Looking at a $6k MX w/code35+36

junkerbraps

I took a test drive on a 2018 MX with a code 35 and 36 yesterday, might go back this week to buy it. Besides the codes, the fan/module? in the front was noisey when i turned it on, and the computer had a wiring glitch where it would cut out unless you turned the bars all the way to the left. Also the front forks and the rear tire was shot, all this combined with the uncertainty on the brand/longevity of the batteries, made me walk away. The half mile test ride was sweet. After reading through this forum, I am thinking about going back for another look, a longer test ride and try to cycle the battery to 20%, then charge it up to 100 while i eat lunch just to check the battery. What else should I do to check it out and should i be worried about the fan? It makes a kinda dirty fan sound. Thanks!

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
It doesn’t have a fan, but it does have a coolant pump. That is what you hear. If there is air in the system, it can take a few seconds to settle down to a steady sound and start moving coolant.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I took a test drive on a 2018 MX with a code 35 and 36 yesterday, might go back this week to buy it. Besides the codes, the fan/module? in the front was noisey when i turned it on, and the computer had a wiring glitch where it would cut out unless you turned the bars all the way to the left. Also the front forks and the rear tire was shot, all this combined with the uncertainty on the brand/longevity of the batteries, made me walk away. The half mile test ride was sweet. After reading through this forum, I am thinking about going back for another look, a longer test ride and try to cycle the battery to 20%, then charge it up to 100 while i eat lunch just to check the battery. What else should I do to check it out and should i be worried about the fan? It makes a kinda dirty fan sound. Thanks!

As @C5tor said theres no fan...also "Computer had a wiring glitch?" That either means there is harness damage to the wiring harness (low voltage) or you have a loose connection on the display (more common). Forks/Tires - all commodities, easy to replace

Biggest issue is the Code 35/36 - if your not worried about the codes then its ridable. But that might also affect your ride time.

makaiman

As @C5tor said theres no fan...also "Computer had a wiring glitch?" That either means there is harness damage to the wiring harness (low voltage) or you have a loose connection on the display (more common). Forks/Tires - all commodities, easy to replace

Biggest issue is the Code 35/36 - if your not worried about the codes then its ridable. But that might also affect your ride time.
What is a code 36? What does it mean? Is that real bad? Thanks

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
What is a code 36? What does it mean? Is that real bad? Thanks

A Code 36 is related to a potential voltage imbalance across some of the modules. Originally used to identify a manufacturing defect, it turned into a big deal after Alta went under. Potential end result of a Code 36 pack is non-drive of the vehicle due to low voltage.

makaiman

Oh no! Modules? A battery problem then? Can it be fixed? Can it always be fixed? Is it expensive? I suppose people do make new batteries for Alta's? But they would be very expensive!!??!! Thanks for the info.!

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Oh no! Modules? A battery problem then? Can it be fixed? Can it always be fixed? Is it expensive? I suppose people do make new batteries for Alta's? But they would be very expensive!!??!! Thanks for the info.!

I would highly recommend researching the forum for more details. Can batteries be repaired? Sure. No new batteries are made for Altas due to the low volume of production.

makaiman

I would highly recommend researching the forum for more details. Can batteries be repaired? Sure. No new batteries are made for Altas due to the low volume of production.
Thank you very much for the info.! Have been reading all i can about it on here. Looking at buying a bike that has code 36... So wondering, does anyone know if, that can ALWAYS be fixed? If so, price range to fix it? and/or worst case scenario? Have not found answers to these questions on this site yet... If anyone can answer these questions!!! lol Saw that someone on here has fixed that before. will see if i can reach out to him. He is prob. busy! Bad time to be doing this right before Christmass!!! lol Thanks again though!!! :ricky: and Merry Christmas!!!

Top Bottom