Alta Error Codes

datadog

The fact that there's history of similar contactor problems on other electric bikes (not sure if it's the same part) is even more disturbing as Alta "should have known better". Also, even a proven part will be unreliable if it's mismatched to the system it's incorporated into. I'm no EV bike historian, but from my limited exposure my impression is that the Alta's bus voltage is considerably higher than most other OEMs. The chosen contactor along with any pre-charge/voltage switching components and algorithms would need to be qualified for this environment. Something went wrong somewhere . . . . .

Out of almost 1000 bikes, I think I saw three instances of contactor weld. That's not really too terrible.

Mark911

It's not the fact that the part failed but that it failed on a new bike. Contactor "welding" or sticking is typically a degenerative condition caused by repetition. If the vendors infant failure rate is 3/1000 then they're performing to spec I guess.

ageess

hi guys my Alta says now in the display ...............service 9 v starter battery..........................and no error code, what do i have to do ? Where can i find the 9v battery ? Any ideas ?

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
hi guys my Alta says now in the display ...............service 9 v starter battery..........................and no error code, what do i have to do ? Where can i find the 9v battery ? Any ideas ?

ageess, the 9vdc battery can be purchased online. Its possible that you can find it locally.

The video above describes the process

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
All three of us were going for the same video. Snydes beat us to it! He must have gotten a good nights sleep last night.......

leeo45

Geezer in denial
At 1:48 the video states that you must connect to the diagnostic laptop after replacing the 9v battery and reconnecting the main battery. Is this only if the firmware is not up to date or anytime the 9v battery is replaced?

datadog

Alta always recommended that the dealer hook up the laptop anytime any work was done. Just standard procedure. I think you can replace the battery (if that is indeed the problem) and codes will go away on their own. The batteries are designed to endure 10 years of normal use. If owners are seeing batteries fail now, there may be a parasitic drain that will cause the problem to reoccur more frequently than normal. That's where more diagnosis was recommended when the 9v failed.

ageess

okay, i asked because this message occures after two hours work on the light unit, with sometimes ignition on for 15min etc , so that means once it is below 9v or decharged it need to be replaced ?

datadog

okay, i asked because this message occures after two hours work on the light unit, with sometimes ignition on for 15min etc , so that means once it is below 9v or decharged it need to be replaced ?

There is a threshold, and I can't recall what the voltage is, where the ACM will issue the warning on the dash. If it is present, the battery should be replaced. There usually is some condition present that is causing the battery to drain, so it's important to determine what that is. Once the voltage drops below a second threshold, the bike will not key on.

bluefxstc

Anyone know if the video about removing the HV battery is available? I didn't see it on Alta's YouTube channel or in the video section on the forum, but may have missed it. Might be nice to have a maintenance video section, just an idea.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Anyone know if the video about removing the HV battery is available? I didn't see it on Alta's YouTube channel or in the video section on the forum, but may have missed it. Might be nice to have a maintenance video section, just an idea.

ALTA Main Battery Removal/Installation

(These videos are 'unlisted' on the ALTA YT channel)

As a reminder to anyone who hasn't been part of the previous discussions on this topic, the connectors on the HV battery are not intended to be disconnected/reconnected on a frequent basis.

datadog

We did one. Don't know why it's not there.