2018 Alta MXR Shock Re-Spring and Re-Valve

snydes

Staff member
If you are only an hour and a half from highland park I’ll see you next winter! I assume you got it from them? That’s where I did my demo ride. I would have bought one of their 2017’s if I had been ready to buy.

Steve

MattB

Awesome! Let me know when you are coming, I will meet you up there and then we can ride at my place as well.

Charlie is definitely a character! LOL!

Matt

Fog 25

Here’s what I found what seams to work for me today.
Rider 225LB
Recommend by Alta ( what I went to)
WP AER48 Front Fork
10.5 bar / 152 psi (135psi) still might try a lower psi.
LSC = 14 clicks out from seated. (19)
LSR = 11 clicks out from seated. (12)

2018 Rear Shock With Low Leverage Link
60 N/mm spring. Need to try a 6.3 spring
Dynamic Sag = 90mm. (90mm)
Spring Pre-Load = 10mm. ( Haven’t measured yet but I’m sure it’s more than 10 mm have to go to a 6.3 spring)
LSC = 16 clicks out from seated. (18)
HSC = 2.0 full turns out from seated. (2.0)
LSR = 19 clicks out from seated. (19)

Going to do some more testing in the next couple of days. 4A25419A-8258-4F63-BBE5-10FEEB2AB5CB.jpeg

Fog 25

Hey Fog 25,

Are you primarily riding trails or mx track?

Thanks!

MattB
Mx track mainly. If I was going to Trailride I would increase static sag and soften the compression from 3 to 5 clicks. Should give you more high speed stability. Try different settings and dial it in to a feel that you like. You would be surprised on how the change makes the bike feel. Be safe.

Fod

I rode my MXR first time today with Fog 25...we are rockstars with these bikes! Haha

So one thing I noticed that is pretty sketchy is that our bikes need a glide plate (Very important for track). I followed another buddy as we hit a jump...~100ft or so (Fog may know better) but anyways my buddy lands no problem and I land about half a bike length past (pretty large landing) and with the soft suspension my bike cases even though we are on the transition of the landing. Luckily the track was still fresh so when the frame cradle dug into the landing it exploded the dirt everywhere and almost sent me over the bars....gripping with my boots on the last bit of seat gripper. It was crazy...as if an airbag exploded under me upon landing! Glad to ride that one out...barely...but point of the matter is get a glide plate on this bike or it may bite you on big soft landings. I am 180 lbs and not anywhere close to pushing limits of this bike or any bike. Just a heads up!!!! Fog and I have SXS glide plates on back order.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
A low ground clearance is something that Alta has not fixed with the MXR. I try to gas the bike before landing and never land on both wheels. Do not like jumping big jumps on this bike. A skid/glide plate may not help, the footpeg mounts dig in first. A new subframe with higher mounted footpegs is the only "easy" solution that I see.

Reactions: Fod

snydes

Staff member
I rode my MXR first time today with Fog 25...we are rockstars with these bikes! Haha

So one thing I noticed that is pretty sketchy is that our bikes need a glide plate (Very important for track). I followed another buddy as we hit a jump...~100ft or so (Fog may know better) but anyways my buddy lands no problem and I land about half a bike length past (pretty large landing) and with the soft suspension my bike cases even though we are on the transition of the landing. Luckily the track was still fresh so when the frame cradle dug into the landing it exploded the dirt everywhere and almost sent me over the bars....gripping with my boots on the last bit of seat gripper. It was crazy...as if an airbag exploded under me upon landing! Glad to ride that one out...barely...but point of the matter is get a glide plate on this bike or it may bite you on big soft landings. I am 180 lbs and not anywhere close to pushing limits of this bike or any bike. Just a heads up!!!! Fog and I have SXS glide plates on back order.

Yeah, I spent more time answering questions the one day out than I did riding. It was ok though, I liked telling people about it.

During one ride on a tabletop that was fairly soft in the middle I made the mistake of completely chopping the throttle when landing on top. The combination of the softer dirt and the strong regen braking caught me off guard and threw me forward pretty good. Something new to get adjusted to I suppose.

A low ground clearance is something that Alta has not fixed with the MXR. I try to gas the bike before landing and never land on both wheels. Do not like jumping big jumps on this bike. A skid/glide plate may not help, the footpeg mounts dig in first. A new subframe with higher mounted footpegs is the only "easy" solution that I see.

As far as ground clearance to the bottom of the cradle, I compared it to my two 450's and they were all within a quarter inch. It's those peg mounts that are the issue. A revised mount is probably in their future design improvements since I've heard this same issue now from several people.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The ground clearance is significantly lower, even if measured to the subframe. Just notice how far the wheels are off the ground on the Alta when it is on a center stand. This is why it feels so heavy when lifting it -- because you have to lift it higher than other bikes to get onto the same center stand.

Fog 25

FYI Be careful when removing the upper shock bolt mine was frozen in the collar and actually broke. Was going to install 63 spring but with the broken bolt won’t be able to test it until probably end of next week.

67FC379C-CC72-4582-89E4-1EE580513D70.jpeg

3519DED3-D17F-45A5-87F5-CE6ED6A2EE02.jpeg

snydes

Staff member
The ground clearance is significantly lower, even if measured to the subframe. Just notice how far the wheels are off the ground on the Alta when it is on a center stand. This is why it feels so heavy when lifting it -- because you have to lift it higher than other bikes to get on the same center stand.

I measure 12 to 12 1/4” on all three of mine to the bottom cradle.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I measure 12 to 12 1/4” on all three of mine to the bottom cradle.
I do not want to start a measuring party tonight. I just remember that, compared to my Husky TC250 and my YZ450F, the Alta had the tops of their foot pegs 40mm lower. And the bottoms of the footpeg mounts were 60mm lower. In fact, the ground clearance was within a 1/4" of the rear fender clearance (which was utilized fully).

Either way, I think I will be adding either teflon or rubber spacers under the rear shock's jounce rubber to reduce the rear suspension travel. I do not want the rear tire rubbing on the fender, or the subframe/cradle bottoming on the ground.

snydes

Staff member
I do not want to start a measuring party tonight. I just remember that, compared to my Husky TC250 and my YZ450F, the Alta had the tops of their foot pegs 40mm lower. And the bottoms of the footpeg mounts were 60mm lower. In fact, the ground clearance was within a 1/4" of the rear fender clearance (which was utilized fully).

Either way, I think I will be adding either teflon or rubber spacers under the rear shock's jounce rubber to reduce the rear suspension travel. I do not want the rear tire rubbing on the fender, or the subframe/cradle bottoming on the ground.

I agree the pegs are the low point, I’m talking about the tubes of the “battery” cradle. Now all my other bikes are old, so maybe the newer ones increased clearance, but mine are all nearly even to the bottom of the tubes.