LED light options

WoodsWeapon

To ensure the wires wont pull out over time, I injected epoxy into the back side of each connector. The side that stays with the bike has a screw on cap with an Oring making it water tight. And the Alta seat thumbscrew allows easy access.

schwankl

Are you referring to the single plug behind the number plate/light? What for switch did they use on it?
motominded had installed a switch which only had the lights and horn. In Utah dmv requires signals and plate light (and a few other changes) to be street legal, so I replaced their switch with a tusk that has turn signals too. Could not find the same domino light+turn+horn switch that exr has, or would have got that... if somebody knows where to get one outside the dealer+alta bs please let me know.

There are 2 main conduit / sleeves going to area behind the number plate:
1. throttle and run switch
2. display, map switch, and aux light - or at least thats what the red/black wire pair is labeled:
1542473315850.png

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
@schwankl @datadog @Rashid510 @Judaslefourbe
Does anyone know the magic combination of resistors to get an LED taillight to work. Currently (no pun intended) I get the single blink when the key turns on, then nothing.
Maybe need a perfectly sized thermistor to reduce inrush, while ensuring some minimum load.
BTW, I'm using the existing EXR taillight circuit.
@Philip remind me how to flip these pics for the future :)

20191115_104313.jpg

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I would have to reach out to the guy who I did his rear LED tail light to see if I could find the resistor loads. (Its a big resistor, just dont remember the ohms)

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
I would have to reach out to the guy who I did his rear LED tail light to see if I could find the resistor loads. (Its a big resistor, just dont remember the ohms)
Thanks @Trialsman I'll give this a go!
That looks like a 6ohm 50w resistor, one for taillight, one for brake?
12v / 6 ohms = 2 amps... Therefore 12v * 2amps = 2 watts (wasted). Might be worth trying a higher ohmed (high wattage) resistor to reduce electron waste. I'll do some experiments for the community and report back.

RangerRyan

I installed the PoliSport Lookos 12v LED headlight on the MX to use for an upcoming camping trip. It has wires for brake, turns and tail lights built into the wiring harness. My step son just installed some LED turn signals that have the flasher built into them, just supply 12v to them and they flash. Solves the LED flasher issues.

View attachment 910
View attachment 911
I really like the look. And it looks like it was made to fit the MX.

When you installed this did you have any issues with the ECU shutting the bike off when it detected the new lights? I installed the Baja Designs Squadron Pro and it would shut the bike off immediately upon detecting that headlight.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
When you installed this did you have any issues with the ECU shutting the bike off when it detected the new lights? I installed the Baja Designs Squadron Pro and it would shut the bike off immediately upon detecting that headlight.

The Squadron Pro is a bit too powerful for the ACM. I used the Squadron Sport from Baja designs and it has no brownouts. Its lower wattage but still is pretty bright.

1596296787829.png

VINSANITY

I finally figured out how to make an LED tail light work by trial and error.

I tried several 3 wire LED tail lights - in all cases the tail light would work but not the brake light.

Tried a bunch of resistors and nothing worked.

The trick is to use TWO independent 2 wire LED lights - for some reason this works - your tie the neutral wires together - no resistors

Not all LED lights work for the brake light - ones with more resistance seem to work - 8 LED lights or above - had to take apart an LED light and wedge the two lights inside a casing

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
@Jayfox911 this is what I ended up using to get the squadron sport to work:

x1 Baja Designs Squadron Sport LED headlight: Baja Designs
(The DC one will work for our setup)

x1 Baja Designs, Dual sport Dimmer Harness: Baja Designs
(This will allow you to pigtail from the Alta wiring harness headlight connector to a Delphi weatherproof connector)

I also asked Baja Designs to send me a set of Delphi weather-pack pins and connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/Delphi-Compl...=1596383873&sprefix=delphi+wea,aps,212&sr=8-3

The connector on the squadron sport is a KTM 4-pin connector. Needs to be de pinned and crimped w/the new Delphi pins.
1596383990046.png

This is the end on the headlight which needs the new connector as the one on the dimmer harness is already there. Once crimped, then connect it to the Alta harness and it will fire up! Complete with highbeam/lowbeam action.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor

No issues because it uses it's own battery source.

useless

@Jayfox911 this is what I ended up using to get the squadron sport to work:

x1 Baja Designs Squadron Sport LED headlight: Baja Designs
(The DC one will work for our setup)

x1 Baja Designs, Dual sport Dimmer Harness: Baja Designs
(This will allow you to pigtail from the Alta wiring harness headlight connector to a Delphi weatherproof connector)

I also asked Baja Designs to send me a set of Delphi weather-pack pins and connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/Delphi-Completed-Circuits-Weatherpack-Waterproof/dp/B075M2FL3W/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2GUS7KKD68UQQ&dchild=1&keywords=delphi+weatherpack+connector+kit&qid=1596383873&sprefix=delphi+wea,aps,212&sr=8-3

The connector on the squadron sport is a KTM 4-pin connector. Needs to be de pinned and crimped w/the new Delphi pins.
View attachment 5660

This is the end on the headlight which needs the new connector as the one on the dimmer harness is already there. Once crimped, then connect it to the Alta harness and it will fire up! Complete with highbeam/lowbeam action.

Thank you Rashid, this is awesome info! I'm looking for an upgrade on the stock SM light-- will this setup work on my SM?

Top Bottom