NRC fender eliminator

WoodsWeapon

I tack welded a couple nuts to the NRC underfender, and use a couple thumb bolts for quick removal of the plate and bracket.

WoodsWeapon

Now for some real weirdness. I just installed front and rear NRC setup, everything worked except the taillight and license plate light. After reading here about resistors and such, I decided to splice in my original incandescent taillight to see if that would put a load on it and make the LED work. It did not work, I could only get the quick flash and nothing else. I disconnected the incadescent and left only the LED lights connected and it works perfectly fine now? Although I am still missing the license plate light, but Im gonna play around with that next.
Im a mechanical guy through and through, and just cant comprehend what changed, but something did and it works now.

strider

Now for some real weirdness. I just installed front and rear NRC setup, everything worked except the taillight and license plate light. After reading here about resistors and such, I decided to splice in my original incandescent taillight to see if that would put a load on it and make the LED work. It did not work, I could only get the quick flash and nothing else. I disconnected the incadescent and left only the LED lights connected and it works perfectly fine now? Although I am still missing the license plate light, but Im gonna play around with that next.
Im a mechanical guy through and through, and just cant comprehend what changed, but something did and it works now.
Welcome to riding a rolling computer! This is getting more and more common in all kinds of vehicles these days. My Dad has a late-model BMW and randomly one of the doors will not unlock with the rest of them. He has had it to the dealer a number of times, the area rep has looked at it, no one can figure it out. The switch to a common software-controlled data bus for vehicles has some benefits but it can also cause some strange problems. Whatever you did satisfied some software load check somewhere and it's happy now. The days of pulling out your voltmeter and looking at a schematic are long gone....

WoodsWeapon

Yes rolling computer is very true. Tonight I rode it and everything is fine except when toggling the headlight from low to high, it shuts the taillight off until resetting the ignition. NRC was very helpful and responsive today, so hopefully they have an answer for this too.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
How is everyones' NRC working now? I'm looking to put lights on my MX. I know I have to go about it differently than the SM and EXs, but I think I can still use the NRC system for the rear fender.

Speedkills

It doesn’t have clearance to be run with 18/19” wheels. I ran into a guy today with an SM that had the NRC kit on, it looked great but he was running 18” wheels for the day and the first time he landed from a jump it folded his license plate under and he had to pull over and remove it to continue riding for the day.

WoodsWeapon

I only have my plate on when on the streets, any MX track or woods riding and I remove it. NRC offers great customer service, and was very helpful in resolving a few small issues. But there is one we’ve agreed to just leave alone. When headlight is on high beam, everything is fine. When on low beam, I lose the tailight and plate light. Im fine with this though as its a way to keep the kids from laughing at me as much on the track. Now if I could just turn off that pesky headlight too.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I only have my plate on when on the streets, any MX track or woods riding and I remove it. NRC offers great customer service, and was very helpful in resolving a few small issues. But there is one we’ve agreed to just leave alone. When headlight is on high beam, everything is fine. When on low beam, I lose the tailight and plate light. Im fine with this though as its a way to keep the kids from laughing at me as much on the track. Now if I could just turn off that pesky headlight too.

Hmmm.... that's awfully nice of you to overlook that issue. I'm sure NRC is unable to do much about it since it seems to be an Alta ACM issue not liking what it's seeing.

Are you able to completely remove the license plate bracket from the tail light? I don't have a need for mounting a plate on it yet, but I do need the lights to make the local officers happier.

WoodsWeapon

Yes plate bracket removes easily with 2 bolts. I tack welded nuts on underside, and use thumb screws for quick remove/replace.

Speedkills

Even with the plate easily removable it’s a show-stopper for my EXR as sometimes I bottom the bike out when playing around the city (I like to drop off of any loading docks I see, can’t resist).

WoodsWeapon

Well today I bottomed the rear pretty hard and a knobby caught the NRC. Ripped it right off the fender, then it got caught between the tire and swingarm and mangled the whole thing up, and ripped out wires on the Alta and NRC side of things. I’ll contact them and see what they think, but my thoughts are cutting the underfender to the same shape as the LED should provide enough clearance for it to not grab it again, only contact the fender.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Well today I bottomed the rear pretty hard and a knobby caught the NRC. Ripped it right off the fender, then it got caught between the tire and swingarm and mangled the whole thing up, and ripped out wires on the Alta and NRC side of things. I’ll contact them and see what they think, but my thoughts are cutting the underfender to the same shape as the LED should provide enough clearance for it to not grab it again, only contact the fender.

Yikes!! To quote @Speedkills, that's a shop stopper. I planned on ordering one, maybe I need to rethink this.

WoodsWeapon

Yes Speedkills nailed it. But now Im rethinking the whole deal, and using one plug for all the wires, and thumb screws for the fender mount would make the entire assembly quickly removable. Thats probably gonna be the best solution for me. Ill need to source an 8 wire plug and terminals from somewhere.

Oded

Wow, I guess it is not quite there yet for off roading. I ride quite hard with the stock assembly, and although it is not cosmetically beautiful, it works quite well.

Speedkills

I have one in a box I picked up and was going to put on either my SM or EXR. Looking at it I think it would be alright off road if I just moved the license plate back some but I am not 100% sure of that. Will try it out next time I feel like working on the bike a bit, might be as simple as drilling two new holes for the license plate mount closer to the back of the bike.

WoodsWeapon

I did not have the plate bracket on when the tire tore it off. Thinking back to when I had an MX, the bottom of the fender had some streaks from the tire, so I kinda knew it was gonna happen, especially since the EXR is so much softer.