Steering Damper

gprix1

Are you running one?
Yes, I am running an Ohlins damper which has the post built into a special upper bearing race. This pic was when I had it on the stock Alta triple but I had to machine a custom stem nut to do it. With my KTM triple it just mounts right up with no special parts.
You could easily run a Scotts, GPR etc with the KTM triple clamps alao.
BF6409DD-E24D-4410-A063-7274208AD94F.jpeg

thsm007

which Ohlins unit is that? Thanks for the help. I did reach out to Scotts they said the frame bracket / clamp will not fit the alta even with a KTM triple...

gprix1

which Ohlins unit is that? Thanks for the help. I did reach out to Scotts they said the frame bracket / clamp will not fit the alta even with a KTM triple...
It's the Ohlins 2.1 and there's not many around as Ohlins has stopped producing it.
The answer Scotts gave you is only half true. You absolutely can mount the KTM specific steering damper on a KTM clamp. The problem would be the clamp/post. You would need to have a piece of aluminum tubing tig-welded to your frame to mount the post. If you really want a steering damper, it is totally do-able even if it's not officially supported.
s1600_100_1498.jpg

M

mike tillery

F Y I ohlins has started making the v-2.1 damper again. I just bought one for 2019 ktm from ohlins in Hendersonville north Carolina. $700 nice unit

gprix1

F Y I ohlins has started making the v-2.1 damper again. I just bought one for 2019 ktm from ohlins in Hendersonville north Carolina. $700 nice unit
Good news!
When I spoke with Ohlins a year ago they said they were no longer going to make them. Guess they changed their minds.

M

mike tillery

And you’re correct or year ago they were no longer available I just bought v 2.1 two weeks ago from Them.
I’m still a registered Ohlins Usa dealer.
I’m currently working with Jerry right now at Ohlins Usa and With PR2 linkage in Pennsylvania. I just fit a TTX Ohlins rear shock on one of my altas this week. Also going to try a set of RFX 48 forks I have from a KTM

Trialsman

So is there anyone else that has mounted up the Ohlins 2.1? I just picked one up from a guy in the UK and wanted to start to play with it. One method it to TIG the post. Another is to drill two holes and tap them for screws. I did this on my KTM Freeride and it has worked well. Let me know any ideas. I might head down to the shop later tonight to take a look at it.

gprix1

So is there anyone else that has mounted up the Ohlins 2.1? I just picked one up from a guy in the UK and wanted to start to play with it. One method it to TIG the post. Another is to drill two holes and tap them for screws. I did this on my KTM Freeride and it has worked well. Let me know any ideas. I might head down to the shop later tonight to take a look at it.

With the Ohlins 2.1 it has the post integrated in an upper bearing race that replaces the stock race. No need to mount a post to the frame. If you use another type of damper (i.e. Scotts) then you will need to mount a post like you described.

gprix1

Nice job. I forgot about the clearance needed for the bars. When I had my 2.1 on the Alta clamps I had a taller set of KTM clamps laying around so I used those. Just had to widen the slots on the bases a bit to fit the Alta. Looks like you purchased yours with the proper stem nut for the Alta stem which is definitely a better way to go than machining a custom one.

Trialsman

Actually, I cut the threaded end off the Alta steering stem then drilled and tapped it to match the Ohlins stem bolt. I figured at worst the steering stem would be cheap to replace. If I ever sell it and wish to hold onto the damper a simple bolt would bring it back to "stock". As a side note aluminum bars can be compromised by the sharp edge of the lower bar clamps. While apart, radius the bar clamps to eliminate formation of a stress riser and the possibility of snapping off a bar at the clamp.

gprix1

Actually, I cut the threaded end off the Alta steering stem then drilled and tapped it to match the Ohlins stem bolt.
Now THAT is the way to do it!
Wish I had thought of that. Simple and very effective. I think this will be the new standard for others wanting to go with the Ohlins.
For the benefit of the forum, what size tap did you use?

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Actually, I cut the threaded end off the Alta steering stem then drilled and tapped it to match the Ohlins stem bolt. I figured at worst the steering stem would be cheap to replace. If I ever sell it and wish to hold onto the damper a simple bolt would bring it back to "stock". As a side note aluminum bars can be compromised by the sharp edge of the lower bar clamps. While apart, radius the bar clamps to eliminate formation of a stress riser and the possibility of snapping off a bar at the clamp.

I'm interested in installing this stabilizer. Can you go into more detail on what you machine work you had to do? Without one in my hand it's hard to envision.

Trialsman

The first thing after disassembly of the front end is to take out the steering stem and cut off the external threads. The easiest way is a large lathe since the stem is made with an eccentric for different values of rake. Drill and tap to the depth of the stem nut of the damper, about 3/4". Looking from the top when the damper is centered on the stem it will interfere with the Alta clamps. You must raise the bars at least 3/8" anyway so minimal material will need to be removed from the inside of each lower clamp. A milling machine is best for this once you scribe how much overlap there is. The last photo is the head bearing. Tap out the OEM and replace it with the Ohlins unit being careful to keep it in line with the axis of the frame. I used red Loctite liberally on both the frame and the Ohlins race. I held it tight with clamps for 48 hrs to let things cure. Grease the bearings and the post when assembling, I used Belray waterproof grease. A starting point for adjustment is DL=12 clicks and RTC=8 clicks. Adjust to personal preference, ride, and have fun enjoying this really great bike.IMG_5256.jpgIMG_5259.jpgIMG_5261.jpg