3 issues with my Stark Varg in 1 week.

F451

Just speculating here, but shipping a battery of unknown condition seems like a big risk, not even sure the carriers would allow it on their trucks, ships, planes, etc. Not to mention the high cost to get it back to Spain to have it checked out. Not sure how much remote visibility Stark has into the mechanical state of the battery and associated components, but if they shipped a "bad" battery and it somehow resulted in a fire, I would imagine Stark would be liable for damages, and god forbid someone got hurt or worse.

I wonder if Stark is considering setting up a repair type tech facility here in the US that could diagnose battery/electronic issues? If not, they should. Taking it further, doing repairs and reconditioning of batteries, electronics, and motors would also make sense. If Stark doesn't do it, perhaps some enterprising people will take it on.

I don't see your typical motorcycle dealerships offering these service, but perhaps they will some day.

I know there are some electric bicycle motor repair operations here in the US and in the UK (probably Europe too) that service electric bicycle motors (and sell rebuild components), I guess its only a matter of time before someone starts doing this for e-dirt bikes, especially if the dealerships don't get into this business.

wfopete

To be clear, I don't believe the battery itself is bad, rather the software/hardware that contained in those cases.

The BMS would likely show if a battery cell(s) had a problem. BTW my battery was shipped out of TX where Stark has a distribution center located.

Chaconne

To be clear, I don't believe the battery itself is bad, rather the software/hardware that contained in those cases.

The BMS would likely show if a battery cell(s) had a problem. BTW my battery was shipped out of TX where Stark has a distribution center located.
That the batteries went bad after a firmware update is highly suspicious and points to software rather than hardware. Somebody likely mucked up their Arm assembly code optimization. Been there done that.

Theo

Just speculating here, but shipping a battery of unknown condition seems like a big risk, not even sure the carriers would allow it on their trucks, ships, planes, etc. Not to mention the high cost to get it back to Spain to have it checked out. Not sure how much remote visibility Stark has into the mechanical state of the battery and associated components, but if they shipped a "bad" battery and it somehow resulted in a fire, I would imagine Stark would be liable for damages, and god forbid someone got hurt or worse.

I wonder if Stark is considering setting up a repair type tech facility here in the US that could diagnose battery/electronic issues? If not, they should. Taking it further, doing repairs and reconditioning of batteries, electronics, and motors would also make sense. If Stark doesn't do it, perhaps some enterprising people will take it on.

I don't see your typical motorcycle dealerships offering these service, but perhaps they will some day.

I know there are some electric bicycle motor repair operations here in the US and in the UK (probably Europe too) that service electric bicycle motors (and sell rebuild components), I guess its only a matter of time before someone starts doing this for e-dirt bikes, especially if the dealerships don't get into this business.
All this makes sense, but if the alternative is to leave a dangerous battery at someone's house, well, that could result in injuries, deaths, or other troubles, too. Besides, I don't know about you but personally I'm not sure about the legal way in which I would be supposed to dispose of an EV battery, where I live.

Chaconne

How exactly does this happen? The battery firmware is faulty, and then cannot be overwritten or rolled back after updating? This happened to at least one e-MC manufacturer I know of.
Typically yes it can be rolled back. But if the update causes damage to physical parts say like a bus or a chip (usually by overheating) then it is toast. BTW just to be clear the programming causes an issue in the circuitry. Remember firmware can often be directly controlling hardware and sometimes in lab QA/diagnostics doesn't catch everything. Seen chips go to smoking hot and burn a tech's finger and nothing detected it until he touched it.

rayivers

How
Typically yes it can be rolled back. But if the update causes damage to physical parts say like a bus or a chip (usually by overheating) then it is toast. BTW just to be clear the programming causes an issue in the circuitry. Remember firmware can often be directly controlling hardware and sometimes in lab QA/diagnostics doesn't catch everything. Seen chips go to smoking hot and burn a tech's finger and nothing detected it until he touched it.

Oh OK, now I get it - thanks for the clarification. Wow, I guess bad firmware updates could maybe fry a lot of stuff on the bike.

