Error 32 - Service required negative weld. not good...

Oded

after a morning ride (no crashes, just some bumps), rode back and everything was perfect. 50% battery left.
turned the bike off, and 10 minutes later, when turning on the bike got the the following error "code 32 - service required negative weld".
bike will not move, and have to be towed.

Read the following thread - Alta Error Codes
and from my understanding, it can be anything from a contactor problem to an internal battery problem.
since I am in Israel, I'll have to resolve the issue online with you guys.
how would you recommend I start before disassembling the bike?

2018 Redshift EX

20190615_100039.jpg

20190615_100041.jpg

Oded

Do you have a service laptop set up with multitool? I’m assuming this will end up being a contactor issue in the battery lid.

@Rashid510

Not yet. Ordering the cables now.
To my understanding, a contactor issue is what I am hoping..
Going to bang on the contactor box now.

Oded

my battery (A pack) is a bit different.
I tapped the the top of the battery. unfortunately, it did not help.
however, now I am getting both error 32 & error 34..
connecting the charger - the bike displays "contactor welded", and it will not charge.

ahhhhh.

snydes

Staff member
Bummer to hear, we will do our best to help resolve this.

For reference, here is the A pack lid. While I haven’t had one of these apart, I’m assuming the contactors are under the raised area with the decal;
082989B3-5D56-42B4-9F41-F6BD8C8D0A79.jpeg

Oded

Code 34 appeared before I plugged the charger (as far as I remember).
I think I finished tapping. Made no difference.

Oded

I am at the dealer now.
Connected to the mt and reset the errors (32 and 34).
Tried to turn on the bike. Pressed the start button and the bike immediately died. No display, no electricity. Turning the switch off and on, does nothing.
Bike is dead.
Any idea?

snydes

Staff member
I wish I could say I had an idea for you. I suspect one way or another this is going to require that battery to come apart. It was still at approximately 50% charge, correct?

It would seem nobody here has had a look at the actual contactors in an A pack, so you might have to be the first one to attempt this repair.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
@Oded , your data cable is on it's way to you. Thank you for the purchase and for supporting the forum!

I suspect that the contactors will become an issue in both A and R packs. The contractors are the relays that connect the high voltage to the system. Like any relay, they are a wear item. As an example: I just replaced a starter motor on a Prevost bus, the symptom was a "slow crank" as if the batteries were low on voltage. The operator put new start batteries in but had the same intermittent slow crank. A new starter fixed the issue, and disassembling the starter solenoid show heavy pitting on the relay contacts. I imagine our battery packs will suffer the same fate over time. The good news is that we have identified the R pack contactors and they seem to be available. We will need to experiment with replacing them, though. The A pack should be the same but we don't have a spare top battery lid available to identify the contactor. We do know they are different between the two packs.

I currently have a 2018 MXR that I'm working on. The issue is definitely a contactor. Hopefully the parts will be delivered soon so I can get that bike up and running.

Let us know what we can do to help. If you do take your battery apart, we can walk you through the process and with your help identify the contactors.

Oded

Thanks guys.
Will a broken contactor cause all elrctricity to shut down, including all 12v components? Bike is completely dead.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Oded, try removing the low voltage plug (NOT THE ORANGE ONE) from the top of battery for about 1 minute and then plugging it back in. See if your bike responds after that.