My suspension sucks. (FIXED!!)

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I have 2 sets of suspension, each set with the valving specs i linked earlier. I don't really need 2 sets of suspension at this point. Im currently usin the set with promx valving. I may consider selling the aer48 and shock suspension set that has the expert/A valving in it. I think i only put less than 10 hrs of riding on that set after rebuilding them. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

Brent421

I have a full Ohlins setup on my 2019 MXR and it’s night and day. I have a second 2019 MXR that’s bone stock and the one with Ohlins just soaks up everything and handles like a dream compared to my stock bike. By far the best suspension I’ve ever had on a bike and I’ve had a few different setups. I’m in Texas, but used Dave Bernard out of NC at Fast Bike Industries. At first he sprung it too light and I was still bottoming out. I went to a 5.1 spring rate in both forks (the stiffest Ohlins makes) and the setup is absolutely perfect for me. I’m 170lb’s without my gear and an A/B rider that enjoys sending it over whatever a track has to offer. The Ohlins is super plush, well worth the money, and no more bottoming out.
My front cartridges are the Ohlins FCX201-20’s and my rear is the TTX Flow. I think my rear spring is like a 58 or something. Just a notch softer than what the MXR comes with (60 I think) because the Ohlins tend to be a little stiffer than the WP, so it’s basically the same spring but on an Ohlins shock and it blows the WP out of the water. Ohlins was a total game changer for the Alta and I highly recommend. Most suspension guys I spoke with that have worked with different brands recommended them over cone valves and KYB kits. They’re all good, but I’ve heard from more than one person in the business that the internals of the Ohlins have better tolerances than the Japanese stuff. Ohlins are made in Sweden.

I have a full Ohlins setup on my 2019 MXR and it’s night and day. I have a second 2019 MXR that’s bone stock and the one with Ohlins just soaks up everything and handles like a dream compared to my stock bike. By far the best suspension I’ve ever had on a bike and I’ve had a few different setups. I’m in Texas, but used Dave Bernard out of NC at Fast Bike Industries. At first he sprung it too light and I was still bottoming out. I went to a 5.1 spring rate in both forks (the stiffest Ohlins makes) and the setup is absolutely perfect for me. I’m 170lb’s without my gear and an A/B rider that enjoys sending it over whatever a track has to offer. The Ohlins is super plush, well worth the money, and no more bottoming out.
My front cartridges are the Ohlins FCX201-20’s and my rear is the TTX Flow. I think my rear spring is like a 58 or something. Just a notch softer than what the MXR comes with (60 I think) because the Ohlins tend to be a little stiffer than the WP, so it’s basically the same spring but on an Ohlins shock and it blows the WP out of the water. Ohlins was a total game changer for the Alta and I highly recommend. Most suspension guys I spoke with that have worked with different brands recommended them over cone valves and KYB kits. They’re all good, but I’ve heard from more than one person in the business that the internals of the Ohlins have better tolerances than the Japanese stuff. Ohlins are made in Sweden.
Great info, but you can not reply with out pics! :)

rayivers

+1 on the Ohlins shock (my AER's finally working well at 96 psi, think I'll stick with it for now). FBI got my first spring wrong too, but now with the proper 5.8 and two revalves it's pretty close to correct for my riding - a huge improvement over the WP. If you're using that Ohlins washer on your lower shock bolt, be sure to check your dogbone clearance!

Speaking of night and day... the Ohlins is a twin-tube damper with nitrogen for cavitation-suppression only, and can be set up with any amount of compression damping you want; the WP's a single-tube 'oil pump' with nitrogen spring/suppressor, adding spring force & needing lots of CD to prevent reservoir piston top-out and severe cavitation. In other words, in the WP harshness is baked into the cake. :(

Brent421

Here’s some pics of my bike with the Ohlins. Like I said, it’s night and day compared to the stock suspension. The bike handles like a dream with Ohlins. On occasion I’ll ride my bikes back to back at the tracks and it’s crazy not only how much better the Ohlins handles and feels, but it also makes the bike a lot safer. The bike with the stock suspension will sometimes kick the rear end around on certain jumps, where as the one with the Ohlins just soaks it up and tracks straight. At the end of the day when braking bumps can get really bad, the ohlins just floats over them. The bike with stock suspension will buck like crazy going through them. I also notice a little less fatigue when riding the bike with Ohlins, since the suspension is keeping the bike more stable and not translating every little thing you hit through to your body. I think I paid around $3,000-$3,500 for everything all in from Dave at Fast Bike Industries and it was well worth the money. At first I did just the front forks because they were the biggest problem and wasn’t planning on do long the rear because I thought the rear was fine. All I can say is that doing the rear made just as big of a difference as doing the front. I had no idea how good the bike could actually be until I had the rear shock done too. 🤯

F3D1EC46-37F0-4201-B460-EA6215C70C95.jpeg

AF942BEB-B968-4D26-A682-AC71A37CF25B.jpeg

0B7508FA-4D4B-46D1-A3D7-C461E583DC49.jpeg

0DCD41C5-609B-404A-A1E3-4C40B3F923B6.jpeg

2AF769C5-B669-4DE5-8394-67E9BA7FFC72.jpeg

VINSANITY

Brent421 convinced me that Ohlins is the ultimate solution. I actually was able to compare the Ohlins fork with WP AER and rear MXR shock that were revalved by KTM world (Philips old set up).

