Varg Silent Passing Issues

JW884

I used to have the Alta EXR horn hooked up on my bike to a 9v battery, but poor mounting was the end of that idea. I bought this all-in-one battery powered horn last year, but never mounted it up, again, was trying to find a good mounting solution, and then forgot about it. It's plenty loud enough, and could easily detach and recharge. A lot of times, I honestly give a quick "WOOOO" for a heads up. I'm generally conservative with my passing, so no real incidents have occurred anyways. Amazon All-in-One Horn

DonCox

a ring tone ( electric zap shock sound ) on a small speaker with bar button -
I have ordered the parts for a good small waterproof speaker and an small MP3 player. I have 12V on our DIY bikes, it is easier to wire in. Low base sounds carry farther than like High tones, But we'll get some sound out there. I will report back when I get it working

tldpro317

You could buy a typical motorcycle horn and momentary switch off Amazon for like $20, then buy a small 12v rechargeable Li battery pack and tape it behind your front number plate. Wire the horn directly off the battery (which will last a long time if the horn is the only load) and now you have a horn without tapping into the factory wiring or auxiliary power. It would take less than 30 min to install.

Swank171

I’m just sayin….if Honda drops their e bike before I get my stark and it’s not like the stark where it is Wi-Fi linked and can be constantly monitored by any one anywhere on the web I’ll be “silently passing” on my order without even a honk or yell….Hahah.

I’m seeing more and more software issues (to be expected and stark future is kicking butt in customer service!! This is not a knock on stark) I am learning more about the operating system on this bike and it’s seems more like a computer than a light switch. I’d rather have an alta/surron with less adjustable parameters
That isn’t so interconnected to the internet/grid. Not only am I not a fan of someone just logging into my bike I also think it can carry a larger array of issues.

What if the stark phone gets a virus? Haha. Will your bike stop every time you get a pop up ad? Will stark start some sort of subscription based program for some features…?

I don’t know. I personally don’t need a bike that’s on the web…..

erSitzt

I dont think the phone is much of an issue, it works the same as almost any current e-mtb... you connect, you configure, you save and you're done.
Only difference, you can leave your phone connected and use it as a dash, but you dont have to.
And about the "constantly monitored by anyone anywhere..", the phone comes with a 2gb data-only sim card so you can update the phone/app and the bike when it is connected via BT to the phone. The bike itself has no sim card in it.. as far as i know.

I think cost wise a phone and its capabilities, connectivity and upgradeability are way cheaper than a purpose built dashboard. *Upgraded* dashboard options on some street bike models cost more too (Yamaha MT-07 Pure is around 500€ cheaper than the version with the tft screen... )

As for the subscription stuff, this is already happening ;) 60 or 80hp is already a software only limit/feature linked to your bike, which can be upgraded after purchase.
If they add features by software for an additional fee, like traction control or the ability to save more presets... i will definitely keep my eyes open what the other manufacturers are doing. But if you look at many of the established car manufacturers, this sadly is already common practice.

I hope they dont take the Evil-Corp route :)

Swank171

You make some solid points…..I’d personally like to take the docking station off and just have a normal bar pad. Such a distraction to me. And I guess im just getting old and cranky….

SubSonic

Don that is good idea -
Rider can pick sound bike makes -maybe just play music -
maybe have Passing button - Gets Louder when pushed for 5 seconds-

ebike / ecars really need to make some kind of sound especially when going slow- side streets /parking lots

erSitzt

As for the silent passing... our forklifts have these security light using a laserpointer, projecting a line or box in front of the driving direction so workers can see them coming...Maybe a nice addon ;)

Arc-Light-Isle-2.jpg

AL_V

You make some solid points…..I’d personally like to take the docking station off and just have a normal bar pad. Such a distraction to me. And I guess im just getting old and cranky….
Without the phone mounted, you won't know your battery percentage, that makes for some serious range anxiety!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
As for the subscription stuff, this is already happening ;) 60 or 80hp is already a software only limit/feature linked to your bike, which can be upgraded after purchase.
I think this is fake news. IIRC, you can't order a 60ph Varg and then easily upgrade it to 80hp.

Swank171

Without the phone mounted, you won't know your battery percentage, that makes for some serious range anxiety!
I’d be okay with learning its limits and then basing my motos off that. The screen is such a distraction to me.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I’d be okay with learning its limits and then basing my motos off that. The screen is such a distraction to me.
Before each moto, just rock the bike vigorously from side to side a bit. You can easily tell the amount of charge left by the swishing sound of the electrons sloshing around inside the battery. No need for those pansy displays or flashy lights, and all their fancy “percentages” and precise “graphs.” A real rider should be as one with his bike and just know.

KyleHawkins

I did a lemons car race. This one guy had his car alarm going off for the 250 laps. I was so distracting but I knew where he was all the time.

fsfs

As for the silent passing... our forklifts have these security light using a laserpointer, projecting a line or box in front of the driving direction so workers can see them coming...Maybe a nice addon ;)

View attachment 10608
You should post that classic German forklift safety video. Do you know which one I am talking about?

joelpbiker

Hey everyone,

So I've been ripping around on the Varg for a bit now and it's mostly awesome. But there's one thing that's been bugging me, and I wanted to see if any of you have faced the same.

Whenever I'm out there, especially in heavy traffic, passing becomes a real headache. I've had more than a few people tell me they didn't hear me coming. I've even had a couple of unintended bumps with others and one guy crashed because of that, not fun.

I know some folks might suggest shouting out or something, but constantly yelling "On your left!" or "Coming through!" seriously throws off my breathing rhythm during motos. It's just not a viable long-term solution.

Has anyone else run into this with their e-bikes? I'm thinking of maybe fitting a horn, controlled via a clutch lever or something. Any other suggestions or mods you've tried?

Cheers
Vince Friese. 😂