Honda conversion kit

wfopete

I think these are part of Honda "Testing the Waters". I'll bet it's done with Honda's backing and tech.

How they work in real life is something altogether different.

Most converted bikes are a compromise and fall short of how a purpose built bike performs.

But it is a low cost way of getting a ebike as the CRF platform is a good one.

I don't like the placement of that charge port though!!!

DonCox

I don't believe that Honda would be involved with this. This has a very good build quality, but the components and geometry and weak. The output sprocket is too far forward because the motor size and no gear reduction. 428HD chain might be ok for 26HP (20KW), but that is like mode 1 on an Alta. And they don't give you the approximate completed weight. BAC8000 limits the max power. You need 25 to 35KW of power, to be happy on a track or any tough trail riding, in a 240lb bike with proper chain and sprocket size and geometry. The battery is a clean looking unit, but you need more capacity than that.

Sutho

ELMOFO is my company, so I can clarify a few things.

Honda is not involved with these bikes at all. They have been building and testing their own electrics.

The section on the tank is not a charging port. It's an energy meter that measures energy into and out of the battery pack so it can provide accurate State of Charge and range information. The meter is mounted to the filler hole of the factory Titanium tank. We didn't want to cut the tank, so it sits a little high but hasn't been an issue yet.

Everything is a compromise with a conversion as we are working with the frame of a bike designed for a petrol engine, but the whole bike works surprisingly well. They weigh the same or less than the factory bikes. the center of gravity is lower and they are more powerful. We are currently running at >25kW | 90Nm and most bikes are running a 520 chain with 5.3:1 ratio.

I also own an Alta MXR, but it hardly gets ridden. In comparison, our conversions feel like 2-stroke 250s while the Alta feels like a 4-stroke 450.

ELMOFO-2009-CRF.jpg

wfopete

Well it's a cool concept. I've been reading about new battery tech on the horizon (isn't it always on the horizon?) :)

Do you see any viable battery tech out there that could feasibly replace Lith ion in your application like Sodium-ion (Na-ion)?

Sutho

The most interesting I have seen is some laboratory prototypes of small Aluminium Ion batteries. Extremely abundant and eliminates fire risk, but nowhere near the energy density of Lithium Ion.....yet.

The battery tech is already here to build powerful electric bikes, but it will be a few years off before there will be light-weight bikes capable of decent range like an petrol Enduro bike

bearorso

I think these are part of Honda "Testing the Waters". I'll bet it's done with Honda's backing and tech.

How they work in real life is something altogether different.

Most converted bikes are a compromise and fall short of how a purpose built bike performs.

But it is a low cost way of getting a ebike as the CRF platform is a good one.

I don't like the placement of that charge port though!!!
Not with such bad Countershaft placement, it's not.

Countershaft placement has a Huge effect on Suspension. Not only does that go back to a large CS center to Swingarm center distance of the type that was gotten rid of decades ago, the height of the CS center really would induce a lot of Squat - especially with a Motor that could have very high levels of torque.

It's a good looking kit(s), but when I see such a mistake, well........

bayodome

ELMOFO is my company, so I can clarify a few things.

Honda is not involved with these bikes at all. They have been building and testing their own electrics.

The section on the tank is not a charging port. It's an energy meter that measures energy into and out of the battery pack so it can provide accurate State of Charge and range information. The meter is mounted to the filler hole of the factory Titanium tank. We didn't want to cut the tank, so it sits a little high but hasn't been an issue yet.

Everything is a compromise with a conversion as we are working with the frame of a bike designed for a petrol engine, but the whole bike works surprisingly well. They weigh the same or less than the factory bikes. the center of gravity is lower and they are more powerful. We are currently running at >25kW | 90Nm and most bikes are running a 520 chain with 5.3:1 ratio.

I also own an Alta MXR, but it hardly gets ridden. In comparison, our conversions feel like 2-stroke 250s while the Alta feels like a 4-stroke 450.

View attachment 8920
Do you offer a conversion kit for the 2014-2018 gen YZ250F/450f?