Newbie need advice on a generator

SHSMITH76

Sorry for being so Naïve, but I missed the Alta wave and have ordered a Varg. It will be my first electric bike and was wondering what brand, type of generator to purchase. I want something quiet, fairly light as I will be taking it in and out of the van, but something with more than enough charging power to top off while I am resting at the track. Thanks in advance for any info!!!

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Any closed frame inverter generator that produces 240v will check all the boxes you want. Depending on your budget I could give you a few suggestions for specific models.

Jayfox911

I have the Briggs linked above. And a little Honda eu2000.

If you don’t ride much a Honda 2000/2200 will be fine. It charges 1/4 battery in about 1-1.5 hours. Which was enough when we went to places where we didn’t ride too much and long breaks between rides.

The 220v generators will do 1/4 battery in about 20 minutes. So for short breaks a 220v is mandatory.

synics

I have the Briggs linked above. And a little Honda eu2000.

If you don’t ride much a Honda 2000/2200 will be fine. It charges 1/4 battery in about 1-1.5 hours. Which was enough when we went to places where we didn’t ride too much and long breaks between rides.

The 220v generators will do 1/4 battery in about 20 minutes. So for short breaks a 220v is mandatory.
That's about right, an hour on 240v gets me about 3/4 charge. It's the longest hour of my life. haha

Flynryan

When I bought my Alta it came with both the slow and fast charger. I used a Yamaha 3000 invertor with the slow charger until getting a Honda EG4000 for the fast charger, which I thought would make it possible to get a full day of riding while charging in between sessions. Not the case.. the battery never gets a chance to cool down and it still takes a while for the fast charger.

Now I'm back to the yamaha 3000 / slow charger AND a 450 which I mix back and forth. I find the 450 is easier to get the feel of the track and “guinea pig” the bigger jumps. Plus the slow charger seems to be easier on the battery.

Good luck! It takes some time to figure out the ideal setup with your riding ability.

DonCox

I have my order in for the Stark also, and I will be needing a 240V power source to charge it at the track. Here is a Inverter Generator that puts out 21 Amps at 240V, and only weighs 86lbs. I bought one of there other generators, the MXR3500, only 120VAC, and it has worked out really well for my application. I run 2 15Amp 72V chargers on my DIY Electric YZ 250F Yamaha. I split the battery into 2 packs so I could charge faster, 15 Amps each on 120VAC.
There are 2 models weight versus cost.

114lb model Portable Inverter Generator 5500W Max 5000 Watt Gas Electric Start w/ CO Alert | eBay $999
86lb model Portable Gas Generator 5500 Watt 120V/240V Electric Start w/CO Alert 5KW Running | eBay $1168 It is the same manufacturer, but I haven't bought from this vendor

The one I bought MXR3500 120V 47lbs MXR3500 3500 Watt Portable Travel Inverter Generator Gasoline Super Quiet | eBay $575

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I have my order in for the Stark also, and I will be needing a 240V power source to charge it at the track. Here is a Inverter Generator that puts out 21 Amps at 240V, and only weighs 86lbs. I bought one of there other generators, the MXR3500, only 120VAC, and it has worked out really well for my application. I run 2 15Amp 72V chargers on my DIY Electric YZ 250F Yamaha. I split the battery into 2 packs so I could charge faster, 15 Amps each on 120VAC.
There are 2 models weight versus cost.

114lb model Portable Inverter Generator 5500W Max 5000 Watt Gas Electric Start w/ CO Alert | eBay $999
86lb model Portable Gas Generator 5500 Watt 120V/240V Electric Start w/CO Alert 5KW Running | eBay $1168 It is the same manufacturer, but I haven't bought from this vendor

The one I bought MXR3500 120V 47lbs MXR3500 3500 Watt Portable Travel Inverter Generator Gasoline Super Quiet | eBay $575
Just check the shipping charges from China...$550 USD!

Otherwise looks like a pretty handy unit for trackside charging.

DonCox

Unfortunately you are right on the Lighter weight model. Shipping is stupidly priced. The heavier one is sold from an Ebay store in So.Cal with free shipping. I bought a 3500Watt gen from them. It was a good experience.
Here are reviews of the generators.
The lightweight 240VAC MXR6250 expensive shipping review:
The heavier 240VAC MXR5500 free shipping $999 review:

EDR1

Sorry for being so Naïve, but I missed the Alta wave and have ordered a Varg. It will be my first electric bike and was wondering what brand, type of generator to purchase. I want something quiet, fairly light as I will be taking it in and out of the van, but something with more than enough charging power to top off while I am resting at the track. Thanks in advance for any info!!!
I noticed that it’s takes every bit of 5KW minimum from my Briggs&Stratton Q6500 to fast charge the Alta MXR.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I noticed that it’s takes every bit of 5KW minimum from my Briggs&Stratton Q6500 to fast charge the Alta MXR.

The rapid charger is a Elcon 3.3kW UHF Canbus charger model H440-10. If its pulling anywhere near 5kW, something is not right. The maximum input is 265v at 16A = 4240watts. At 240v 16A the maximum input power is 3840 watts. This is why I recommended a generator with no less than 240v 4000watts continuous output. As far as I'm aware, Stark is using the same exact charger for the Varg. If i find out otherwise, i will certainly let you all know.

1675710710091.png

I think earlier versions of the charger firmware had the bike requesting 12 amps from the charger but it was later reduced to 10 because its only rated for 10.

EDR1

The rapid charger is a Elcon 3.3kW UHF Canbus charger model H440-10. If its pulling anywhere near 5kW, something is not right. The maximum input is 265v at 16A = 4240watts. At 240v 16A the maximum input power is 3840 watts. This is why I recommended a generator with no less than 240v 4000watts continuous output. As far as I'm aware, Stark is using the same exact charger for the Varg. If i find out otherwise, i will certainly let you all know.

View attachment 9613

I think earlier versions of the charger firmware had the bike requesting 12 amps from the charger but it was later reduced to 10 because its only rated for 10.
I stand corrected. thanks for that info. It was an incorrect assumption on my part due to my B&S Q6500 will stall if I enable the "QPT" (quiet power technology) mode that varies the idle based on the current draw. Disabling that mode so the engine would run at full speed regardless of power was the only mode that would operate the Alta fast charger. I will measure the actual current to fast charge my particular Alta and report back.