STARK VARG (Something new is coming!)

Matt

E-Rider
Does anyone know what the continuous HP average would be for a 125,250,450 over the course of an hour. I think this would be a very helpful metric in terms of comparing electrics to gas bikes. For example assuming 100% effective from battery to end use on this bike we have 6kwhs to use in 1 hr or about 8hp continuous. I am wondering what the continuous hp average would be for gas bikes to see where this bike falls in terms of range and power

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I see the other rider in the vid besides Josh Hill and Seb Tortelli was our very own Mat Rebeaud. I guess the bike will flip.

testus191

I agree, 400 2170 cells seems to add up. 400cells*3.6V*4.0aH=5.76kWh~6kWh

Also 400*.15lbs/cell=60lbs of cell weight. Advertised pack weight is 70.4lbs (32kg) including BMS and all typical included battery componentry. So 70.4lbs/60lbs=1.17 for pack weight to cell weight ratio. Alta and KTM are both closer to 1.4 ratio. The 1.17 seems a bit low and I feel like something has to give there. Either the claimed weight is low, the claimed capacity is high (likely capacity at max voltage rather than nominal which is what Alta claimed as well...) or the case is light and flimsy.

In the end, performance will be marginally better than the Alta if any when it comes to real world application.

Also, the claimed weight of the bike, 242lbs, claimed capacity of the pack, and claimed power output just doesn't seem to add up especially at the price point they are claiming. I can't imagine a super light frame without some high end manufacturing, not unless its so flimsy it can't actually be ridden. Hopefully they have a trick up their sleeve and I'm wrong.

$.02

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Its probably the claimed weight and capacity. Over time with design development and homologation, parts balloon in weight. Also with cells, it sounds like theres a better cell on the market thats better than Murata.

testus191

Hahah. Yup. But big issue is supply. Finding 50s cells is hard as heck that are Automotive grade
That's my point, these have the best latest and greatest specs, can't find them anywhere, at least as a consumer, and are relatively unproven and even using those specs their capacity and weight for the pack seems a bit over marketed to me. Voltage sag is apparently pretty bad in the 50s at even just over half of their claimed max draw.

Personally, I think we're a new form of energy containment away from electric being competitive... in motorcycles anyway.

Brillie35

Make Alta Great Again
Does anyone know what the continuous HP average would be for a 125,250,450 over the course of an hour. I think this would be a very helpful metric in terms of comparing electrics to gas bikes. For example assuming 100% effective from battery to end use on this bike we have 6kwhs to use in 1 hr or about 8hp continuous. I am wondering what the continuous hp average would be for gas bikes to see where this bike falls in terms of range and power
Well if you use 10l of petrol for a total ride time of 1 hour.
With a estimated efficiency of 15%.
It would be 9,1x10x0,15= 13,6 kWh you would need in battery power for a rough comparison.

Knipsel2.PNG

Knipsel3.PNG

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Well if you use 10l of petrol for a total ride time of 1 hour.
With a estimated efficiency of 15%.
It would be 9,1x10x0,15= 13,6 kWh you would need in battery power for a rough comparison.

View attachment 7975

View attachment 7976
Well, I'm a little peeved that we are still focusing on Lithium batteries when we could be using Uranium to power these bad boys. Then we could really rub the noses of those stupid range-bullies with our glow-in-the-dark mega dirt bikes.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Well, I'm a little peeved that we are still focusing on Lithium batteries when we could be using Uranium to power these bad boys. Then we could really rub the noses of those stupid range-bullies with our glow-in-the-dark mega dirt bikes.
That was my thought when I compared the energy density of fuels. And besides, I could use to grow a second head, maybe it will contain a brain!

Brillie35

Make Alta Great Again
You would only need 130 gram for a life time of energy, how harmfull could that be :D

Knipsel.PNG

Knipsel1.PNG

VINSANITY

This is cool - nice to see Joh Hill involved in development.

If you look closely a lot of the design elements are Alta derivatives - motor placement looks the same and seems to have a reduction gear like the Alta - a plastic subframe.

The battery appears to be structural and having the battery casing hold the individual cells is the game changer for weight and cooling.

If this thing works the OEM’s better take notice.