Motor/inverter venting? Is there any?

skuikka

Just removed my powertrain to replace it on warranty because of moisture in the inverter. Multiple cracks on the black plastic cover around mounting bolts. But the most interesting thing is that I can't see eny atmospheric venting in the structure. Is there one and have I just not found it or what? I'm not a hard core pro on these but I used to work in a prototype shop that mostly built vehicle prototypes and one thing I've learned from enclosed spaces is that they do not work. They need a breathing system, most commonly used system is gore vents, a small vent that has Goretex membrane in it to let gases exchange but keeps fluid out. An example in the left upper corner of this photo of KTM Freeride. If there is no vent, just the thermal expansion of the inside air could explain the cracks in the cover. Enough bending back and fourth and fractures will occur.

Screenshot_20240922-152040.png

Theo

Maybe thermal expansion of air is managed using some kind of rubber bladder like the ones in the gaskets of brake fluid reservoir caps. Maybe the inverters are sealed in a dry room and there is a bladder somewhere inside, even though I don't recall having seen anything like that in pics of disassembled inverters.
How have you found out about the moisture, did the phone show some warning message about it?

skuikka

Maybe thermal expansion of air is managed using some kind of rubber bladder like the ones in the gaskets of brake fluid reservoir caps. Maybe the inverters are sealed in a dry room and there is a bladder somewhere inside, even though I don't recall having seen anything like that in pics of disassembled inverters.
How have you found out about the moisture, did the phone show some warning message about it?
The bike shut down in a middle of a race with no warnings on the display. I got hold of the factory support and they checked the sensor data from that day. The guy said the humidity was raising from the start and told me to look for cracks in the cover because of that.

skuikka

I played around with mine before sending it back. Sprayed soap water on the cover and squeeshed the lid. It started bubbling from the sealing surface under the wiring bungs. When I loosened the left cover bolts, the lid moved accordingly to me pushing the inverter cover. Does not seem to flow anywhere else. The updated black inverter cover is noticeably stiffer but I'm still a bit skeptical. But time will tell.