Broken display - solution?

Trialsman

I have been following this thread from the beginning since I want my bike to survive as well. I thought of several methods to protect the display, some better than others. It might be nice to move the display behind the steering stem but it would mean you could not use a steering damper which I already made up for my bike. The main goal was to protect it in place (I choose the EX placement which seemed better than the MX.) I made up a template and when satisfied with the design I started milling a solid block of 2024 aluminum, most of which became chips on the floor. I was going to wait until it was all done but decided to let you in on what I am up to. I have arranged with another machinist to write the program and put it on his CNC mill. Looks like with materials, programing, and machine time I could offer it for about $99 plus shipping. Even if no one else sees this as a very prudent thing to protect the value of the Alta I will have one on mine.

My only fear is that I don't drop my display while I am doing the necessary measurements and fitting.

IMG_5306.jpg
IMG_5309.jpg
IMG_5311.jpg

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
If it will save you money, I will happily make a solid model and drawing you can hand off to your machinist.

Yea don't drop it. I droped mine and the two posts on the back broke off. Need to use zip ties to hold it on now 🤮

Trialsman

Thanks, I am hoping to have it done tomorrow, I'll let you know how the process is going and if I need to take you up on your offer. By the way, I messed up the screws getting the display off the bracket and have to use foam doughnuts to keep it in place.

bluefxstc

I The LCD itself is cracked. I did take it apart and it has Alta printed all over the board
I took that as the board had Alta printed on it which is different from the display or individual components on the board being propitiatory Alta. From what I saw in the pictures the display is removable, and if you can find a replacement, maybe replaceable. It depends if there is any initializing/programming in the display unit. Even in the pictures of the display with the cracked board and component, that looks repairable. If commercially available, the component can be replaced and the board can probably be repaired. The only issue with component replacement is if you can find the replacement, and sites like digikeyliterally have 1000s of components. I did a search of digikey's site and they have over 9000 LED displays listed so maybe the Alta display is one of them. If it is not an Alta chip, which it probably isn't, and it doesn't contain programmed memory, then it is probably replaceable/repairable. You have to look for part numbers on the chip or display and see if replacements are available. I doubt that Alta had many, if any, chips made specifically for them. I would think/guess that would be a level of manufacturing that would be cost prohibitive for a start up motorcycle manufacture. They could have proprietary code to program chips with, but probably not custom chips.

All that being said, I have done PCB repair and component replacement, but I am not a programmer nor have I ever designed a chip, so custom chips could be cheaper than I thought. Maybe Alta did design and equip the bikes with custom designed chips and replacements are unobtainium, but I wouldn't assume you can't find replacements just because the board has Alta printed on it.

snydes

Staff member
Just thinking out loud but maybe you could think about a variation to put it behind the bars for those who don't plan on a stabilizer? Would also be attractive to those who prefer a crossbar style bar on an MX bike.

Making these displays less vulnerable now is definitely priority since we have several people who have damaged displays. Great job @Trialsman !

privateer703

AOF Addict
I will be making a 3d model of the display for an aluminum guard mounted just behind the handlebars. My idea is to incorporate the top handlebar clamps as the mounting point.
On the topic of the display board, even if you found the mfr "SC" they won't be able to do anything until Alta finalizes thier situation. I believe the display cam be replaced but it has to be removed from the board, there should be identifying marks on the back.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
On the topic of the display board, even if you found the mfr "SC" they won't be able to do anything until Alta finalizes thier situation.
They might be able to sell/exchange new LCDs to current SOL owners, after removing or not removing any identification marks from them. Or exchange the complete PCBA. That is if they are the ones soldering everything together.
I believe the display can be replaced but it has to be removed from the board, there should be identifying marks on the back.
Waiting for @John Lindemann or @SuburbanDad to do that...

Trialsman

It's taking a little longer than I expected and I made a pile of chips, but I have the prototype far enough to test mount it. All parts of the display are visible and buttons can be used with the guard in place. The thickness is about 3/16" so it would take a lot of load to deform the guard let alone the display which is rubber isolated inside. I may not be able to work on it for a day or two but will post finished pictures when completed next week.
IMG_5312.jpgIMG_5320.jpgIMG_5321.jpg

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot that on the EX(R) the display sits ahead of the handlebar. This is why it breaks!

@Trialsman -- I would round all corners to make this this aluminum block less menacing and anodize it black to make it appear smaller.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone have experience with fiber optics? I am thinking about relocating the display out of harm's way entirely and attaching a couple of fiber optic cables to it -- one to see the yellow warning light and the other to see the green bezel indicator. Will these cables be visible in broad daylight?

rayivers

If you're not using a steering damper, IMO something worth trying is to cut a 64 x 120mm piece of @ 1mm-thick stainless plate, then drill two M8 holes 90mm apart centered @ 12mm in fm one long side to fit under the rear bar-clamp bolt heads (washers needed under plate to clear top clamp recesses). Once mounted, bend the plate down to roughly the desired angle & drill two M5 holes 90mm apart for the display mounting screws. Mount the display, finalize the bend angle, done. I'd run the display cable under the bars (my MXR has plenty of additional cable for this).

This results in a semi-rigid mounting about 70mm back fm stock & below the bar clamp bolts (coolant port still accessible). No mounting setup is 100% immune to contact, but this one seems pretty good to me, and if impact does occur, there's some give to minimize crushing / cracking. Other enhancements can be added to further protect the display, but this should be an easy & effective start.

Trialsman

I feel all warm and fuzzy when I see no Alta check engine light knowing my oil is good and the valves are in spec. It seriously is a good idea to find who's display they use.

On another note the prototype is finished. I cut more weight off it, rounded the edges, and powder coated it. The weight is about 250g and should eliminate the crashed display worry, although nothing is ever a certainty.

IMG_5322.jpgIMG_5327.jpg
IMG_5326.jpg