New VARG Software Update.

ReVolter

I'm so scared to do an update since last time I updated that replaced my battery and powertrain. Was down for 3 weeks. Post your success on the update please!!!
After the announcement I checked for updates every day with no luck. When I finally got the bike out to the track and turned it on, guess what? It wanted to do the update then! So, I did the update and rode off in mode 3. I didn't notice any improvements but this was a track I never had the varg on before. It was not until later that I noticed the update had reset all my ride modes to 40hp and 70%.

wfopete

Heck I have update 1.0.167 (333). Opps Edit: Should be 161.

My bike has the timing part working but nutin' else. I think I need to let the phone live with the VCU while riding and it may come around.

AL_V

Interested to hear your feedback. I have also narrowed in on 52hp for woods riding. I really like the snap down low and would hate to give that up. Maybe if you feel the throttle response try 60hp for me to see if it's similar to the old 52hp. Also curious to get your feedback on range.
Rode medium-hard enduro today, here's my take:
Very little difference if any on throttle response, definitely not more difficult to "blip."
Noticeably increased regen, I was running 52hp and 100% regen, dropped it to 80%, and that's about how it used to be at 100%.
Regen seems to be tied in to the HP, meaning that 100% regen at 40hp felt the same as 80% at 52hp.
Not sure if this is new, or was already like this.
Reverse is awesome!
And crawl mode "locks" the rear wheel when the throttle is closed, but when "crawl" is cancelled, the wheel abruptly unlocks, may take some getting used to.
My bike actual "crawls" forward very slowly in either forward or reverse crawl mode even with the throttle closed.
I was on a hill, engaged crawl mode (think parking brake), and leaned the bike against a tree on the handguard.
If I let it, the bike would very slowly crawl forward, and fall off the tree.\
I did not notice any difference in range, but that would take testing on both versions to verify.
Did I mention reverse is awesome?
Enjoy!

happyinmotion

Also rode hard enduro today - think a steep dark dank forest with greasy roots and clay so slick you can barely stand. Five kilometres took us three hours.

For this style of riding, reverse and crawl are huge energy savers. I was using them constantly.

Here's what I want in the next software upgrade:
1. Traction control.
2. Reversing camera.

Theo

It was not until later that I noticed the update had reset all my ride modes to 40hp and 70%.
Yesterday at the track I updated the bike and noticed that it was less powerful, so I checked the maps settings and found out the same thing, then set it to 60 HP again and it felt pretty powerful again.

And crawl mode "locks" the rear wheel when the throttle is closed
I wonder whether it's proper to use this feature for things different from riding or moving the bike, like:
• keeping the countershaft still when removing the front sprocket bolt if not using an impact wrench,
• keeping the rear wheel locked during transportation, if it doesn't automatically switch to neutral after some time.

AL_V

Yesterday at the track I updated the bike and noticed that it was less powerful, so I cheched the maps settings and found out the same thing, then set it to 60 HP again and it felt pretty powerful again.

I wonder whether it's proper to use this feature for things different from riding or moving the bike, like:
• keeping the countershaft still when removing the front sprocket bolt if not using an impact wrench,
• keeping the rear wheel locked during transportation, if it doesn't automatically switch to neutral after some time.
I would definitely not use it for locking the wheel for transport (nor sprocket maint).
I’m sure it is consuming battery to keep the wheel locked. Also, mine does not stay still when locked, it “crawls“ forward very slowly, even with the throttle closed.

jcozine

I attempted the update yesterday when prompted by the phone and got a scary flashing red screen reporting an insulation fault afterward. Has anyone else run into this? What did you have to do? I've emailed stark but haven't heard back yet now 24hr later. Afraid to plug in the charger or do a hard reset for fear of making things worse. Ironically when I dismiss the warning the bike still works(!), but I don't have the new crawl feature so I guess the update didn't take.

IMG_7273.JPG

AL_V

I attempted the update yesterday when prompted by the phone and got a scary flashing red screen reporting an insulation fault afterward. Has anyone else run into this? What did you have to do? I've emailed stark but haven't heard back yet now 24hr later. Afraid to plug in the charger or do a hard reset for fear of making things worse. Ironically when I dismiss the warning the bike still works(!), but I don't have the new crawl feature so I guess the update didn't take.

View attachment 11653
WARNING WILL ROBINSON!
Please update us when you find out more!

erSitzt

I think im too stupid to find the firmware version of the bike (not app version).. :( can anybody share a screenshot where in the app it is displayed ?

AL_V

I think im too stupid to find the firmware version of the bike (not app version).. :( can anybody share a screenshot where in the app it is displayed ?
On the Stark phone, in the Stark app, check your bike's firmware version by tapping on the gear (settings), then tap on "Your bike."

erSitzt

On the Stark phone, in the Stark app, check your bike's firmware version by tapping on the gear (settings), then tap on "Your bike."
Yeah i know where.. but it seems to be missing. Thats why i wanted a screenshot to compare :)

Torqu3

Yeah mine looks like yours and doesn't show the firmware version I believe. Also mine has a yellow flashing light but will not update. I still have to schedule a support call but I've just been too busy to do it. They were ultra responsive but I just can't take the time Until next week. It still runs fine in the meantime.

OneEye

All,

My Varg Alpha shows firmware as 1.0.159 with App Ver 1.0.161

When I invoked the only update my bike ever indicated was available by flashing purple on the LED at power up, it began and terminated as expected with the LED flashing varying colors while in progress. Ever since though the LED flashes yellow at power up and in neutral, but no update can be invoked. The bike is usable, but I have no crawl mode, which bugs me somewhat because I programmed Mode 1 to 15HP just for forward crawl, and yes, reverse crawl would be great on the trail at times.

Is there a way to re-FLASH the firmware? I tried removing app updates, which forced the app to re-update and required me to login again, but an update to the bike still cannot be invoked. Since we're stuck with OTA updates it's hard to force anything. Access to the bootloader sure would be nice! Or at least a way to force an update via the app.

I emailed Stark about this a couple days ago but as of this moment I've received no reply. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Torqu3

All,

When I invoked the only update my bike ever indicated was available by flashing purple on the LED at power up, it began and terminated as expected with the LED flashing varying colors while in progress. Ever since though the LED flashes yellow at power up and in neutral, but no update can be invoked. The bike is usable, but I have no crawl mode, which bugs me somewhat because I programmed Mode 1 to 15HP just for forward crawl, and yes, reverse crawl would be great on the trail at times.

Is there a way to re-FLASH the firmware? I tried removing app updates, which forced the app to re-update and required me to login again, but an update to the bike still cannot be invoked. Since we're stuck with OTA updates it's hard to force anything. Access to the bootloader sure would be nice! Or at least a way to force an update via the app.

I emailed Stark about this a couple days ago but as of this moment I've received no reply. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Same issue here. They want to do a remote session but haven't had the time to try out.

erSitzt

All,

Thanks!

Same issue here. They want to do a remote session but haven't had the time to try out.

Same behavior I had. Short yellow flash at startup, then flashing green.
Let me know if support is able to connect to your bikes or if it's the same issue as with mine.🤷‍♂️
New VCU should arrive on Friday.