that would allow the bike to be lighter. Market competition is a good thing, but Stark is making that hard at the moment.
We still have yet to see if Stark can get their software to a point that actually gets the range that they originally claimed. I’m not saying I’m canceling my order, I think that it serves my purpose as an older vet rider chasing the kids around. I am interested to see if they can fine-tune the software to extend the range to get close to the crazy claims that we saw when the bike was launched.

Marko_Flux

Hello guys, thanks for checking in and yes we're still here.
@Motophyllic your deposit is still safe, we're honouring the promise of a refund and if we should shut down, you'll get it back.

You can see the latest stuff we're working on on our socials:

Upcoming is first a range test on the trails and second a proper video presenting the Primo prototype.

Stark's doing a great job at promoting eMX to the moto world, it's a good thing for everyone. There's a lot of marketing fluff, we know how the claims have done so far. So let's count the chickens when bikes are in customer hands.
We're still a small team and the Primo is our first step, so ofc we aren't comparing apples to apples, but you can see what we can do with peanuts. I absolutely believe we can do better than the competition, otherwise I wouldn't be doing this.

The founding team is engineers, not marketers, so we're keeping our head down on the technical stuff mostly. Currently working on putting the pieces together to get to the next milestone - the production motorcycle, to be launched in a year.

I'm happy to answer your questions!

Number Six

A thought ; the hole in the e-bike market appears to be a light full size bike with all the premium components & suspension.
It's apparent that given current battery chemistry, theres a significant weight penalty to be paid if the expectation is a full Moto length of hard running time.
If a manufacturer were to develop a modular battery system , they'd be in a unique position to offer both a lighter version for those willing to trade run time for a significantly lighter machine & the higher capacity / heaver version of the same bike. I'd suspect doing such may likely be next-to-impossible as a smaller battery may require a differing motor & other components, but one can dream ..

rayivers

A thought ; the hole in the e-bike market appears to be a light full size bike with all the premium components & suspension...

+1. Once I got the suspension dialed in I had a lot of fun on my Zero (228 lbs w/one 2.8k battery, 27hp), and even just a 2.8k 350V battery would've been a big improvement over the low-voltage setup. Not even close to an Alta, but my point is that the lighter/modular setup is very doable.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Stark might have scared off potential new small entrants with their inflated specs and huge 15K+ pre-order numbers. At one point it seemed as if Stark alone would become responsible for selling all world's new dirt bikes in the entire 2023 calendar year.

But that hasn't happened, and the market is still ripe for new products and those who want to offer a slightly different motorcycle that offers something that Stark chose not to offer, like a lighter weight and quickly swappable batteries.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The COG height plays a key role in the weight you feel when riding + reduces weight transfer on braking and acceleration.
This guy claims that you want a lower CG at low speeds and a higher CG at high speeds.

I am going to add the obvious, that a longer motorcycle is more stable.

Perhaps an opportunity to design a motorcycle with an air suspension and a telescopic swing arm!