The revalved WP forks are much better than stock but really don’t compare the the Ohlins. I can’t explain the differences completely but the Ohlins forks soak up the little bumps to the point you don’t even notice small stuff and bottoming out doesn’t happen with the stiff spring set.

haven’t had the chance to install the Ohlins rear shock yet but thinking it will be a step from the WP up as well.

Got the fork and shock off ebay. They were gently used from a KTM so price was much better than a new set.

4A0B396E-DC49-4FCB-9EA6-DE48604DC98A.jpeg

ABE7EC78-9161-4D64-9813-1BFF8F70BABF.jpeg

Awesome looking bikes guys!, well done.

Rather than hi-jack this guys thread, think i will ask some questions in the suspension section, as a lot of people have spent a great deal of time on their own bike set ups that i am sure if put together right, will be a great sticky thread for a go-to for help in researching what's best for them in one place and also help people to get a good set up on what ever they have eg: Stock AER / 4CS / Ohlins / Cone Valves / KYB etc.

I know everyone is different and a bike can handle and perform different to each rider, but i think it would be a good idea to have some sort of "sticky" in the suspension section just for reference as said, so many people on here have spent a lot of time and not to mention money too!, in trying to get the best set up possible and with some sort of basic list of what's what will help people try and get a good basis for them and use all that info / time and money that others have spent in return.

Something like :

Member #76.

Bike - 2019 MXR.

Use - Motocross only.

Rider weight = 196 Lb / Rider ability = Vet B.

Suspension - Ohlins FCX201-20’s & TTX Flow - Front springs 5.1 rear 58.

Best set up found - 2 clicks on front reb and 1 click rear Reb etc etc. (Can add more here like air psi/lb setting for AER forks or what ever you did to find the best overall set up, maybe even what tires you run and air PSi?).

I will try this out in the suspension section and see if anyone else wants to add to it?, just with the above text edited to suit yourself and bike so we can keep it as simple / short as possible for people to scroll through or search with out lots of debate etc, as plenty of other pages with all that in!.

It just might just help someone get what they want out of their bike with all of the testing - hours - time & money so many people have on their own bikes just like this guy has had to!.

Fourth_Floor

So I got in contact with Lainer Suspension, spoke with the owner and sent my forks and shock out to them (N2Dirt originally did the work). I got my suspension back today and WOW!!!!!!!! I was expecting it to be "better" than what I had but it transformed my bike into an entirely different animal. Today is the first time I rode and didn't get arm pump. The bike basically wants you to ride it fast as it soaks up absolutely everything and sticks to corners like glue. The bottoming issue is gone too. I have a competition spec freestyle ramp on my property and sent it a little deep on the landing and I still had an inch of travel the didn't get used on what should have been a hard landing. Extremely impressed with the work Lainer did. I had so much fun riding today, just feeling confident on the bike and being able to go fast and rip around corners. Pretty mind blowing to me the difference they were able to make. Those guys know their shit.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
So I got in contact with Lainer Suspension, spoke with the owner and sent my forks and shock out to them (N2Dirt originally did the work). I got my suspension back today and WOW!!!!!!!! I was expecting it to be "better" than what I had but it transformed my bike into an entirely different animal. Today is the first time I rode and didn't get arm pump. The bike basically wants you to ride it fast as it soaks up absolutely everything and sticks to corners like glue. The bottoming issue is gone too. I have a competition spec freestyle ramp on my property and sent it a little deep on the landing and I still had an inch of travel the didn't get used on what should have been a hard landing. Extremely impressed with the work Lainer did. I had so much fun riding today, just feeling confident on the bike and being able to go fast and rip around corners. Pretty mind blowing to me the difference they were able to make. Those guys know their shit.
Congrats. So, are these still the 4CS, or did you ever pick up some AER48’s?

Also, let us know what the experience was like. What kind of questions did they ask? How long did it take? Cost?

Fourth_Floor

Congrats. So, are these still the 4CS, or did you ever pick up some AER48’s?

Also, let us know what the experience was like. What kind of questions did they ask? How long did it take? Cost?
Still the 4CS (well, not really) but they have the Lainer EPICA cartridges in them. N2Dirt put the EPICA's in last year and just really missed the mark with their tune and spring rate because the bike was damn near unrideable. I shipped my suspension to Lainer and he resprung the front and rear, revalved the rear shock and retuned the Epica's and I can't find a single gripe about their work. Completely transformed my bike and by the time my suspension got to their door they had it done and shipped in less than a week.

Motophyllic

Looking for some help with Olins suspension. If I buy the Olins cartridges, do I still need a certain shim stack, or is that built into the cartridge. I’m 190 pounds without gear and am confused about how to set up forks/shock for my weight and riding style.