Rear hand brake - major fading, solution??

AgileMike

I should have written an update a while ago. After riding more with the LHRB, I discovered the major cause of my rear brake fading was .... ME. I think the rear brake was so easy to use when on the handlebars, I started using the rear brake too much. As soon as I rode with a more correct style with the front brake doing much more of the work, my fading issues have disappeared completely. I can now do intense 20 minutes sessions on moto track with zero fade.

jcozine

I was surprised to see the stock pads appear to be FF rated. Has anyone found a good source for HH pads? I'm having a hard time finding the friction rating on any of the aftermarket EBC or Brembo options

IMG_7219.JPG

Kurlon

EBC pads have the compound right in the PN. https://www.ebcbrakes.com/motorbike/usa/STARK/Varg MX/

Front / Rear
FA181X / FA368X - Organic compound
FA181R / FA368R - Sintered 'R' compound, not quite as aggro as their 'HH' sintered, standard 'dirt' offering
MXS181 / MXS368 - MX specific aggro sintered compound
FA181HH / FA368HH - Road specific aggro HH sintered compound
EPFA181HH / EPFA368HH - Full aggro HH sintered, eat your rotors, want some heat to work, high initial bite, can also generate enough heat to glaze/melt if pushed

LTJ

I'm pretty picky about my brake setup and I will say an oversized rear brake rotor was the ticket for me. I can lock the rear wheel with a single finger and it has great feel (not affiliated in any way).

After my second ride with the Varg, I'm finding I'm loving the LHRB, but would like a little more power for my old fingers. Just to confirm, the KTM/Husky/GasGas oversized rotor and bracket work with the Stark Varg? For $99 that is deal!

blbills

After my second ride with the Varg, I'm finding I'm loving the LHRB, but would like a little more power for my old fingers. Just to confirm, the KTM/Husky/GasGas oversized rotor and bracket work with the Stark Varg? For $99 that is deal!
Yep!

LTJ

I contacted SV about larger rotor kit and they told me doing so would void the warranty. From a design stand point, moving the caliper out gives the caliper more leverage relative to the rotor. This in turn reduces the reaction forces at the swing arm mounts. I don't see a problem with this. I guess they got to go with the canned warranty warning.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I contacted SV about larger rotor kit and they told me doing so would void the warranty. From a design stand point, moving the caliper out gives the caliper more leverage relative to the rotor. This in turn reduces the reaction forces at the swing arm mounts. I don't see a problem with this. I guess they got to go with the canned warranty warning.
Bull :poop:. They'd have to prove that your mod caused a problem being claimed under warranty.

1724776267324.png

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
WHOOOOAAAAAA!!!!!!

View attachment 11822
The stock rear caliper fit and mounted perfectly. But the dual-piston front Brembo caliper did not fit on either my Stark or my Alta. It looks like there is a design flaw and the ears of the "stunt" bracket are about 1.0 mm too close to the face of the brake disk. I sent an email to NiceCNC... hoping to receive an answer on Monday.

jcozine

An update on this for anyone interested: I tried the EBC MXS compound brake pads (these), and while not as strong as I would prefer (still a little under gunned compared to the front, lacking the snappy rear feel of my 350xcf), they are definitely an improvement to where I'm not thinking about it while I'm riding any more. Good money spent

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The stock rear caliper fit and mounted perfectly. But the dual-piston front Brembo caliper did not fit on either my Stark or my Alta. It looks like there is a design flaw and the ears of the "stunt" bracket are about 1.0 mm too close to the face of the brake disk. I sent an email to NiceCNC... hoping to receive an answer on Monday.
NiceCNC offered to refund me $15, LOL, which was their Labor Day discount, but they refused to fix the "stunt caliper" portion of their bracket. I would have to mill 1mm off of that bracket to make it fit. I also had to dremel the Brembo bracket to clear the brake disk mounting bolts. It is not a bolt-on solution, it needs work. I will be away for a few weeks, but I will post another update in about a month to let you know how it worked.