New VARG Software Update.

MadpdXabbott

Software update is out, and Email notification.

July 23 2024 Firmware update. Bike is on V 1.0.159 VARG App V 1.0.161 (333)
August 26 2024 VARG App update. Bike is on V 1.0.159 VARG App V 1.0.174 (351) *updated*
We've added a waiver to the referral process.
- Walking mode now includes vibration feedback.
- A Support button has been added to the main screen, giving you quick access to our SAM chatbot.

fred900

I'm so scared to do an update since last time I updated that replaced my battery and powertrain. Was down for 3 weeks. Post your success on the update please!!!

MadpdXabbott

I'm so scared to do an update since last time I updated that replaced my battery and powertrain. Was down for 3 weeks. Post your success on the update please!!!
I did the Update to the VARG app. then logged in connected to my bike. App said there was an Update, I clicked ok update from VARG App, it launched a normal Update, usual flashing lights , I walked away posted this Thread. Went back Bike was off. Press red button bike on, Wait yellow flashing.... then Green Flashing like normal. I now have the hill climb and walking speed, with the Michael Jackson Reverse moon walk. see photos. After Update, My bike is on V 1.0.157 VARG App V 1.0.161 (333)

hillclimb.jpg

Moonwalk.jpg

happyinmotion

I'm honestly more excited by the changed timing for idle and shutdown. Now I can stop for a snack without the app spliting my ride in two.

My app updated overnight to 1.0.161. That gave me the changes to the app, eg the adjustable idle delay.

However, I don't have the crawl mode. I checked through settings and the bike itself was still running the old 1.0.110 firmware.

I tried to update (hold + button down then - for 12 seconds). No change. I've tried turning it off then on again. No joy. The standby LED is flashing red not green & amber so the bike doesn't think there's an update to do. I think there used to be an "Update" button in the "Components Versions" app but that's no longer present in mine. So I'm stuck without the hardware update for now. Maybe software takes longer to get to New Zealand?

I will give it an hour then ask Stark support what the issue is.

stephane

Successfully did the upgrade of both phone app and bike this afternoon. Tried both crawl modes and it works great. I have not been able to check anything else really. I wonder how the change in power delivery will affect the bike in the woods. I guess I will have to try one of these days (hopefully it stops raining here).

fred900

I did the upgrade, have to go out for a test ride, last time I drove 250 miles to the track, did 2 turns and had to the push of shame.

Ross Shafer

Howdy all, I'm a geezerly kinda guy who's been dragged kicking and screaming into the digital world....the few braincells I have left that can grok the digital world are reserved for CAD design and CNC programming....I'm distinctly not a fan of light sequence codes or multi use buttons but I digress.....

I easily updated the phone app and this afternoon after many attempts and no as instructed light sequence...all of a sudden there was the new firmware version listed on my phone. I've no idea what I was doing wrong or right....and now cannot get crawl mode to work using the instructions from Stark's video (while engaged, press, hold and release (? demonstrator does but doesn't say release) top button for forward crawl and lower button for reverse"). I don't doubt that I'm missing something here, Anybody out there got any tips for an old fart before I use the "help me Mr. Wizard" button to Spain?

AL_V

Howdy all, I'm a geezerly kinda guy who's been dragged kicking and screaming into the digital world....the few braincells I have left that can grok the digital world are reserved for CAD design and CNC programming....I'm distinctly not a fan of light sequence codes or multi use buttons but I digress.....

I easily updated the phone app and this afternoon after many attempts and no as instructed light sequence...all of a sudden there was the new firmware version listed on my phone. I've no idea what I was doing wrong or right....and now cannot get crawl mode to work using the instructions from Stark's video (while engaged, press, hold and release (? demonstrator does but doesn't say release) top button for forward crawl and lower button for reverse"). I don't doubt that I'm missing something here, Anybody out there got any tips for an old fart before I use the "help me Mr. Wizard" button to Spain?
I am also a (retired) CNC programmer, and Cad designer (Catia), but a pretty versed user of digital "stuffs."
On the Stark phone, in the Stark app, check your bike's firmware version by tapping on the gear (settings), then tap on "Your bike."
At the bottom of the page your version of firmware will be displayed.
For crawl mode you must have at least 1.0.150 (probably 1.0.157)
If you have a lower firmware version, you still need to update the bike's firmware.
To update, the bike has to have a good cellular signal, the follow this procedure:

Ross Shafer

Thanks AL_V, The new firmware 1.0.157 is what the phone says is installed. Haven't tried again today yet, but as of last night no go on the crawl mode.

