Broken display - solution?

snydes

Staff member
I think it's likely you will get a few orders for those. Cheap insurance against what is looking to be a common crash casualty.

snydes

Staff member
Interesting observation, but it probably means that Alta didn't have the display custom made for them. If they did why would they put a check engine light on it? Probably came from something else, we just need to figure out what.

My remark was two sided... mainly due to the fact that my light is on constant from my battery fault and glaring me in the face. Interesting choice on the icon for sure. As you said, probably not made specifically for Alta.

bluefxstc

I feel all warm and fuzzy when I see no Alta check engine light knowing my oil is good and the valves are in spec. It seriously is a good idea to find who's display they use.

On another note the prototype is finished. I cut more weight off it, rounded the edges, and powder coated it. The weight is about 250g and should eliminate the crashed display worry, although nothing is ever a certainty.

I am interested, let me know when you are ready for orders. Need to protect my investment and future riding fun. :love:

Trialsman

Will someone confirm the 18-19 models MXR has these mounting ears on the top triple clamp since they are an important mount point for the guard? IMG_5328.jpg

rayivers

Yes, both the '18 and '19 MXRs have those mounting ears. Please sign me up for one of your display guards too, thanks.

Trialsman

Great, Thanks. I was going to take it to the CNC today and wanted to make sure it was accurate for all bikes, not just my '17 MX (turned EX).

strider

Thanks for doing this! I'm on the fence as to get one of these or move it behind the bars (I'm not using a steering damper). But your solution would give a lot more protection than stock without me having to fab something.

Trialsman

I ran around yesterday and got materials quoted, drawings made, talked with the CNC machinist, and started the program for milling/drilling. The final product will be anodized and contain stainless hardware to attach to the bike. I can get 19 pc per bar and there is a price break for three bars (4"x1.75"x12'). Looks like the price will be $109 plus shipping unless I can make the three bar price break where I will still do it for $99 plus shipping. I would need about 38 people to warrant the third bar and price. The really good news is that I can get it CNCed late next week or early the following with another couple days at the anodizer, so well before Christmas. Phillip, How do you want me to handle this? In this thread or start something in "Parts"? I will not accept money until I have the product in hand.

bluefxstc

I ran around yesterday and got materials quoted, drawings made, talked with the CNC machinist, and started the program for milling/drilling. The final product will be anodized and contain stainless hardware to attach to the bike. I can get 19 pc per bar and there is a price break for three bars (4"x1.75"x12'). Looks like the price will be $109 plus shipping unless I can make the three bar price break where I will still do it for $99 plus shipping. I would need about 38 people to warrant the third bar and price. The really good news is that I can get it CNCed late next week or early the following with another couple days at the anodizer, so well before Christmas. Phillip, How do you want me to handle this? In this thread or start something in "Parts"? I will not accept money until I have the product in hand.

I am in at either price. Let me know where to send the money and how much for shipping. Thanks

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
How would MX/MXR owners mount the front number plate when using this?

I think I need the Version 2. I have a MX and use a PoliSport Lookos headlight with it's own battery pack. The Lookos has outputs for taillights and brake lights, kinda a neat system. I couldn't use the headlight and this guard at the same time.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Philip, How do you want me to handle this? In this thread or start something in "Parts"? I will not accept money until I have the product in hand.
I think there will be more than one final product (EX, MX, behind the bar, etc). Therefore, it will probably be best if you start a new Group Buy thread in the current forum, or in one of the Parts and Accessories sub-forums. Then post a link to your new thread in this thread, so that your potential customers can find it easier.

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
I put something together too... folded/nested stainless sheet metal with a heavy poly-carbonate lens.
I wasn't liking the idea of connecting some big brick to my triple clamp mounts and risking breaking those off in a crash, so this is designed to just wrap the display unit, using the existing flimsy mount, although, in the event of a crash, the display should be well protected.

Build and fit news to follow.

Alta Dash Guard_0.png

Alta Dash Guard_1.png

Alta Dash Guard_2.png

Alta Dash Guard_3.png