BAD NEWS

SuburbanDad

If Alta does close I will regrettably be selling my 2018 MXR with 7.3 hours on it ...

how much $$$ are you looking to get for it?

I haven't decided what my price point is for getting a second one since I don't really *need* one, but if any on the market go on 'fire sale', I will likely snag an extra. Perhaps we should start a thread for folks looking to ditch their bike(s). I'd be watching it pretty closely :)

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
@Philip - check out uship.com ... probably $400 to MI in 3 days. I have had 2/2 very quick and good experiences with uship in the past 2yr, still vet / be cautious.
I tried using them last November to ship my MX from NY to AZ. Got some quotes, but only after 2-3 weeks. Also tried Freightquote.com, I have an account with them. Nobody knows how to ship bikes, everyone wants square containers. Ended up paying $550 to the dealer to use their sources to ship to me. They used haulbikes.com, they had a dealer account with them. Without an account it is $700 to ship a bike across the country.

I think I will wait for a few days. After the announcement either the SMs will become even cheaper, or we will start waiting for the SMRs again.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Personally, I am glad I was able to get one when I could. I definitely would prefer them to succeed and keep the supply chain live, but I got the bike I wanted and it has been glorious for the last 18 months or so.

I will definitely be on the prowl for consumables that will be rare in the future. However, zero regrets. And I am saying that as an early customer that paid $15k for a 2017 MX.
That is exactly the way I feel about it. Zero regrets. I know from experience after 4 years or so, our batteries will need to be replaced to maintain optimal performance. I know a battery builder in Vegas, but I don't know if he would mess with a battery thats over 400 volts hot off the charger. If the worst case scenario plays out, getting a new battery will be the biggest part of the equation for keeping our machines running down the road.

Speedkills

My little brother sent me this one on Craigslist on the west coast a few days ago. Seems to still be for sale at a super price.

2018 Alta Redshift SM Electric Motorcycle

That's mine. Must have had 30 people email me about it over the past couple of months, nobody offered more than 7k. At that price I'm inclined to just keep it as a second/parts bike but I am moving soon so could use the cash and less things to haul. Still, surprised nobody in SF seems serious, everyone here has the cash, just no interest I guess. Had a few out of state guys interested then back out when they can't figure out cheap shipping. I offered to drop it off someplace to have it crated but am not about to do it myself. It was pretty surprising, I've sold over 20 bikes over the years, usually by the third person it's gone, Alta generates way more interest than usual, but far less serious buyers. Could be an SF thing? No idea really.

privateer703

AOF Addict
Cycle trader still shows like 50 new Alta's for sale for those that are looking for another.
All those listed on cycle trader are in dealer showrooms and the dealers can't sell them.
I'd be interested in buying either an EXR or MXR EVEN if Alta does go under. I'm pretty positive about the ability of the smart folks on this site and elsewhere to get the source code and figure out a way to replace/refurbish our batteries and fix our chargers. Those are the only pieces that I'm worried about.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Philip just ride it back home until the battery runs low and pull into the local hotel and take a nap and recharge. 👍
Tempting! But I have already done the math. At 40 miles/day it would take me 3 months to get back home. Also, about $15K in hotel and food. And by the time I get back home I won't have my day job. I would still do it, if I could take a 3-month sabbatical. Not in a late fall - winter though.

banned

Hello all,

I have one EXR in stock that we are able to sell as it it floored through Wells Fargo, not Alta.. Obviously warranty etc is all up in the air since we've yet to hear any official direction in regards to that but if anyone is just looking to get their hands on a 2019 EXR and doesn't care about the other details we have one here with rapid charger. Feel free to message for pricing.

evh1

Just weighing in here as we wait for news with some recent purchase info and thoughts in lieu of a new thread...I bought my RedShift EXR on 10/13/18. Going back to the dealer several days later to order a new rear fender tail - yeh, looped it getting used to the torque,lol - we called Alta Parts after he got a blank page on his dealer order site. No one answered the phone. We did get an "order pending" finally online.
I tried to register my new bike thru the dealer portal as requested by Alta and it had been taken offline.

Then having read about a Throttle Electrical glitch recall, we looked it up and it had been downloaded onto his Alta laptop, so we downloaded it and applied to the bike. It remapped the throttle map due to a reported problem that when abruptly closing the throttle, the bike motor would not "turn off abruptly" which would not only suck on the trail, but would super suck in traffic!!
All other Alta to Dealer uploads to date were also loaded to the bike - so I'm up to snuff.
I didn't think ask and do not know how the setup was for Alta dealers as being able to use/reuse Alta electrical diagrams/files/fixes/reboots, but wouldn't the dealer not retain all the working files and such for future use to "repair" glitches for use upon purchasing the dealer agreement ? Maybe earlier buyers will be able to make use of this perhaps? Or, is such stuff proprietary and made inoperable now by Alta somehow ? I guess we can hope for this to be released if not retained by the dealers on their Alta laptops ?

Anyhoo, back to anxiously waiting "fo'goot news", doing some backyard silent moto and watching Alabama football on TIVO because I'll ride over watching Bama any Saturday !

banned

Would you mind listing your available parts here or PM those interested? I think several of us will take you up on extra parts if we could see all available. Got a rear fender/tailight/tag assembly - LOL !!

Currently only have 2 white MX front fenders and 1 SM front fender left and one more kickstand kit. I do have a New Rage Cycles FEL kit which would act as a tailight tag assembly I believe if you're talking for an EXR / SM.

Trialsman

I bought a 17 MX and converted it to a fully street legal "EX". I really hope Alta survives as the bike is outstanding. I have many bikes and can choose what I want to ride - most times I choose the Alta. They really did their homework when they designed it and the fabrication/assembly was done with ultimate care. I will continue to ride it as long as I can but would like a schematic for the electrical system as I still want to develop an electric clutch for really nasty terrain. I am very glad I bought it when I did.