[UPDATE] Firmware v1.0.76 & App v1.0.108

Foss

All,

New updates were pushed allowing more interactions within the Stark Future app. Looks like we have the ability to enable race mode with some parameters involving OTA firmware pushes directly from the phone. These new options are within your app settings.

I was able to successfully upgrade all to v1.0.76 across the board for all components. If anyone has a flashing yellow light post upgrade on the bike, just repeat the upgrade procedure (holding (+) & (-) for 12 seconds) which will fix any integrity checks to the upgrade. Proceed with caution using this new update feature see that it is brand new. I would only experiment with this update feature if you are knowledgeable with troubleshooting and do not mind emailing back and forth with Stark. Also I would not use it for current known issues. Please reach out to Stark when experiencing persistent issues.

Unfortunately, I do not have any changelogs regarding the bikes firmware, but have included a general list from the app. Note, the track feature icon redirects you to the parts link; looks to be a bug.

Screenshot_20240405-202651.jpeg

Screenshot_20240405-202407.jpeg

Screenshot_20240405-202517.jpeg

Screenshot_20240405-202447.png

Screenshot_20240405-202559.jpeg

Swank171

Really curious about what they plan to do for those that may wanna race more than 1 class on a weekend of racing….?

One of the benifits to having one of these is you have 5 bikes in 1. You can have any power level so a guy racing 250 and 450 locally couldn’t do that with one bike in this scenario. You’d need to have another bike still cause you’d be locked out of that second class under “race mode”

I used to race everything I could on a weekend to make as much as I could in the local level….

AL_V

Really curious about what they plan to do for those that may wanna race more than 1 class on a weekend of racing….?

One of the benifits to having one of these is you have 5 bikes in 1. You can have any power level so a guy racing 250 and 450 locally couldn’t do that with one bike in this scenario. You’d need to have another bike still cause you’d be locked out of that second class under “race mode”

I used to race everything I could on a weekend to make as much as I could in the local level….
Excellent point! Either they didn't think of that, or haven't devised a solution yet.

Kurlon

There really isn't a 'good' solution, if the ability to toggle the mode exists, it'll get abused, which is why they instead have the lockdown for a time window.

Swank171

There really isn't a 'good' solution, if the ability to toggle the mode exists, it'll get abused, which is why they instead have the lockdown for a time window.
Cause no one has thought of one? There are ways to figure this out but making it so you still need 2 bikes is kinda taking one of the benefits of having an e bike.

You could have the 250 mode and 450 mode be temp locked and then leave the phone with an official so you could come back and switch it back. If you don’t have a higher go mode available you can’t switch to it.

Or have a temp code generated that only the race official can unlock between motos to swap modes.

There are so many ways to go about this. I’m simply bringing up a problem I see based off of my life of racing.

It won’t bother me now. I just cruise with the little guy.

mbw479

Just gotta be brave and race the 450s with 48 electric ponies 😆
That would be fine, I have seen 125's win world enduro titles outright, and MXDN motos against 250's. It's not uncommon to see fastest lap times by 250's over 450's at MX events.

Swank171

I would say it happens but I wouldn’t say it’s common….also those doing that are the likes of those that are not human…those that would have also won on a bigger bike. Pastrana/stewart are household names that have done that just to name 2….it does happen but common? Not so much.

I doubt anyone who has a chance to say “make my bike slower than everyone” would jump on the opportunity willingly. Especially when just trying to make a few extra bucks racing. I needed every advantage I could get….

Swank171

Besides the whole point isn’t can you “man up” and ride a 48hp with 450s….its can I race the bike I bought in both classes? Why settle when you paid for something that should do both…?

AgileMike

I don't feel that racing 450s in 48hp mode is much of a disadvantage, unless you are racing at the highest level. I typically race my Stark in either 42HP or 44HP modes. I was pulling 450s up the Mesquite hill with that little horsepower. And very similar abilities to mine. I think the Stark torque just gets the power to the ground very well.

