My Output Shaft Snapped.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
So my output shaft snapped today just behind the front sprocket. Luckily the rear tire didn't lock up but rather the bike freewheeled. Chain slack was normal. I was going through a fast roller section.

20210730_133800.jpg

Heres a pic with the boot guard removed. Collar still over the end of the the shaft on the sprocket side and the sprocket still on.
20210730_195815.jpg
Heres after i got the sprocket off. Looks like a clean break to me.
20210730_201452.jpg

20210730_201500.jpg

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
This makes me very, very sad. Too bad you don't have a backup bike anymore. 😭 :poop:
Luckily it looks like Liquid has the replacement parts, but i may need some guidance replacing it. For now i'll have to shred my 2004 KX 125.

Anyone ever replace the shaft before?

VINSANITY

Wow, a little scary on what could have happened.

I am guessing you ride a little harder than most people, but still you wouldn’t expect this to happen. Alta’s have a lot of torque especially in map 4 so maybe it’s just a matter of time for this to happen on other bikes.

That groove looks pretty square edged so maybe it is a design flaw?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Your probably gonna want these as well since the O-rings were "custom"

Bearings are all press fit..so if you got a hydraulic or arbor press - your set.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Your probably gonna want these as well since the O-rings were "custom"

Bearings are all press fit..so if you got a hydraulic or arbor press - your set.
On that topic, I'm probably going to want to replace all of the orings in there. Do we have a source for the large Oring that goes around the motor?

VINSANITY

TCMB371 should also get new bearings from Liquid, would you have the part numbers as they are likely not listed on ebay.

UKLee

So my output shaft snapped today just behind the front sprocket. Luckily the rear tire didn't lock up but rather the bike freewheeled. Chain slack was normal. I was going through a fast roller section.

View attachment 7517

Heres a pic with the boot guard removed. Collar still over the end of the the shaft on the sprocket side and the sprocket still on.
View attachment 7519
Heres after i got the sprocket off. Looks like a clean break to me.
View attachment 7520

View attachment 7521
In the last picture can I also see the spline cracking right next to your thumb? That would be the back side of where the sprocket sits.

enjoythesilenc

It looks like it had a fissure forming around the circumference of the shaft given the look of the oil contamination. Finally weakened to the point of the remaining material shearing off "cleanly". Point is, maybe it was visibly cracked for a while and that area might need watching as our bikes wear in?

Also, maybe a longer threaded sprocket bolt would help strengthen the shaft as it would span across the fracture zone?

Mark911

Wow! Cracked at the weakest point, the o-ring slot. That square slot is a perfect stress riser. Probably should have machined a slot with much bigger corner radius to reduce the stress concentration. When you get a new shaft you'd be advised to carefully radius those corners with a dremel and then polish the slot to remove any tool marks. Maybe even shot peen as well. Wonder if chain tension was too tight?

rayivers

Based on my motor-replacement experience in my non-Alta bike, if this happened to me I'd change out the entire motor if feasible (I was surprised at the difference fresh magnets made!) and/or send the old one out to Accu Electric or similar for shaft/bearing/seal etc. replacement - remagnetizing - rebalancing if needed.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
In the last picture can I also see the spline cracking right next to your thumb? That would be the back side of where the sprocket sits.
Nah thats just the teeth marks from the vice grips i had to use to hold the broken piece while taking the sprocket off. Before doing that the piece was smooth. It was a clean break right at the oring seat.

Flynryan

How many hours on the bike? Ive snugged up the chain a little too tight before and could feel it in the suspension. Wonder if anyone else has experienced something similar

rayivers

Ive snugged up the chain a little too tight before and could feel it in the suspension. Wonder if anyone else has experienced something similar
Yes, I felt that too last year, so I started running my chain at 40-45mm of slack (Alta manual calls for 30-35mm). When I changed out the shock recently I positioned the swingarm at minimum slack, and found it was almost binding-tight at one point in the wheel rotation. Now I run the equivalent of 45-50mm on a stock bike (mine's been lowered) and find it needs very little adjustment compared to before.

Top Bottom