ReVolter

Hey tim, I’m just reading your thread. My bike will not charge 110/120 with the stark oem adapter. My bike would not charge my phone in the docking station, until very recent with an app update. Also my bike/ stand, charger will mildly shock me when the charger is in a 220/240 outlet. Regardless if plugged in bike.My electrician said my plug from charger is improperly wired. I/ we are not touching anything till I hear from Stark. Can you explain to me what was wrong with your plug? And did you have 110 charging problems as well? All of my outlets being utilized for charging the bike are all new and they are actually on their independent own circuit, including the 110. To describe the shocking it’s similar like if you put a 9 V battery on your tongue, but a little bit more significant. The crazy thing is it actually transmitted through the rear fender of the bike as well, which doesn’t make any sense at all. I’m waiting to hear back but just curious what did you find wrong with your plug?
Some of the chargers shipped with improperly wired plugs. The insulation on my was not stripped back far enough and the wires were being clamped on the insulation. I didn't find out until my plug melted because of the poor connections. I have replaced it with a new L14-30 plug which I purchased locally. I think Stark will be sending me a new cable after I reported the problem. The wires not making proper contact in the plug could be your problem.

ReVolter

I did a battery swap in Canada and shipped back the old one under warranty. Just remember to print the hazardous material documents in color and triplicate. Don't attach them to the packaging. The battery swap didn't fix all my problems, but they had diagnosed the bike remotely and decided I needed a new battery. Later, I had a 1 hour zoom session with a technician in Spain and he was remotely connected to my bike. I determined that the problem was that the power button was getting stuck in the pressed position randomly.
All this makes sense, but if the alternative is to leave a dangerous battery at someone's house, well, that could result in injuries, deaths, or other troubles, too. Besides, I don't know about you but personally I'm not sure about the legal way in which I would be supposed to dispose of an EV battery, where I live.

Chaconne

I did a battery swap in Canada and shipped back the old one under warranty. Just remember to print the hazardous material documents in color and triplicate. Don't attach them to the packaging. The battery swap didn't fix all my problems, but they had diagnosed the bike remotely and decided I needed a new battery. Later, I had a 1 hour zoom session with a technician in Spain and he was remotely connected to my bike. I determined that the problem was that the power button was getting stuck in the pressed position randomly.
I have posted in a few spots about the power button, it is very susceptible to dirt intrusion and will cause undefined behavior once it starts to stick (like leaving you dead way out in the woods). It is very easy to do too. One get off and your handlebars go deep into soft terrain or mud and there will likely be dirt intrusion. Fortunately it is an easy fix to install a new one. I bought 2 just in case it was over 100.00 for 2.

I wonder if you even needed that battery swap? The power button is going to need a redesign I think, not every use case is on a track where a truck is relatively close. I was far out in the woods alone when my bike died and then kept on cycling into update mode and other weirdness, after pushing the bike for a while out of frustration I found some very sharp rose briers and ran them around the edge of the button and the housing by doing this I was able to break the stickiness enough to make an escape.

One final note I am going to put a master link in my chain for emergencies, I don't carry a chain breaker in my tool kit and pushing the Stark is like pushing an ICE bike stuck in gear with only the clutch for disengagement as it is.

wfopete

Good stuff. I'm not going to buy a part that all ready has a problem but I understand your need. I think Stark will likely redesign numerous components of the bike in the near future and the aftermarket will grow also. I can see a "Top Ten tips" or "Prepping your Varg for Off Road" articles coming out from various media source soon.

I was riding my Varg in slow technical terrain with several demanding hill climbs while in 90 degree weather. Twice the bike went into stand by mode after failing a climb and wrestling it around. It would not power back up for several minutes. I figured the motor got hot but I don't know for sure, I was starting to get a little worried that I would have to leave my bike in the woods a hike out. Needs to be a way of being able to monitor the temp of the motor and such.

Chaconne

Good stuff. I'm not going to buy a part that all ready has a problem but I understand your need. I think Stark will likely redesign numerous components of the bike in the near future and the aftermarket will grow also. I can see a "Top Ten tips" or "Prepping your Varg for Off Road" articles coming out from various media source soon.

I was riding my Varg in slow technical terrain with several demanding hill climbs while in 90 degree weather. Twice the bike went into stand by mode after failing a climb and wrestling it around. It would not power back up for several minutes. I figured the motor got hot but I don't know for sure, I was starting to get a little worried that I would have to leave my bike in the woods a hike out. Needs to be a way of being able to monitor the temp of the motor and such.
That is worrying with the hot summer upon us here on the East Coast US at least. Dying on a gnarly hill climb in 90 degree weather with humidity sucks --been there done that.

I was thinking it might be your battery rather than your motor. The motor is liquid cooled the battery is air-cooled and there have been reports of heat problems under heavy load with the battery.