Range Increase Software Update Released

Magoo69

So I do have 4G here at the house and it still doesn’t work. There is a yellow flashing light indicating new software but I can’t get it to download using the + and - buttons….this is so frustrating.

Foss

The phone needs to be connected to WiFi or 4G so leave it in neutral for like 5-10 mins. Eventually the indicator light will provide the status light of a pending update. Then you can continue with the stark video to perform the update.

Magoo69

The phone needs to be connected to WiFi or 4G so leave it in neutral for like 5-10 mins. Eventually the indicator light will provide the status light of a pending update. Then you can continue with the stark video to perform the update.
Thanks for your help…I am getting a yellow flashing light when the bike is in neutral, not purple. The download process shown in the Stark video is what is not working.

Foss

Thanks for your help…I am getting a yellow flashing light when the bike is in neutral, not purple. The download process shown in the Stark video is what is not working.
That means the software is preloaded and ready. Follow the update process using the video. The colors are never consistent, disregard the magenta color.

Foss

Stark Future just pushed another update correcting some issues. Your bikes should see another pending update preloaded.

One issue was the slow green light standby indicator light. That has been reverted to red.

sand300

I tried to update and it wasn't working despite having a decent 4g signal.

pushed my bike outside and it suddenly worked. when they say strong 4g signal required they aren't kidding. it must be maximum on the meter otherwise it won't
work

Jocke_D

Do you need 4G to get the upload to the phone only or do you need 4G to download from the phone to the Stark?
I'm not sure I understand the question fully, hope this helps :)

Phone can connect via 4G or WiFi. To update app or whatever. The phone is in no way needed to operate or update the bike.
Bike can only connect via its' own 4G data sim that sits in the VCU (on the bike).

Swank171

interested to start seeing if anyone who has been successful with the update.

I’m anxious to see what kind of improvement motocross sees as far as range.

sand300

when I updated mine it was sat at 17 percent and jumped to 21 percent after the update.

it's really hard to say as there's so many variables.
I'm 74kg and managed 84 mins at motocross track. it was very wet but hard pack track.
I'm not sure if range will be better or worse on a dry day.
normal conditions I lap the track at 2:02. yesterday's best time was a 2:11.

on the one hand there's less wheel spin/drag and weight from mud on the bike in the dry.
on the other hand you'll be going faster using a higher amount of power..... but then again the corner speed will be quicker so less accelerating getting up to speed.....

if the range increase really is 15-20 percent it should hopefully be noticeable

Swank171

I definitely agree that if there’s a 15 to 20% increase in range, we shouldn’t have to question conditions and split hairs. They either hit the mark or they did not. I have been expecting quite a bit more capacity considering how conservative their software seems to be to get production out quickly.

mike61

Today! 8°C.
Easy riding around the village, slow offrad riding with some easy obstackles.
38 km 100% down to 33% average speed 26 km/h.
Most parts in 30HP mode some in 40 HP.

My friend on his Surron UltraBee was with me.
From 100 to 16% battery.

Both 90kg!

It is really fun to ride in silence. With endless momentum.

NZEV

I'm not sure I understand the question fully, hope this helps :)

Phone can connect via 4G or WiFi. To update app or whatever. The phone is in no way needed to operate or update the bike.
Bike can only connect via its' own 4G data sim that sits in the VCU (on the bike).
What evidence do you have to say that the VCU has it's own 4G sim?? That is the purpose of having the Stark phone, it acts as the data connection.

mike61

I remember that I read somewhere an STARK information.

It should be possible to locate the VARG without the phone when it will be necessary.
Theft maybe!

F451

I’d love someone like Tucker at ECR to do one of his range tests comparing pre software update to post software update.

I’m skeptical there is any significant range increase, unless they were intentionally limiting battery drain % to a large degree with the bikes they have already delivered. Which is entirely possible if they were trying to be conservative with the battery drain for whatever reason.

I think I will shoot Tucker a note and see if he’s interested in doing a test, perhaps he’s on it already.

Jocke_D

What evidence do you have to say that the VCU has it's own 4G sim?? That is the purpose of having the Stark phone, it acts as the data connection.

Because the engineers told me so while I did a remote diagnostic session :)
Coolest thing was when they turned the wheel while I was standing next to the bike.

I work with these kind of things so actually nothing special (I have remote controlled a drill rig in Texas weighing some 100tons while in my office in Sweden) but it's still cool to see it happen in your own garage :)