AL_V

Thanks AL_V, The new firmware 1.0.157 is what the phone says is installed. Haven't tried again today yet, but as of last night no go on the crawl mode.
with the bike operational (solid green light), hold the bottom button a few seconds until the LED turns purple.
Now you are in reverse crawl. hit the top button to cancel.

Ross Shafer

wow, such a fast response, thanks! Tried a few times just now, no go. Going away for a couple days. I'll reach out to the mother ship when I get home.
Thanks again for your input AL_V

UPDATE: as mentioned in my first post, yesterday when I "updated" my firmware, the proposed lighting sequence did not happen, though after a bunch of what I thought were unsuccessful (due to the light codes not being right) attempts, I found that the firmware listed on the phone was indeed the latest version. Though there was no crawl and my modes all stayed at the same settings. Tried again this morning per AL_V's input, and no go.

Since the amber light still blinked when I took it out of standby, I tried the update again (even though the phone was showing the update installed). This time the lighting codes were correct, I let it sit with the blinking multi colors for a few minutes and VOILA, all is good and working now. The '"my bike' page still shows the same same update it did before my second attempt. Apparently going through the update a second time cleared whatever hairball was clogging things up.

My favorite part of all this is the little man walking in the mode display.....yes, I'm easily entertained!

blbills

What's the consensus on the update? I've heard that it isn't as ideal for enduro bc you can't blip it as aggressively to lift the front wheel over logs? Anyone feel a range benefit? The crawl mode is cool but IMHO not worth it alone. Trying to decide if I take the plunge before a 2 week riding trip. Thanks!

AL_V

What's the consensus on the update? I've heard that it isn't as ideal for enduro bc you can't blip it as aggressively to lift the front wheel over logs? Anyone feel a range benefit? The crawl mode is cool but IMHO not worth it alone. Trying to decide if I take the plunge before a 2 week riding trip. Thanks!
I won't know until I go riding Saturday, there will be plenty of log crossings.
I normally run my 60hp Varg at 52hp for enduro, and I already feel like the front wheel doesn't come up easy enough, well it does, but you really have to crank the throttle back.
I wasn't expecting a big change in throttle response, but I'm glad to be aware of it.

blbills

I won't know until I go riding Saturday, there will be plenty of log crossings.
I normally run my 60hp Varg at 52hp for enduro, and I already feel like the front wheel doesn't come up easy enough, well it does, but you really have to crank the throttle back.
I wasn't expecting a big change in throttle response, but I'm glad to be aware of it.
Interested to hear your feedback. I have also narrowed in on 52hp for woods riding. I really like the snap down low and would hate to give that up. Maybe if you feel the throttle response try 60hp for me to see if it's similar to the old 52hp. Also curious to get your feedback on range.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I have been thinking recently... with all these smooth riders (Roxzen, Lawrence brothers) lugging through rough sections smoothly in taller gears, how can electric bike riders ride in taller gears?

The only thing that I came up with is to ride in a lower HP mode. But also have a higher HP mode available in the map switch when it is needed.

Who said you have to pick one mode for your entire ride and stay in it? Just because you can stay in map 3 for an entire lap without shifting, doesn't mean you should.

Ross Shafer

open the varg app, go to the gear wheel at the bottom of the page listing stats, modes, trails, part after pressing the gear wheel go to "your bike"...firmware version will be listed at the bottom of the list

AL_V

I have been thinking recently... with all these smooth riders (Roxzen, Lawrence brothers) lugging through rough sections smoothly in taller gears, how can electric bike riders ride in taller gears?

The only thing that I came up with is to ride in a lower HP mode. But also have a higher HP mode available in the map switch when it is needed.

Who said you have to pick one mode for your entire ride and stay in it? Just because you can stay in map 3 for an entire lap without shifting, doesn't mean you should.
Yes, of course you can switch "maps" while riding.
I have map 5 set full power (60 for me), and zero regen.
However, in practice, I am riding (hard enduro type riding) in mode 3 probably 95% of the time.
Really looking forward to the advantage of crawl mode, especially REVERSE!