Swank171

I don't feel that racing 450s in 48hp mode is much of a disadvantage, unless you are racing at the highest level. I typically race my Stark in either 42HP or 44HP modes. I was pulling 450s up the Mesquite hill with that little horsepower. And very similar abilities to mine. I think the Stark torque just gets the power to the ground very well.
My point is aimed at those racing at a local pro level. Someone who is using the bike to make money locally to save what they need for travel expenses…..the weekend warrior isn’t going to miss 60hp.

wfopete

So, has anyone tried the Varg updated to this firmware version? Any problems?
My Varg is dead after the update I did Tuesday. After I made the update just for kicks put in a race mode to see what the process was like. Then I turned the phone off because I was getting ready to wash the bike. Now all I get is a red light that goes off when I release the power button.

Working with Stark but no solution as of today.

Theo

My Varg is dead after the update I did Tuesday. After I made the update just for kicks put in a race mode to see what the process was like. Then I turned the phone off because I was getting ready to wash the bike. Now all I get is a red light that goes off when I release the power button.

Working with Stark but no solution as of today.
Well, after having read post #1 I didn't update the firmware to that version and surely I'm not going to do it now that I've read about your problem. Honestly my bike works properly and unless it becomes necessary for some reasons or they release a newer version, I think I shouldn't update.
Today I've updated the app though and now the racing mode is described as a beta function.
Sorry for the frustating problem, by the way.

wfopete

Stark emailed me today and said it's the battery. Sending me a new one.

I don't know if the update had anything to do with it but it sure was coincidental.

Theo

Stark emailed me today and said it's the battery. Sending me a new one.

I don't know if the update had anything to do with it but it sure was coincidental.
As far as I've understood from this post, it happened to someone else, too! From my limited knowledge of electronics, it is possible that a faulty update leads the bike to do something which harms the battery, like for example managing the voltage or the state of charge of the cells in the wrong way.

Now my problem is that I am stuck with my current firmware because I am pretty scared of starting an update! I hope that the bike will continue working properly anyways; I don't see why it shouldn't. About the latest version of the app, I can say that it managed to connect to the bike and at least read the state of charge; I hope there won't be compatibility issues between the latest app and an older firmware when charging or riding.
On the other hand, they have written in the manual that with a magenta light the bike needs to be updated: if I don't do that and something goes wrong, I am taking a responsibility. Today is Sunday, I won't ride anyways and if something goes wrong and it's fixable just with service support I have a whole week before next weekend... 🤔

So, have they emailed you on Saturday? There probably is a time zone difference from here in Italy to where you live and that may have confused me...

wfopete

Yes I received the Stark Email Saturday. Stark is replacing the battery but they don't specifically say what is wrong. It could be a bad cell or a component other than a cell inside the cases causing the issue. There is no advertised method for checking for fault codes at the user level at this time. I mean when you have your only visible CAN Bus port coming right out of the battery that tells me there is a lot more to those cases than just housing battery cells. I don't remember much about their video showing the battery assembly process but we all know their are plenty of battery cells in those cases and any number of them can go bad. We also don't know much about their Battery Management System (BMS). If the BMS detects a problem it may be designed to shut the whole system down OR it may not be designed to do that but it is anyway. Inside that battery case you could have microprocessors galore, each talking to each other with the own protocol. I am looking forward to the day when someone outside the factory pops one of these battery cases open and starts poking around.

Theo

On the other hand, they have written in the manual that with a magenta light the bike needs to be updated: if I don't do that and something goes wrong, I am taking a responsibility. Today is Sunday, I won't ride anyways and if something goes wrong and it's fixable just with service support I have a whole week before next weekend... 🤔
Ok, so I've just updated my bike. I've tested it by spinning the rear wheel with the throttle on the stand in different maps, by charging it some minutes and by testing it again after having turned the phone off and then on (see post #13). I haven't tested race mode and surely I won't do it until it will be displayed as a beta feature.

Yes I received the Stark Email Saturday.
Cool! Unless it was still Friday in Barcelona and you live somewhere where it was Saturday already, it apparently means that they are starting to give support on weekends, too and the weekend is probably the time when people need support the most.

There is no advertised method for checking for fault codes at the user level at this time.
Well, until the warranty will be valid and the support will be free of charge this will look reasonable to me; I hope that we will have some diagnostic tool when we will be more on our own.

hawk101

I rode with the update this past Sunday without any major issues. One time a yellow light appearesd when turning on from hibernate. However, I just held the red button down to hibernate and then started again and the flashing green neutral light appeared. I never activated the race mode, but did update the bike and app.

It is nice there's an update button in the app now instead of having to use the 12 second button hold.