SUR-RON MX

autohog

i own a stock surron. its a weird little bike.

it absolutely needs wider wheels, better tires, better fork, better brakes and a 4kwh battery and a better controller (I have almost none of these items), and to be geared down. but these would be expensive mods, like $4k at least.

if the surron had all the above mods, on a tight technical trail ie a trail where on a ICE bike you never leave 2nd/3rd, i do not think it would be possible to run the trail faster than the surron, and it will be way less tiring than on an ICE bike.
"absolutely needs wider wheels, better tires, better fork, better brakes" too funny. Agreed, I would add better geometry, better suspension, better... oh nevermind

autohog

I am very lucky to have received very limited number of preproduction unit and I now understand why the rear shock is positioned the way it is; its positioned in such an angle so that the battery can be easily removed (a huge accessible space is needed therefore the rear shock mount cant be anymore forward than it currently is).

Check out the top of the frame with the Battery removed (my tech guy is holding the battery) and u will get the picture.

p.s. mounting the shock at such an angle is also nothing new. Its been proven to work equally well before.

View attachment 5892
What bike is this?

snydes

Staff member
I am sort of embarrassed to show this ugly motoView attachment 5784

I had the chance to throw a leg over enjoythesilenc’s modded Sur-Ron this past weekend. While it may look a little crazy it’s a very effective single track machine! His modifications allow this one to wheelie effortlessly, the beefier forks are definitely a plus as well. Was riding with a group where several of the guys were struggling on some technical climbs with their tricked out woods bikes, and here I come along buzzing right by on the little electric ugly duckling :LOL:! I think I might have wounded their pride somewhat...

enjoythesilenc

I finally got to test the hopped up surron on the big shale climbs where it previously ran out of power.:muutt: It can now do all the hillclimbs without stalling out:ricky: I'll keep working on the bugs and maybe the shock and rear tire etc etc ad infinitum.

F451

If they were a little bit larger physically all around I would be seriously considering getting one. And if they had better warranty support and parts availability. I may still pick one up, but sitting on the sidelines making sure I don't test ride one because I think if I did I would immediately buy one. Just like what happened with my Alta, Lol.

snydes

Staff member
I didn’t get that same post Alta ride feeling, probably because I already own an Alta, but I think one of these might have a place in my garage at some point. There was another guy there with a mostly stock light bee that I was also able to ride for a comparison in power which was very helpful. Stock is certainly substantially less thrilling, but still would be a capable trail machine for most trails that don’t have any significant climbs (which is typically the best part of trail riding though...). The light weight and shorter wheelbase is certainly very maneuverable, but the trade off is it’s a very nervous sort of handling machine IMO. Like everyone says, it’s half mountain bike, half dirt bike. What I find appealing is also the ability to hotrod one with far less chance of death at the much lower voltage that these operate at, and I’d love to be able to tinker more for the sake of learning.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
For taller people, the light bee is going to be a hard fit, it is small. However, for the inseam challenged, this is a really fun and capable little bike for tight woods and low speed riding. Here around my house, there is lots of dense underbrush which hides fallen trees of all sizes, and I have no hesitation to wander down a deer path to explore, if I encounter a fallen tree, I can ride over most anything, and what I can't, I can pick the bike up and carry it over. 110 Lbs is not too hard to lift over obstacles.

I let my nephews play with mine this summer and challenged them to see how fast the stock bike can go. They achieved 50 MPH! (yes, down a long steep hill)

F451

Where can I find this bike to possibly buy?

The Storm Bee (the full sized dirt bike) from Sur Ron is not available for sale in the US yet.

Not sure who will be selling them. Luna Cycles in CA sells the Light Bee, but it doesn't sound like they have any interest in selling the Storm Bee, which seems weird to me. My couple of emails back and forth with them about the Storm Bee has me wondering if they are anti-dirt bikes, being that they are primarily an e-bicycle seller.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
good golly what did you do to Frankenbike lol

I have over 4000 mi on my Luna cycle Sur Ron mostly commuting some off-roading with my son
Needs tires & brake pads otherwise broke like 4 front spokes wheels OE suck
Crossed a flooded river above the seat -do that with gasser
No major issues & battery range consistent

but need close to 12k before it’s paid for itself & free ;)

enjoythesilenc

I just did a roadtrip to phoenix and denver with a stop in moab. I was logistically challenged as you can see, so the Alta didnt get to go:(

Going to Brushy mountain, NC next week so I need to work out a charge-at-camp strategy.

enjoythesilenc

20210125_172854.jpg

More frankenbikeism. Changed from 19 inches front and back to 18 and 21. Let's me use taller sidewalls, rides better over chunky stuff. Heaviest surron around, though. I wonder if it will still fit inside my car=)

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
Was
View attachment 6593

More frankenbikeism. Changed from 19 inches front and back to 18 and 21. Let's me use taller sidewalls, rides better over chunky stuff. Heaviest surron around, though. I wonder if it will still fit inside my car=)
thinking the opposite
Have around 4K miles & my kids about to outgrow his OSET MX10 this thinking of buying another one & reducing wheels to a 16”/14” f/r